Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I Got An Idea!!! I Got An Idea!! I Got An Idea!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh, i never did think of that. i figured they would just go dip, okay your good to go
Old 07-12-2005, 03:41 PM

HEY!!! I just thought of a great Idea. Let's all honk our horns when we drive by stations that have diesel priced higher than gasoline. Whatta you guys think? Will it work?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Let's see, you blow your horn when ever you see a place that sells fuel at a high price and this helps how?

By making a nuisance out of yourself in traffic? Not 100% sure but that might be illegal in some areas, not to mention a possible traffic hazard.

If your intent is that whoever is working at the offending fuel station hears you blow your horn, he or she is going to care why? After all the clerks don't set the fuel prices, they just work there.

Since all the fuel stations I see are selling it at a high price how will I decide which one to honk at?

Sorry but I see absolutely nothing that can be gained by blowing your horn all day long......Unless you just like making noise all the time......hmmmmm looking back at your previous posts, I can definitely grasp that scenario
Old 07-12-2005, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Cumns-pwr
oh, i never did think of that. i figured they would just go dip, okay your good to go
Sorry Mr. Police Officer man, I don't know how to pop my hood! No, you can't enter my vehicle without a search warrant, and I have the right to sit here and remain silent.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Muted User

Originally posted by Shovelhead
If it gets to $3.00 a gallon, that $3,000 Home BioDiesel brewing kit might start looking pretty good.

http://www.biodieselsolutions.com/pr...uelmeister.asp
Being the biodiesel is a VERY good solvent, I would avoid buying a plastic or rubber brewer.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:01 PM

I was just kidding Top. I think fuel prices here in the good old USA are a good deal. I work in Africa for a large greedy Oil company . There is a thing called supply and demand. The facility I am at currently produces 250,000 barrels of oil a day. We load a 1,000,000 tanker up every 4 days. A large percent of this oil goes to China. The world demand for crude is growing rapidly. There are a couple billion Chinese who are having economic growth due to all of the cheap stuff we buy from them and some one is teaching them how to drive. Now if there is anyone out there who can honestly say he wouldn't sell his product to the highest bidder let's hear it. Another problem is our refining capacity. It is virtually impossible to build a new refinery due to all the tree huggers. Yes, they drive and they use their air-conditioning, but for heaven sakes don't drill for oil or gas or make fuel in our country. Another one look at Greenpeace, huge hypocrits. They raise heck about us using oil, but they aren't cruising around in a sailboat are they? No, it's got big old diesel engines burning fossil fuels. Heck the greenies, even make it tough to get the needed permits to build new biodiesel and gasahol facilities.

Thanks, I feel better now.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally posted by Iron Mike
I was just kidding Top. I think fuel prices here in the good old USA are a good deal. I work in Africa for a large greedy Oil company . There is a thing called supply and demand. The facility I am at currently produces 250,000 barrels of oil a day. We load a 1,000,000 tanker up every 4 days. A large percent of this oil goes to China. The world demand for crude is growing rapidly. There are a couple billion Chinese who are having economic growth due to all of the cheap stuff we buy from them and some one is teaching them how to drive. Now if there is anyone out there who can honestly say he wouldn't sell his product to the highest bidder let's hear it. Another problem is our refining capacity. It is virtually impossible to build a new refinery due to all the tree huggers. Yes, they drive and they use their air-conditioning, but for heaven sakes don't drill for oil or gas or make fuel in our country. Another one look at Greenpeace, huge hypocrits. They raise heck about us using oil, but they aren't cruising around in a sailboat are they? No, it's got big old diesel engines burning fossil fuels. Heck the greenies, even make it tough to get the needed permits to build new biodiesel and gasahol facilities.

Thanks, I feel better now.
Mike I wasn't talking to you, you posted just before my post hit the forum.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:08 PM

they Edit me and my dad off, but at least we get to have a little fun, like when we are going down the road and see a car with "save the trees" or something retarded like that....i just tell dad right about when his exhaust is pointing toward their window...then he smashes it, and smokes em out
Old 07-12-2005, 04:25 PM

