Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

humm... FLAMETHROWERS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
This is for information only...
Don't come whining to me when you try this parked in your garage or under a tree.

im sending you the bill for the first parking garage that i try it out in!
Old 07-16-2006, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ds1rider
You may have a problem with soot clogging up the plug and won't get any spark. Will you rin gas lines to the inside of the cab?
How would you turn the gas on and off?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ds1rider
How would you turn the gas on and off?
some kind of electric switch on a valve is what im thinking
Old 07-16-2006, 12:29 PM

You might want to invest in a section of standard steel pipe to experiment on since I think 2" will be way too close to the end to get a good fuel spread and ignition.Just get one section and replace a single stack.Try it at different distances.This way you won't ruin your good chrome stacks with a bunch of holes.As for the setup you will have to build a circuit to turn the power on and off to the coil since a coil doesn't constantly discharge a spark when the power is on.When the switch is closed,it sucks up as much power as it can and when you turn the power off it discharges causing a spark.AKA Breaker Points system.You could use a cam on a small 12V motor to activate on of those switches with a spring metal lever(or a 555 Circuit for no moving parts!).As for the gas control,use a NOS solidniod valve.Nozzle?maybe a NOS nozzle or you could get a nozzle from Mcmaster over in Hotlanta GA.They are pretty cheap.I used a nozzle to build a home build Water Methanol kit for under a $100.The nozzles can be bought in brass(around 2 or 3 bucks) or stainless(A bit more but not bad).I would run a Braided line from the tank to the Valve to the nozzles and keep the tank in the bed as close to the stacks as safely possible(Don't let them touch!Heat,pressureized container of Explosive gasses......be a hell of a Flame Thrower exhaust setup!!!!!!).
Old 07-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Freight_Train
You might want to invest in a section of standard steel pipe to experiment on since I think 2" will be way too close to the end to get a good fuel spread and ignition.Just get one section and replace a single stack.Try it at different distances.This way you won't ruin your good chrome stacks with a bunch of holes.As for the setup you will have to build a circuit to turn the power on and off to the coil since a coil doesn't constantly discharge a spark when the power is on.When the switch is closed,it sucks up as much power as it can and when you turn the power off it discharges causing a spark.AKA Breaker Points system.You could use a cam on a small 12V motor to activate on of those switches with a spring metal lever(or a 555 Circuit for no moving parts!).As for the gas control,use a NOS solidniod valve.Nozzle?maybe a NOS nozzle or you could get a nozzle from Mcmaster over in Hotlanta GA.They are pretty cheap.I used a nozzle to build a home build Water Methanol kit for under a $100.The nozzles can be bought in brass(around 2 or 3 bucks) or stainless(A bit more but not bad).I would run a Braided line from the tank to the Valve to the nozzles and keep the tank in the bed as close to the stacks as safely possible(Don't let them touch!Heat,pressureized container of Explosive gasses......be a hell of a Flame Thrower exhaust setup!!!!!!).

There aint no replacing the stacks. lol they are welded into the 4x6x1/4 inch steel box at the bottom.

so if i just flip the switch to the coil, it will light once, and only once, till i turn it off/on again?

ill have to mount the tank under the bed. Ive got a flatbed and i cant have it on top.

and ill look up the nos valves and nozzles. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

The system that you need can be found on any mid-70's-80's small-block Chevy.

Just take the entire distributor from an engine and rig the shaft to an electric motor, or your PTO.

A big toggle switch to provide the power and you are set.

The distributor already includes the coil and breakerless ignition.

Proper tuning and too much fuel will also make flames.

My old 6.9 would flame, pulling a steep grade.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:40 PM

so you have your propane tank with copper pipe going to each stack. It comes out of your tank into a electronic solenoid valve. All you need is a on/off valve no need to controle the flow thats what the nozzles do. after the valve it T's off and goes to each stack.

for spark you dont need a constant spark, just one spark in the begining to light it. The propane will burn on its own as long as it's getting enough O2. A grill lighter would be perfict, easy to put in and very little to go worng. all you would do is turn your gas on and push the lighter. I think it would be easier than having a spark plug and coil for each stack.

coop
Old 07-16-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

The reason for the intermittent sparking is to get the engine-pulsating effect of the flames actually coming from the cylinders, so it will look like a fire-breathing dragon, instead of a blow-torch.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Registered

if i can find a propane tank that is less then 11" high (including valve) and 24" wide and 10" deep. and no i dont have the hight and width mixed up. im trying to stick it in my tool box, and it has to stand up.

OR if i can find a horzontal tank, they make them, but it cant have a diameter over 11". They have to be filled a special way, but ill do what i gotta do

So all i need is the tank, i got the rest figured out

anybody know if they make these? and where i can get one?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can always make a tank out of a piece of cast iron pipe.

I don't think that you can get threaded 11 inch pipe though, so you'd probably have to weld ends onto it rather than thread on caps.

Ah, too much effort... Ask Wannadiesel, but I think that they make stubby sample-gas bottles about the size your looking for. Might be able to horse trade for one from a Praxair or Air-Liquide supplier close by. Altough, considering that you're not old enough to buy any Newcastle or Budweiser, horse trading becomes considerably more difficult.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Begle1
Altough, considering that you're not old enough to buy any Newcastle or Budweiser, horse trading becomes considerably more difficult.

ill find away. ill have someone else buy it for me and ill give it to them
Old 07-17-2006, 03:50 PM

And the award for the most redneck project of the month goes to... . When you get this to work you need some dixie air horns.(if you don't already) and a huge longhorn skull for your grill. I can say that because I have seen worse...well, maybe...

I thought people from Texas were supposed to be crazy?? Not that we aren't but this is taking it to another level.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
And the award for the most redneck project of the month goes to... . When you get this to work you need some dixie air horns.(if you don't already) and a huge longhorn skull for your grill. I can say that because I have seen worse...well, maybe...

I thought people from Texas were supposed to be crazy?? Not that we aren't but this is taking it to another level.

air horns not enough

Old 07-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
When you get this to work you need some dixie air horns.(if you don't already)
Dixie Airhorns are no match for Turkey Gobble air horns!

You could get a set of those and be an official disciple of Begle1...

Edit: THE CALL OF 160 RAW HORSEPOWER!!! (CTRL + F : 410 )
They're 100% duty cycle too.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 AM

Couldn't you build a box on the bed and mount the tank above the stacks. I just don't like the idea of mounting a propane tank under the truck.

I hate being so negative, but..... Propane will cause your truck to blow up. Its just a hunch

I'm leaving this thread now

Quick Reply: humm... FLAMETHROWERS!