Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I had to laugh

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to laugh

I had to laugh today. I am in the process of selling my 97 CTD. This guy calls up about my truck asks how many miles are on it. I say 252K, he says wow thats alot of miles, I responded yes it is but not for a Cummins. He asks what I used it for. I responded it is my daily driver and I occasionally haul a horse trailer. His response was "oh, so you've been a little hard on it." I responded, " If you think hauling my two horse trailer approximately 6 mi. to the local trails abusive, I guess I have been!"

I probably could have come up with a better response but I didn't want to appear rude. I'm positive the DTR crew can surely help me with a better come back.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:37 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
He either doesn't know about these trucks, or he was trying to lay some groundwork to try to get you to low-ball it to him. The right buyer will not be TOO concerned about the mileage--he will be more concerned about how often you changed the oil and did maintenance. 252 thousand is not low-mileage, but these trucks go a LOT further. And you weren't hard on it either. Don't fall for that one.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:11 AM
Banned

Agreed. I have sold many hi mileage trucks. I don't advertise the mileage in the ad so that the person(s) can come see what shape they are in. If the little nickel and dime items are all working they can be assured the drivetrain is fine. Good luck selling your truck.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:30 AM

how much are you asking?/
Old 04-30-2004, 03:53 PM

I figured he was setting the ground work for a low ball offer.

jaconst, I'd tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya , just kidding. I believe the site rules prevent me from just listing the price. You can e-mail me at spines@netzero.net and I will forward it to you.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DrJeff
I figured he was setting the ground work for a low ball offer.

jaconst, I'd tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya , just kidding. I believe the site rules prevent me from just listing the price. You can e-mail me at spines@netzero.net and I will forward it to you.
Could it be?
A member that actually read the rules

Thank you for keeping it to email, and not in the forums.

phox
Old 04-30-2004, 06:20 PM
DPG

Tell him that if he thinks that hauling a 2-horse trailer is really working truck, he should be looking for a half-ton gasser, not a real truck! Just kidding, that's no way to close a sale. Suggest that he come over and you can take him for a ride in your truck. While you are driving him around, be sure to point out the finer qualities of the Dodge/Cummins compared to the average gasser.
You could also refer that person here so that he can become enlightened.

DeWain
Old 04-30-2004, 06:36 PM

Some guys are clueless, I was selling my 91 a few years ago and I had one guy show up and look it over and when I started it he stepped back and stated (( (What is wrong with the engine?)) I just shut it off and walked back into the shop and as politley as possible told him to have a good day so go figure!! Goodluck,,Rick
Old 05-01-2004, 01:14 AM

I wouldn't sell a perfectly good machine to a moron who doesn't even know the first thing about my old baby! (that is, if I HAD a machine I could call my baby!) Just tell him and others like him that the truck you have isn't the one they're looking for and it'll just give them problems in the long-run...which is true. Some guy who only knows about gassers wouldn't think twice about shutting it down w/ a turbo that's at meltdown temps after hauling 15,000 lbs up a hill.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:21 PM

This falls under my whole darn problem. Im out lookin for a new (to me ) dodge cummins. I find plenty, of course ther all 150k -250k. Am i super worried? nah, im getting a 2000 or newer truck for 13-14k. Talked one guy down to 10 for a 99 with 205k i was all ready to sign.

Problem is Im 20, cant get a loan for a lack of credit history. Mother wont cosign to a truck with that hight of mileage. btw her 99 had 140k on it and going fine haha. She dont think about that. all original too.

Im like ok lets look at it this way. Im runnin a 97 360 gasser with 183576.Still going strong, but poor mileage and when you drive the parents cummins and get high teens low 20s and pull everything all around and not to mention the from all the chicks when you fire that bad boy up. grrrr i dislike the picky parents
Old 05-01-2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by kingofdodge7131

Problem is Im 20, cant get a loan for a lack of credit history. Mother wont cosign to a truck with that hight of mileage
Are you only checking at banks, or credit unions, too? My credit union got me a loan when I was 21, no credit history whatsoever, and no cosigner. And at better loans than the bank. And only about 10% down. Just an idea for you...
Chris
Old 05-01-2004, 09:12 PM

Yeah im gettin around, checked one credit union. gave me the same story my banks did haha. oh well life goes on
Old 05-01-2004, 09:14 PM

Okay, just figured I'd mention it. Good luck to you!
Chris
Old 05-01-2004, 09:15 PM

Thanks though, say, neone have a big check they could make out in my name?
Old 05-02-2004, 12:44 AM

tell me where it is , and i will buy it for you! and drive it for you too! I will let you wash it for me-or I mean you!!

Quick Reply: I had to laugh