Thanks Top. I hope you don't think my rant was directed at you either. I usually stay out of the high fuel cost discussions, but I just couldn't help myself this time. Everyone will think I am only defending my high wages. The thing is, I get paid the same whether fuel is $1.50 a gallon or $3 and even with my 50% company discount it is still expensive to fill up. But it really is just simple economics. Everyone else in the world thinks that Americans pay an absurdly low price for fuel. Actually I get 10 cents extra in my check for every gallon of fuel we all use at these high prices. , There is a silver lining to these high fuel prices. Maybe the general public will wake up and demand that we start getting some of these fuel efficient cars that are available in almost ever country, except for the US. I would love to see some of the Toyota Hiluxs, 4-runners, and such with 4 and 6 cylinder diesels in them that you can buy overseas. They are really nice and get about double the fuel mileage that my Expedition gets. Did anyone know that they build Isuzu rodeos with diesels in them in Indiana. But they are for export only. Go figure. No, I really don't get a 50% discount on fuel.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Begle1
That works fine, but unfortunately it is a bad idea because the feds check the fuel from the filter if they suspect anything...

Now the honking on the horn idea, that's a good idea!

(I can't help but think that a lot of people are failing to consider that... )
'Round here the only ones that may dip your tank is the state patrol/dot. and they just drop a disposable weighted string type thing into your fill spout and check the color, no testing or nothin. I have never personally had my tank dipped but have seen it done (guess I dont blow enough smoke to warrant any suspition) If you get stopped for any type of traffic infraction by the state partol here and are driving a diesel they are likely to check your fuel. I live in farm country so they are real about tax evasion. If you have farm fuel deliverd to your shop, home, or ranch it is reported to the state patrol at the end of the buisness day, so they know who has farm fuel avaiable to them and who dont. Another thing, if you are useing a auxillary tank for fueling tractors etc. they are going to check your fuel. It is illegal (in this state) to fill your rig by hanging the nozzel over the side of the bed and into your tank. The only way you can run fuel from an auxillary is to hard plumb it. They are much more worried about the lost revenue from tax evasion then anything else
Old 07-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Iron Mike
HEY!!! I just thought of a great Idea. Let's all honk our horns when we drive by stations that have diesel priced higher than gasoline. Whatta you guys think? Will it work?
I agree with Iron Mike completely. I think it would be a great idea!

And Top, if you can't see what honking your horn at gas stations would accomplish, then you're just hopeless. Don't you think that it would just be slightly appealing and satisfying?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I will just continue to quietly vote with my wallet and patronize the stations that offer the best value for the buck.
Not always the lowest price, not always the "neighborhood" shop, but one that treats me like an valued customer instead of a walking wallet.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally posted by Begle1

Don't you think that it would just be slightly appealing and satisfying?
No sir, it doesn't appeal to me at all as it is won't accomplish anything other than to pollute the air with the sound of horns blowing. Nobody who has anything to do with setting the prices on the fuel, will even know it is happening.

The prices on fuel are determined a LONG way from the pumps, and if you really want to do something about it, help decrease the demand for the product. Like ED say's "vote with your wallet" They will hear that loud and clear.

JMHO
Old 07-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
The prices on fuel are determined a LONG way from the pumps, and if you really want to do something about it, help decrease the demand for the product. Like ED say's "vote with your wallet" They will hear that loud and clear.

JMHO
Well, if you really want to do something you should raze your local politicians and put capital into biofuels. With algae, hemp and waste gasification we can make a whole lot of fuel. At what price? Figures vary, but that is the direction we need to be looking in.
And I'm convinced that there's a good bit of price gouging just from gas stations themselves too. Remember 9/11? More than a few stations around were selling gas for $4.00 a gallon with a couple hours after that. You can be certain that they know that they have nothing to loose from the occasional $.01 price creep. (Then again, I've never known any gas station owners with Maserati's, so maybe I'm just paranoid...)

No sir, it doesn't appeal to me at all as it is won't accomplish anything other than to pollute the air with the sound of horns blowing. Nobody who has anything to do with setting the prices on the fuel, will even know it is happening.
And, as previously stated, you're hopeless. (Bloody mature people trying to ruin all of the fun... )
Old 07-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Show of hands: How many "mature" folks have lived through more than 1 "energy crisis".
Fuel prices "skyrocketing", lines at gas stations, rationing, etc.

What, if anything, had an impact on the big bad oil companies way back then?
Boycotting? Picketing? Honking?

Now, how many has Begle lived through?

The defense rests, your honorship.

phox

Quick Reply: I Got An Idea!!! I Got An Idea!! I Got An Idea!