Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hughes Net whos got it ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hughes Net whos got it ???

Who has Hughes net and how do you like it???

I have trouble with cell reception here at Home so my air card sucks plus its not really that much faster than dialup.

How fast is hughes net? I'm not asking what they advertize but what your personal experiences are.

I appreciate any insight you guys have thanks.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't have HN, but I do have Wild Blue. I will not be having Wild Blue once my year is up.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had hughes net before switching to dsl after it was available. the hughes worked well and was alot faster then dialup but not quite as fast as dsl but almost. only complaint is that sometimes it cut out during a storm
Old 05-27-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by dodgemaniac
i had hughes net before switching to dsl after it was available. the hughes worked well and was alot faster then dialup but not quite as fast as dsl but almost. only complaint is that sometimes it cut out during a storm
Have you been around a cellular air card to be able to compare the speed?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:55 PM

I had hughes net and was not impressed
Old 05-27-2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by smkn97s
I had hughes net and was not impressed
Was it faster than dialup? slower than an air card????

What didnt you like reliability speed what was un impressive and what do you have now?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:26 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have hughes net and I hate it. Living as far out as I do I have no choice stormy cloudy weather disrupts service and if you watch movies or streaming tv on the net or any other type of downloading it will enact whats called the fair access policy and will cut you off of your ability to surf the net and if you can get on during the fair access its slower than dial up and wont load photos.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
I have hughes net and I hate it. Living as far out as I do I have no choice stormy cloudy weather disrupts service and if you watch movies or streaming tv on the net or any other type of downloading it will enact whats called the fair access policy and will cut you off of your ability to surf the net and if you can get on during the fair access its slower than dial up and wont load photos.

Hey Flat Hat whats happening in Vaquero country thanks for the help on the Hughes net deal maybe I will hold off and see if the Air card speeds up like it is supposed to at the end of the summer.

Did you ever end up getting a McNabb? Or are you still holding off I found some amazing bordercollies if you are interested. I ended up buying one his dad was imorted from Scotland and his mom goes back to some of the foundation dogs in the ABC and the ISDS. He has 11 generations of proven working dogs in his background. Sorry I didnt mean to sound like a braggart I'm just excited to have found such a good pup and he's red to boot. I think there may be a couple of pups left if youre interested.

Back to the Satelite internet if Hughes net is not the way to go is there a decent way to get highspeed in the Boonies??
Old 05-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Chapter President

I have Hughes its the only broadband I'll ever get unless broadband over power lines comes to my area....its far better then dialup but slower then DSL since I'm a certified installer of satellite broadband too my setup was peaked and tuned to the bird I'm on only time I have a outage is a major storm the price is fair because of the technology involved but I would still prefer DSL
Old 05-27-2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by pappyman
I have Hughes its the only broadband I'll ever get unless broadband over power lines comes to my area....its far better then dialup but slower then DSL since I'm a certified installer of satellite broadband too my setup was peaked and tuned to the bird I'm on only time I have a outage is a major storm the price is fair because of the technology involved but I would still prefer DSL

Do you have trouble with pictures etc? Like DC mentioned? I will use it for work I am trying to office out of the house lots of emails downloading spread sheetsthings off of the work server etc.... I will not be streaming movies etc? I just need something faster and more reliable than my air card.

Last edited by tbarbee1; 05-27-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Good post! I was gonna ask the same question about the service.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Redleg
Good post! I was gonna ask the same question about the service.

Thanks Redleg I still dont know what to do.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:06 PM

I don't have Hughes Net, but I used to have Wild Blue. It was way better than my dial up. I did not lose signal very often. It is fine for most e-mail. If you aren't downloading a lot, or streaming, you won't have to worry about FAP. Wild Blue seemed to be cheaper and have better reviews than Hughes. Not sure if it is an option for you. It should be. The reason I changed is that we now have a wireless provider in our area. Not phones, but like a 2.4ghz ?? signal. It is cheaper and faster than WB. That's why I switched.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:57 PM

Thanks Mike I'll check into them