Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I got rearended tonight, need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad your OK

And good luck getting the truck back on the road and maybe after they fix a few things that death wobble will go away ???

I bet next time you pull over on the shoulder your going to be a nervious wreck

LATER
DM
Old 10-14-2004, 08:15 PM

DON'T TAKE IT TO THE DEALER!

If you don't trust them to take care of a warranty issue, why would you trust them to take care of collision damage? Most dealers farm their collision work out to a local body shop anyhow.

Find a reputable body shop in your area. Ask for references. Ask them ahead of time if they use factory parts or salvage/reman. Look at their shop. Is it clean, well organized? Is it busy? Do they have any trade certifications or participate in trade related training programs? Ask your insurance company for references as well. They will shy away from shops that have problems. The insurance company has to pay for re-work if there are problems down the road.

I was rear ended last year, to the tune of $6600 damage. The shop I took it to is a large shop, very clean and well organized. They gave me a tour of their shop and showed me some of their work in progress. They also explained the whole process and delivered my truck when they said they would. Their lot was also jam packed with cars waiting for work.

I first took it to a large body shop chain. They said they couldn't give me a firm estimate until they put it on a frame machine. The one I took it to gave me a firm number and told me they were going to put it on the frame machine regardless.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:38 PM

I called around to the dealers and you're right, Cowhand, they do just sub out the work. Still waiting on the 1st estimat from the insurance company's "right-hand-shop" they had it all day and told me it would only take a half hour Oh well, I guess I'd rather have them be thourough than rush them. Talked to another shop over the phone, they sounded like they weren't afraid to replace parts, including the axle assembly. He even said he has had to replace the T-case a couple of times, so they are aware of that. My friend's S-10 is proof that they do good work, that's why I'm leaning their way right now.

I did find the law in MN that says that it is unlawful to "require the use of non-OEM parts," so that is good to know. So far, the insurance hasn't tried to sneak anything by me, so that's good. I'm not worried about them totaling it out, in the small chance everything is screwed up, I'd buy it back in a heartbeat! I'm hoping I can get some cash out of the deal for the scratched up bedside and the tire and wheel. I've got the factory set of tires/wheels anyway. Just need to pick up a new set for pulling next year! Right now I just want the truck back together before the snow flies...
Old 10-14-2004, 10:27 PM

Gee, I hope you wasn't comin home from the Alternator shop pickin up some brushes for me!!! Your gonna make me feel guilty as all heck now!!lol sorry to here about the truck,matt. glad you are alright though, sheetmetels replaceable, life and limbs aren't!
Old 10-15-2004, 08:58 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Matt, there's a good chance her defense will be you stopping on the road and you might get dragged into her prosecution. Either way see if the prosecutor will include restitution (to cover the extras) with her sentance.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:04 AM

Matt,

I went through the same thing last July, only the woman that hit me wasn't drunk...... Just stupid.
I was stopped in traffic just over a small rise and she plowed into me at 45mph knocking me into a large commercial truck. $7700 worth of damage. Can you believe that truck is so tough I actually drove it the 1mile home?

Anyway, I learned that it was the law that the insurance company HAS TO GIVE YOU A COMPARABLE VEHICLE while yours is being repaired. I couldn't find anyone renting a 3/4 ton dodge but I got a real nice 1/2 ton truck.
Make sure your state has the same law because of course the insurance company tried to lie and say they wouldn't pay for a truck, they only wanted to pay for a compact.
I told them I knew state law and if they didn't want to pay I was sure the State Insurance Commisioner would talk them into it.

There is no telling how many rights we have under the law that we aren't told about.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:22 AM

Wow, didn't know dealers farmed out body work. All the ones I've used were attached to the dealership and had certified repairmen wearing F**d shirts and ASE cirtificates all over the walls. But they were all in TX. States vary radically from one to another when it comes to this stuff. Usually the dealers are the highest in town, in TX anyway. Good luck with it all.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:32 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Crimedog, I don't see any reference as to whether you got injured. I doubt it after looking at the pictures, but in case you have back or neck problems later, perhaps you need to record with the insurance company some fact that will allow you to go back and make a later claim.
Also, even tho you may have no injuries, make sure the drivers seat frame and headrest is not distorted in some way. Move the seat and backrest thru it's full range of motion to check. Sit in the seat and make sure it feels right.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:23 PM

Good point Stan, I didn't even think of the seats. That's why I love this site!

