Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hummer vs. Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hummer vs. F150

Yesterday I was standing by my truck on a farm lane, about to go deer hunting. On the main road, about 150 yards from me, a hummer and a f150 rounded a blind curve and then took off racing, the ford trying to pass the hummer. They really wound them out, and disappeared up the road. My truck has towing mods, not for speed, but I will say with much confidence that I could smoke them both. The hummer was not impressive, for all the noise it was making. Just thought I'd share that, I got a kick out of it.

Edit-Stupid thread title, it was a ford, not a chevy. Typing/thinking too fast
Old 12-01-2006, 02:44 PM

since they discontinued the H1 hummer no longer exists...H2 and H3 are not hummers. They are a tahoe and a trailblazer with a new body...Oh and you get to say you own a hummer...not that you couldn't say that even if you diddn't.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I took a 2006 H3 in on trade for a house and sold it in a month. Pretty gutless, but I'm sure it could go anywhere. They are built for off road, not racing. I would not buy one.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Geico266
I took a 2006 H3 They are built for off road, not racing. I would not buy one.
What??? Built for off road??? You have got to be kidding!!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
What??? Built for off road??? You have got to be kidding!!
Actually the H2 and H3 are both very capable offroad vehicles. Granted, most people who own them will never have them off road. But they can get the job done.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:32 PM

The one I saw was canary yellow, and full bling. And slow. Not an offroad machine by any stretch. I know a farmer who has a military surplus hummer, that thing is the real deal. They get drunk and drive it around in his duck impoundment trying to get it stuck. It's pretty bad, but takes a big tractor to get it out when it does get stuck.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Iron Mike
Actually the H2 and H3 are both very capable offroad vehicles. Granted, most people who own them will never have them off road. But they can get the job done.
EXACTLY, I saw a test when the H2 came out that said the H2 is about 80% as capable off-road as the H1.... which makes it the 2nd most capable offroader from the factory (could be argued with the new Power Wagon out now).

Can't say anything about the H3, but the H2 is a BEAST offroad (for a factory vehicle). I have no reason to beleive the H3 isn't pretty dang close to its slightly bigger simbling as well.

It irritates me to no end to see what type of people buy these vehicles, they never ever get used, just like the suburbanites that buy 4x4, FX4, PSDs or CTDs to drive the kids to soccer practice and the mall.

....calming down.....

back on topic, I would never race a Hummer, built for off-road, not for speed, even though there are a few HIGHLY customized ones out there that could smoke most anything.

How bout I just stop talking now?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:51 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

The only thing that makes the H2 so capable is the lockers.
Its not overly powerful, but you get front and rear lockers along with a transfer case capable of either fully locking or partially locking to prevent binding.
For a factory vehicle, I would like to see it go against a land rover.
For the price, I would buy an import and ARB air lockers.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They can get a lot deeper before getting stuck than many SUVs. This video is a good (biased) example although making the competition run stock street rubber isn't exactly fair in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVJv8vbawgA

Good crawling ability too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBC_w...elated&search=

But then again, you sometimes have to wonder whether they really were meant to leave the suburbs.

http://www.h1forum.com/rmctremor/h2video/hummerbad.wmv
Old 12-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Chapter President

Funny...I've seen stock Grand Cherokees and Land Rovers go through terrain like that last one. Oh well, they are all pretty decent machines, I just think they show you what will help them sell their vehicle. Personal opinion (for what its worth) Current Jeep Rubicon (1st) and Dodge Power wagon (2nd) best factory off-road vehicles ever...
Old 12-02-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
since they discontinued the H1 hummer no longer exists...H2 and H3 are not hummers. They are a tahoe and a trailblazer with a new body...Oh and you get to say you own a hummer...not that you couldn't say that even if you diddn't.
Wasn't the H1 pretty much a 3/4 ton silverado chassis with lockers? Either way, dedicated offroad vehicles have solid axles (not baja-style racing though...) Seems I remember Ivan Stewart building an independent suspension rock crawler...only to go back to solid axles shortly thereafter.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:02 AM

So, If I buy the hummer does it come w/ the guy to show me where to drive!