Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hows the New Home Construction Industry In Your Area ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PowerDiesel44
If you were closer to my neck of the woods you would't have time to take a dump in the morning. We can't build them fast enough here. Plus the prices are just plain stuuuuuuupid. Imagine a simple little 1200 sq ft house no garage, small lot take a guess?????

Starting at $560,000. Yup no typo. We just can't get them built fast enough. Have a look. Go to MLS.ca then alberta and to wood buffalo/ fort mcmurray. You will be absolutley shocked when you see the prices. Imagine a trailer/mobile home going for 480,000 and then you still have to pay lot rent.

So if you want i am building a garage this summer, i have never done this and could use the expertise come on up i'll show ya around. You can see how we make oil up here. That would be something that you would enjoy.

Sorry for the quick Threadjack......but im curious....what is making the economy "boom" so much in Alberta??

I know things have slowed down considerably here in DFW, TX. But I still see construction cranes all around Downtown/Uptown Dallas. I think single family home construction is way down..
Old 03-07-2008, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Sorry for the quick Threadjack......but im curious....what is making the economy "boom" so much in Alberta??

I know things have slowed down considerably here in DFW, TX. But I still see construction cranes all around Downtown/Uptown Dallas. I think single family home construction is way down..
Oil or as we call it up hear Tarsand or Oilsands. And yes not to jack this thread but one company just announced it's next expansion in the neighborhood of $20 Billion in the next 3-4 years. The two major players Suncor and Syncrude check out there sites - google. We can't get enough qualified workers to even run the plants. Burger King is offering $16/hr just so they can have people to sell you fries. Restaraunts are sometimes closed due to lack of staff. I could go on. If ya want to know more pm me as i probably said to much allready.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:58 AM

Still booming here

A record amount of new construction and the sixth year of a hot real estate market pushed the value of British Columbia real estate to $808 billion, according to BC Assessment's 2007 property roll.

That is a 23-per-cent increase from 2006.

New construction added 106,734 new properties to the roll and pumped $19 billion into assessments, the authority reported Tuesday.

However, $131 billion of the $150-billion gain was driven by hot property markets in communities around the province.

"It's crazy in B.C. all over the place," said Bill Levis, BC Assessment's manager of audit and research.

"[Assessment increases] are not just isolated to the Lower Mainland or Victoria. We've had increases in Dawson Creek, Prince George, Terrace: Places that historically are more level.

"B.C. seems to be the place people want to live"

The 2010 Olympics are coming so there is tons of new construction also going on!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 AM

If you can build a nice custom house, and I mean upscale, Western New York is growing big time.

I used to work for a custom home builder, and all we built were custom homes, around the million dollar mark, we had plans for houses to be built a year down the road. If you have houses you can show that are top notch, the luxury house market is what you need to get into.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:23 PM

I work for a local builder here in MN. Everyone is really slow. Too many homes vs buyers. We are doing really well. We have already sold around 25 homes since the 1st of the year. I do all the production work and estimating. You have to find the right company to get the work. Everyone is willing to work for almost nothing around here, but that is what you have to do if you want to stay busy.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Things are going crazy here too. Can't get enough workers, housing prices going up 40% per year, its insane. I work full time at the university and I have 2 part time jobs in the construction/landscaping industry and I'm run off my feet. Our time will come, what happens in the US happens up here, usually about 3-4 years behind though. Gotta make the cash now while you can... especially with fuel at 4.49 a gallon...
Old 03-07-2008, 03:01 PM

In NW Houston Texas, a lot of construction going on, home, apartments and strip mall/office projects. The home price have dropped way down, but still selling.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Bullet
Where at in NEO?

We are SLOOOOOOWWWWWW

I'm driving to Richfield everyday to finish a basement - imagine spending $40 to make $50.
Basically on south border of lorain county.

From june of last year to Feb of this year I drove 108 miles round trip everyday. Yes it sucks.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:06 PM

And to make things even worse around here the Ford Engine Plant is cutting down to one shift only.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Need95-00CTD
If you can build a nice custom house, and I mean upscale, Western New York is growing big time.

I used to work for a custom home builder, and all we built were custom homes, around the million dollar mark, we had plans for houses to be built a year down the road. If you have houses you can show that are top notch, the luxury house market is what you need to get into.
We used to do some big houses on the Lake, but they seem to be hit even harder. Seems the ONLY thing not greatly affected is the condo's.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:02 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Here in the NW corner it has really slowed down. Lots of houses sitting vacant. I've had a pretty slow winter but have a few contracts signed and 2 pending for this year. Guys are really cutting costs to get work in the residential arena, which doesn't make a whole lotta sense since the prices are really going up for everything. I mainly build upscale custom homes and do remodel/additions.

Kurt
Old 03-08-2008, 03:26 PM

The square footage prices here are about the same as they were back in 1998. Alot of that is due to the national companies like Ryan and Pulte coming in and setting the prices.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:23 PM

come on down to san antonio its still booming and probably will be for a looooong time
Old 03-08-2008, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, I didn't here from anybody In Michigan yet, is terrible up here. People loseing jobs left and right. I am a concrete guy and it is pretty bad for us too. Lots of big companies that have been I buisness for 30 plus years are folding up. There are so many houses for sale, new used foreclosed. Now is the time to buy if you can afford it. But I am afraid it is gonna get worse before it gets better. Alberta is looking pretty good right now. 16 bucks per hr at burger king, heck I could be running the joint in 6 months. 20 plus maybe... LOL
Old 03-09-2008, 01:44 PM

The housing market in Lubbock seems to be booming. I'm going to meet with a home builder next week to start on plans to build a little house. I can build a pretty nice 1300 sq. ft. brick home for about $75,000 plus the lot. It just doesn't make sense to pay rent on a one bedroom apartment, when I can own a house for about a $100 more a month.

Quick Reply: Hows the New Home Construction Industry In Your Area ?