BIG QUESTION: Will a Dana 80 bolt right in place of a 70? Spring perches in same spot? Same driveshaft length, as in is the pinion snout the same? What about a dually axle, what needs to be done to adapt one into a single rear wheel?

Thanks again for the concern and advice, I appreciate it!
Old 10-16-2004, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dually axle Dana 80 is a bit longer. Would work, but the rear wheels will stick out some. I do not have an answer for the remaining questions.

Watch out for a Dana axle from a Ford. They will bolt in where the Dodge axle came from, but the hub and bolt pattern will be different, especially from newer trucks. Just a caution. Exact same axle otherwise.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:48 PM

State Farm claims people suck. 1 out of 4 people were nice and informative.

Forgive me if this is a little "brusk," as I am a little hot right now. State Farm had a claims adjuster look at the truck (finally, its been 6 days already). The estimate goes as follows,

total was $473.53
Included parts were wheel (I am ASSUMING this means rim and tire) including balancing and mounting: Rear bumper step pad, I didn't see any damage to this, but I guess I'll take a new one if they want to give it to me: Paint damage was said to be able to be buffed out, it is down to the primer, I don't see how they can do that... :

Yep, thats it. They said they spin tested the wheel, and it was running true, so "that would indicate the axle not being bent"
They failed to notice the taillight was broken, and the leafspring was bent (the aligners were bent up, just incase they couldn't see the S in it ) They said tailgate was prior damage, they said nothing about putting it on a frame rack. The tailgate has no real damage, except id doesn't line up, along with the rest of the back corner of the box.

This was a BS estimate and I told them that. I have an appointment tomorrow morning at another shop, IMO they are a much better equipped shop and were a lot more receptive over the phone. I am starting to cool down a bit now, hopefully tomorrow is a better day
Old 10-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Get a couple of real estimates from reputable shops, (including the dealer), and give copys of them to the claims adjuster.

If the other driver was at fault, I don't see why they'd be trying to get "cheezy" with the repairs.
(Unless the other driver was ALSO insured by State Farm)
Old 10-20-2004, 11:03 AM

about the 70 to 80 question yes it will bolt right in
i got one from a wreck yard for $800 off a 98 i think
just make sure to get the same gear ratio
your ubolts might not fit cause the 80 is alot bigger
Old 10-20-2004, 11:18 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Does hte other driver belong to State Farm? Make sure they know it WILL get fixed as new, labor prices go up the more frequently it goes to the shop.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:26 PM

I brought it into my choice of shop last night, I only brought it to the first because the first person I talked to said they were good, and they were pretty busy so I figured they did quality work-boy was I wrong The new shop looked at it this morning, and the first thing he said is I want to go over what I found on the truck because I want to make sure that everything that I have found is addressed, and I want to make sure that everything you were concerned about gets addressed! Now that's the way to begin a conversation Here is what they found:

New bumper, tweaking the box back together to get it to align (it got stressed outwards during the crash, so the frame isn't bent, the springs are pulling it down), new springs, new axle shaft (he said it's too hard to tell if the housing is bent until you get the leaves in), new wheel and tire, paint work on the back corner, taillight, that plastic piece on the tailgate, new tailgate decals (must be repainting it), new rear bed moulding, new fender trim, and a few other small things. Total came to about $2700. I told him what the "insurance company's" claims guy and the previous shop found together (new step pad and wheel and tire), he said you got to be "pooping" me. He was blown away. So, he said he was going to call the claims department and set up a reinspection tomorrow. I asked him if I would be in the way if I was there when they reinspected it, he said not at all. He said it would be hard to set up a time for it to get inspected, because the inspectors go by the day, but I could still go if I wanted. I agreed it would be a bit tough, but he said HE WOULD GO TO BAT FOR ME. I have 100% faith in this shop, I have heard nothing but GREAT things about them.

So things are looking up afterall. And Andy M, if you EVER need some work done, go to Albertville Body shop. A1+ customer service. I finally have a decent on my face...

Quick Reply: I got rearended tonight, need advice...