Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I Got An Idea!!! I Got An Idea!! I Got An Idea!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know these prices to us are rediculous and i hate filling up my truck but if you compare our prices to over seas prices we are doin mighty fine. My uncle Lives in Norway and he is now here on vacation, he told me that he pays around 8.00 us dollars per gallon over there, so that makes me feel a little better even though i still go bankrupt everytime i fill er up.....
Old 07-12-2005, 08:55 AM

Can someone give me a quick rundown on the Biodiesel? How is it more cost effective? From what I could tell searching around here, you still have to mix it with regular diesel?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:50 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Dave88LX
Can someone give me a quick rundown on the Biodiesel? How is it more cost effective? From what I could tell searching around here, you still have to mix it with regular diesel?
Bio can be bought at the Pump (already in 5 & 20% mixtures and 100%pure). What people are talking about here is "homebrew" bio, a little different. Widely made from waste cooking oil, filtered and then processed with methanol. (someone correct me if I'm confused here)

For the retail BD pumps: www.biodiesel.org
Old 07-12-2005, 10:00 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by nickleinonen
i'd like to figure out that too...
This is a very simple process.
Buy a 35 gallons of red Diesel mix it with 10.000 gallons of highway diesel and SHAZAM it's no longer red!

Arn't you glad you asked now?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:05 AM

I think the concept of Begle1's post was expressing our discontent with the high cost of Diesel as opposed to gasoline. Laying down on the horn as opposed to driving off without paying. It's a good concept but the one gaining popularity in NC seems to be shooting holes into the price per gallon signs in a drive-by.
Nat
Old 07-12-2005, 10:29 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally posted by ramlovingvet
This is a very simple process.
Buy a 35 gallons of red Diesel mix it with 10.000 gallons of highway diesel and SHAZAM it's no longer red!

Arn't you glad you asked now?
Chemical Enzyme ="tracer"??
Besides, I don't want to just get out of the taxes, I want to stop contributing to the 24KT bathroom fixtures in the royal Saudi bathrooms.\

Natstayl, isn't shooting from a moving truck a High School Sport in NC anyway?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by P.J
Chemical Enzyme ="tracer"??
Natstayl, isn't shooting from a moving truck a High School Sport in NC anyway?
Funny the more things change the more they remain the same.
Nat
Old 07-12-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by mhuppertz
When I was growing up, diesel was 1/5th the cost of gasoline. Diesel comes off the refraction tower much lower than gas, and is far cheaper to produce. I have never gotten a good answer to this. To me it feels like usery and racketeering. Nothing has changed to account for this massive price difference, in fact gasoline has gotten more expensive to produce because of EPA regulations.
Anyone have any insite into this issue?
EPA mandated low sulfur diesel isn't that much cheaper to refine than gasoline. There are several other processes beside simple distillation for making diesel and gasoline, so the processes aren't as far apart as they used to be.

Two other reasons....distallate inventories (diesel, jet fuels and home heating oil) are low, and when that happens, the price goes up. The US doesn't have the refining capacity to keep up with the demand. And diesel is taxed higher than gasoline....
Old 07-12-2005, 01:00 PM

I keep hearing that #2 diesel in Europe is about $5 to $6 a gallon and I have no idea how much of that is tax. My guess it is probably about 50% of the pump (i.e, back pocket) price. (please correct me if I am wrong)
Anyway, with all this steady "globalization" that is taking place, it seems that we are being steadily weaned off our cheap domestic fuel costs and brought up to the rest of the world community's cost burden for motor fuel... (classic "boil the frog" manoever)
So, how high can it go??? Whatever the pre-tax cost of fuel is in Europe or Asia... Then add our federal state and local taxes to it and that is probably not far from the upper range we can expect to be paying in the future.

Scary and depressing

Keith
Old 07-12-2005, 01:14 PM
P.J
Banned

Lets hope that the diesel fumes have gotten to Keith. But it seems that alot of folks are leaning their thoughts in this direction.
It reminds me of another thread that discussed how much less we spend for fuel compared to other liquids. The one that comes to mind was Gatorade @$5.20 a gallon (quarts mulitiplied)
Old 07-12-2005, 02:15 PM

Hmmm... If I jogged my 30mile trip to work, I wouldn't have to buy a drop of overpriced petroleum products. But I would still be just as broke from buying all the gallons of Gatorade to keep my body safely hydrated...
Running Shoes can cost say $50 to $200+ a pair compared to $175 to $220 a tire... I think tires wear longer for the $$...(But the shoes are more comfortable)

Nahh! Gimme some more of that $4+/gal overpriced fuel and I'll just drive a bit slower while I sip on a bottle of Gatorade sitting in my cupholder, with my A/C turned on high while I'm on the way to buy a pair of cheap Chinese-made walking shoes at Academy...

Keith
Old 07-12-2005, 03:05 PM

I wish I had pictures of this

There is a farmer I work with here that has figured out how to beat the system. He ran the fuel tank filler neck up through the bed and into the bottom of a red metal 5 gallon fuel can mounted in the back of the p-up bed. THen he hung a piece of exhaust pipe about 4' long bent in a s shape on the back side of the original filler tube tucked under the bed and welded the end shut with a pit **** valve. Now he runs #1 Fuel for the rig ( delivered to the ranch shop) and drives around with a couple of gallons of #2 in the faux filler neck. If the tank gets dipped all they are going to see is green fuel.
I have considered his set up several times myself but, if you do get busted it carries a very hefty fine in this state. Also I have been told that the higher sulfur "off road" #1 is hard on your VP44?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by CSAGrey1
I wish I had pictures of this

There is a farmer I work with here that has figured out how to beat the system. He ran the fuel tank filler neck up through the bed and into the bottom of a red metal 5 gallon fuel can mounted in the back of the p-up bed. THen he hung a piece of exhaust pipe about 4' long bent in a s shape on the back side of the original filler tube tucked under the bed and welded the end shut with a pit **** valve. Now he runs #1 Fuel for the rig ( delivered to the ranch shop) and drives around with a couple of gallons of #2 in the faux filler neck. If the tank gets dipped all they are going to see is green fuel.
I have considered his set up several times myself but, if you do get busted it carries a very hefty fine in this state. Also I have been told that the higher sulfur "off road" #1 is hard on your VP44?
yup, i have though about that many of nights. i had basicly the same idea, but never applied it because i dont even have a truck yet....hopefully soon though
Old 07-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That works fine, but unfortunately it is a bad idea because the feds check the fuel from the filter if they suspect anything...

Now the honking on the horn idea, that's a good idea!

(I can't help but think that a lot of people are failing to consider that... )
Old 07-12-2005, 03:38 PM

Has anyone actually had their fuel inspected in a regular ole pick-up truck?

Quick Reply: I Got An Idea!!! I Got An Idea!! I Got An Idea!