Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hunting Wild boar

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hunting Wild boar

anyone do this?
what kind of shot do you use? (12ga)
is it good? you get lots of bacon?
any tactics for getting them?
Old 07-02-2006, 05:57 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

once.
60 lb bow
not alot of bacon, but chops, sausage, etc.
bring a friend or two and be prepared to climb a tree.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:03 PM

If using a 12 ga I would highly reccomend a slug, shot will not get the desired penetration, and buckshot might work but penetration will still be an issue. I personally reccomend a centerfire rifle, or a large caliber pistol or my personal favorite a bow.

As far as tactics are concerned alot of guys use bait stations and set up stands near by. Others prefer the spot and stalk technique. And one of my favorites is hunting them with dogs (more for the chase than the actual fight, I like coon hunting, and bird hunting with dogs as well)

The meat is excellent, but do not expect it to taste like grain fed hog meat from your local grocer, it is different to be sure. Wild hogs forage on mast, and roots, grubs, vegetable gardens, field crops etc... Hope this helps!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:26 PM

they don't allow hunting with rifles here, im not sure about a pistol though. why do I need to climb a tree?
Old 07-02-2006, 06:27 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Don't shoot a boar (male) and expect to eat it; it won't be fit for starving dogs.

Barrows and gilts are for eating, if you feel you must eat something as raunchy as an old hog.

We shoot them just to get rid of them.

We tie one of the kids to a bush and back off to wait.

When a hog comes out to eat the kid, we shoot the hog.

Try to not shoot the kid.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by LanceD
they don't allow hunting with rifles here, im not sure about a pistol though. why do I need to climb a tree?
Wild hogs (atleast in this area) are known to be very aggressive. You shoot one and it doesn't drop in its tracks, it is as likely to come after you as run from you.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:34 PM

I don't think the hogs here in guam are THAT kind of wild hog, they are more like hog/pig, I guess they get up to about 160 pounds and have tusks? heres a pic:
Old 07-02-2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by OHFarmboy
one of my favorites is hunting them with dogs (more for the chase than the actual fight, I like coon hunting, and bird hunting with dogs as well)

hog hunting has been on my list of to do's. i would suggest using 2 slugs and back them with buck shot.

i really want to try hunting hogs with dogs. i have german shorthair pointers and bird hunt alot. i cant wait to tree a bear or run up on a group of dogs and a hog.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:15 PM

Male feral hogs in this area are 4 to 5 feet long and weigh in at 150 to 300 pounds.
http://www.noble.org/ag/wildlife/fer...escription.htm
Old 07-03-2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by LanceD
I don't think the hogs here in guam are THAT kind of wild hog, they are more like hog/pig, I guess they get up to about 160 pounds and have tusks? heres a pic:
The little ones in the front are the ones you want to eat, 20 to 30 pounders are the best. Roasted on the smoker at 220 deg for about 6-7 hrs, ummm ummm good!!!
If you must use a shotgun go w/ the slug, hit 'em right behind the ear, they don't run off that way.

By the way, a 160lb boar with 2"-3" tusks would have no trouble killing you.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Male feral hogs in this area are 4 to 5 feet long and weigh in at 150 to 300 pounds.
http://www.noble.org/ag/wildlife/fer...escription.htm

They are fun to hunt,

the little ones are good to eat as it has been said, but mostly they are parasites down here in LDO, So we shoot em clean em, and i just give away the carcasses to whoever wants them...

U want a real challenge? Hunt them with a bowie knife and dogs... Ive done it, and good lord, ull know how quick ur reflexes really are...

Rick
Old 07-03-2006, 04:08 PM

next you will be telling me its fun to jump out of a tree in a loincloth with a rock to deer hunt...
Old 07-03-2006, 05:10 PM

I read a story in a magazine one time where a guy was making his own spears and killing bears and hogs with them. The spears had like 18" blades with foot pegs, and he'd lure them under the tree with donuts and jump on the bear with the spear, standing on the foot pegs like you would a shovel. These were black bears obviously, not grizzlies. Sounds a little crazy. I'd rather just overwhelm the bear with superior firepower from a distance.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
next you will be telling me its fun to jump out of a tree in a loincloth with a rock to deer hunt...

Nah,

u would be surprised how many people in south texas hunt pigs like that. I have a friend who is literally obsessed with it, and i dont blame him, if you are an adrenaline junkie this is the sport for you, I had to try it, and mind u its scary, but its fun, spotlights, good dogs, and good knives as well as quick reflexes and ur hooked! Well almost, lol, i wasnt quite hooked on it, but still it be somethin that id do again... for sure!

Rick

PS also famous down here, the trap them method, you trap them, load them into a gooseneck and put a guy in there with a knife... ive seen that too, but people trap and sell them down here, there are buyers for these things..
Old 07-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I make it a point to always have a buddy when I hog hunt. One of us will have a good rifle and the other a 12ga with buck. We have so much high grass and glades it is difficult to see them, but they hear you and come charging. The one with the rifle guesses where the sucker is by watching the grass move and tries to drop him. If he doesn't, the guy with the shotgun waits til he can see his eyes and nails him in the face. If he misses, up the tree. Fun and good eating if they aren't too big.

Quick Reply: Hunting Wild boar