Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I better not find out!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geico is right in my little hayday a few years back I had a long night and hit a mailbox. Can't say it was my proudest night but I was later informed by the state's attorney that I was lucky that it wasn't enforced but the person was better off than I was that it wasn't enforced. Turns out the law was that if the box or support pole/brick whatever was immovable the owner was then liable. Sounds good to make it VERY SOLID but still movable. Just think of someone accidentally hitting it in a 3 cylinder Metro if it was sturdy enough to stop our trucks.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hemi Dart
JD,

Is this you leaving the Gym?

http://www.81x.com/Authors/bigwillevo/wh8.jpg
No I woulden't want to be like that it would be too hard too wipe.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:54 PM
DTR Mom

Hilarious , You two....just friggin' funny!

sorry that had to happen out there! irritating fer sure. actually, if you have a neighborhood paper or pennysaver type publication. a simple ad for information (state 'reward' but not how much) will generate some phone info.
30 calls to find out how much reward and two that actually know something.

guilty party really sweats thinking which of his buds are going to blow him in. keep a sharp ear out for the same caller. don't know what your area is like, but if this is a rural to surburban area, it works really great!

had four people knock on doors to avoid being turned in. amazing. and the best part is- you sleep pretty good.....no guilt, no thumping someone over it.

former prison guard, current judge in New york state. best 'got your attention now?' times are when I put the offender to work repairing the damage to the victim. they don't tend to repeat it. people won't tend to do something if they think their buds will snitch...giving them the opportunity is fun!

never want someone to screw around with your little girl inside, don't want to think of escalating retribution with her nearby either... one rock thrown through the window can really scare the dog snot outta someone. it doesn't have to go that far.

this mailbox thing? whoa- we are rual, snowplows, drunks, teen idiots- they can get em all. I have a cheap plastic mailbox on top of the pipe and concrete set up 4 x 6 steel post. once, I heard someone revvin the engine
(you guys on long roads know what I mean) funny, not driving normally-
got to the porch with the .22 rifle. they tend to not want to hang out long when that rifle goes off I plead the fifth...
Old 01-08-2007, 02:46 PM

I've had the mail box destroyed a couple of times. Last time the kids were caught. The sheriff got replacement estimates from the entire group and the folks had to make restitution. I made the following changes to the design of my mail box support. Local laws make homeowners liable for those who are injured/damaged by supports over a certain dimension. I got an old metal cigarette advertising sign. The kind that has the two metal springs that allow the sign to flex in the wind....well take 1" iron pipe about 20" long (to drive in the ground). Onto the 20" piece weld the spring. Then on the other end of the spring weld enough metal to get your mail box the correct height (about 3'). Then screw a flange on the pipe to attach a 2x6 the lenght of the mail box to attach the box to.

Now when those fools come by with the baseball bat to wack it, they'll get a swinging mailbox against their vehicle. Or, if they drive over it.... they'll get a spring loaded bunch of iron pressing against their undercarriage... hopefully their oil pan!! I've had no takes in the last few years though.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
We had a couple of kids whacking mailboxes with golf clubs.......until the head of a driver came off after hitting the mailbox and killed the kid in the back seat of the car. He was holding the video camera. The head shaft pierced his temple.

I think he is up for a Darwin Award (post humously).
Old 01-08-2007, 04:19 PM

Tough break about your lawn and property JD. The lawn is something that can be fixed over time. At least your child/children were in the house at the time and safe.

Had a drunk driver "lost" in my backyard tyring to get his bearings straight. Pretty interesting to wake up and find a ford taurus cruising around the yard @ three in the morning. Hit the horse barn's concrete foundation then backed up and took off his mirror on the corner on my 91 ram on his way back to the street. Best part was he left his front license plate when he hit the barn LOL.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

That funny losing his plate, And on top of that a couple weeks ago a city snow plow took off my bro's bumpers on his Acura CL type S.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
once, I heard someone revvin the engine
(you guys on long roads know what I mean) funny, not driving normally-

Couple that with an old junk house-trailer full of hermephrodite women selling pills and nose candy on the same road and I have seen it all.

Hardly a day passes that I don't have at least one idiot trying to kill hisself and take out all the fences.

Last week, I was feeding, and this lunatic in a junky disposable car was flooring it, then stomping the brakes, sliding to a stop, then floor it again, then slam the brakes again; he done this until plumb out of sight.

On certain evenings, it is hard to get on the road for the various branches of law coming for their kickbacks.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by NHdodgeman
Had a drunk driver "lost" in my backyard tyring to get his bearings straight. Pretty interesting to wake up and find a ford taurus cruising around the yard @ three in the morning. Hit the horse barn's concrete foundation then backed up and took off his mirror on the corner on my 91 ram on his way back to the street. Best part was he left his front license plate when he hit the barn LOL.
thats about normal in Lima. i spent 18 mo. there while i was at UNO.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 AM

I'm surprised you didn't change your name from bear killer to jeep killer. Were the horses in there when all that happened?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Timberman
I'm surprised you didn't change your name from bear killer to jeep killer. Were the horses in there when all that happened?

Yes they were.

It is a wonder that the idiot didn't run over one, or more, of them.

In the guy's defense, if he warrants any defense, once he came to his senses, and realized what a mess he had made, he offered to "repair" my fence--I had no fence left to "repair."

I didn't want a "dip-net" looking mess for a fence so I refused and told him if he could come with CASH enough to pay me for labor and materials, that I would build my fence back myself, as good as it was before, and not involve the crooked law around here.

I gave him five hours.

He went and mortgaged something and brought me the cash before the time was up.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller

Yes they were.

It is a wonder that the idiot didn't run over one, or more, of them.

In the guy's defense, if he warrants any defense, once he came to his senses, and realized what a mess he had made, he offered to "repair" my fence--I had no fence left to "repair."

I didn't want a "dip-net" looking mess for a fence so I refused and told him if he could come with CASH enough to pay me for labor and materials, that I would build my fence back myself, as good as it was before, and not involve the crooked law around here.

I gave him five hours.

He went and mortgaged something and brought me the cash before the time was up.
Unreal .... you can't help but hold a little respect for a guy like that.

PISTOL
Old 01-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Banned

You should see the stop sign my parents built. It's about 3' wide, 4' tall, and 3.5' deep and the outside is covered in big pieces of stacked flat rock with a solid concrete core. I dare someone to whack that thing.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Storm
thats about normal in Lima. i spent 18 mo. there while i was at UNO.
Ya im here at UNO right now and I would expect a fellow intoxicated student to do that here . This happened in NH were my family lives as did I before I left for school.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:56 AM

Just weld together a little box of 1/8 inch steel to put your mailbox in and set it on top of the 4x4 wood post with a few screws holding it to the post. The box might come off but then you don't need to buy a new one every week and all you have "reinforced" is the then sheet metal mailbox. After a couple of times they will quit hitting it. You might need to replace your post a time or two.