Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I Guess His Job Was Finished

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Guess His Job Was Finished

Minister dies during sermon on heaven

08:03 AM CST on Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Associated Press

OVIEDO, Fla. - A Presbyterian minister collapsed and died at the pulpit after saying "And when I go to heaven...," his colleague said.

The Rev. Jack Arnold, 69, was nearing the end of his sermon Sunday at Covenant Presbyterian Church when he grabbed the podium before falling to the floor, said the Rev. Michael S. Beats, the church's associate pastor.

Before collapsing, Arnold quoted the 18th-century Bible scholar John Wesley who said, "Until my work on this earth is done, I am immortal. But when my work for Christ is done ... I go to be with Jesus," Beats said in a telephone interview.

Several parishioners with medical backgrounds tried to revive Arnold and paramedics were called, but he appeared to die instantly, Beats said.

Arnold had been the senior minister at the church in this Orlando suburb until the late 1990s when he began traveling to Africa and the Middle East to teach pastors.

The cause of death was believed to be cardiac arrest. He had bypass surgery five years earlier.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, what a way to go. This brings back very strong memories. My father was a minister and always said he wanted to die with his boots on. He had a major heart attack while in the pulpit and died two days later - - just the way he wanted it. He was 82 and still going strong. Quite a guy - - I miss him.

Bob
Old 01-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FiverBob
Wow, what a way to go. This brings back very strong memories. My father was a minister and always said he wanted to die with his boots on. He had a major heart attack while in the pulpit and died two days later - - just the way he wanted it. He was 82 and still going strong. Quite a guy - - I miss him.

Bob
You don't see too many stories that are happy and sad.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Irony at it's finest

Sounds like he went doing what he loved just like FiverBob's father, there is a lot to be said for that. Sure beats getting run over by a Semi

Death is never a welcome visitor to one of our family members, but the joy of knowing your loved one died doing what they loved most, helps ease the pain of loss and gives much needed comfort at a very bad time indeed.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Irony at it's finest

Sounds like he went doing what he loved just like FiverBob's father, there is a lot to be said for that. Sure beats getting run over by a Semi

Death is never a welcome visitor to one of our family members, but the joy of knowing your loved one died doing what they loved most, helps ease the pain of loss and gives much needed comfort at a very bad time indeed.
And, when you know where they went because they planned for the trip, it makes it a blend of sorrow for us but rejoicing for them - - their trip is over and they have their reward. Nice to think about both mom and dad being together again since mother just died this past year. It was a tough Christmas, but I still am happy to have had such wonderful parents and am thankful for the training and lessons they gave me in living.