Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hows your air horn setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hows your air horn setup?

Hows your air horn setup? is it wired into the horn or does it have its own button?

the reason im asking i ordered a kit off ebay and it didnt come with any instructions. so i called and they told me how to wire it into the horn.
which i dont really want.
so if i do a push type button, what do i have to do as far as wiring it?
the horn has two wires on it, do i just run those wires to the button?
or do i need a seloniod?

thanks brian
Old 02-17-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested in this, too!

I just ordered all the parts...due in late next week.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Banned

personally I like the controllability of a hand operated ball valve for the horn, helps ya "talk" with it a bit more than just all out blast or not........
Old 02-17-2007, 08:13 PM

I have a 5 gallon air tank in the bed, air line up to a lanyard valve mounted on the A-pillar, air line down to the horns mounted on the front bumper brace on the passenger side. No electrics. No compressor. Simple. I air the tank up to @110 PSI about every 2-4 weeks.

Scott
Old 02-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

Mine is still sitting on the work bench. You should to get an electrical solenoid to run your air horns. Then you will have a separate switch for each set of horns. The stock 12v ones and the air horns.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by phloop
Mine is still sitting on the work bench. You should to get an electrical solenoid to run your air horns. Then you will have a separate switch for each set of horns. The stock 12v ones and the air horns.

Can you explain a little more. the two wires off the horn to??
what type of selonid and from where?
i thought if the two wires made circuit, the horn would blow? is this right, do i have to have a selonid? Im lost! Please help i would like to install it tommorrow.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:03 AM

I wired mine into the regular horn. According to the Dodge manual the horns are on a relay so it should not burn out the switch in the steering wheel..

I used an electric solenoid.. They wire real easy.. positive wire (red or hot) goes to the power source. this can be done by tapping the horn wire or run a wire from power to the horn button and than to the solenoid. Then the ground (black) you can attach anywhere there is a good ground.

For my air compressor I put a fused line straight from the battery.. and grounded with the solenoid wire.

I figured if the compressor starts running solid then I'll just pull the fuse..

I was also thinking about running a cut out switch for the air horns.. so it would wire from solenoid to a switch then to the horn wire,

All my connections were soldered and heat shrunk.. in my years of trying stuff I have found this is the best way. they never loosen up or short out over time.. I just stripped the insulation.. and soldered the new wire without cutting the original wire..

Old 02-18-2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by gerry
I wired mine into the regular horn. According to the Dodge manual the horns are on a relay so it should not burn out the switch in the steering wheel..

I used an electric solenoid.. They wire real easy.. positive wire (red or hot) goes to the power source. this can be done by tapping the horn wire or run a wire from power to the horn button and than to the solenoid. Then the ground (black) you can attach anywhere there is a good ground.

For my air compressor I put a fused line straight from the battery.. and grounded with the solenoid wire.

I figured if the compressor starts running solid then I'll just pull the fuse..

I was also thinking about running a cut out switch for the air horns.. so it would wire from solenoid to a switch then to the horn wire,

All my connections were soldered and heat shrunk.. in my years of trying stuff I have found this is the best way. they never loosen up or short out over time.. I just stripped the insulation.. and soldered the new wire without cutting the original wire..
Gerry, where can i get a solenoid?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:35 AM

Do a google search for grover air horns.. There is a company in texas (texas Air horns I think) that has all the stuff.. I bought a complete kit from them.. Talked to the guy on the phone and he was really helpful

here is where I got mine..

http://www.airhornsoftexas.com/
Old 02-18-2007, 11:25 AM

With those two wires, one should be the ground and the other the hot lead. Dieselfan, I sent you a PM