Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hows the New Home Construction Industry In Your Area ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hows the New Home Construction Industry In Your Area ?

Here in northern Ohio we are in a huge slump. We have new houses just sitting here with for sale signs for the past year.
I have a Framing Company and have felt this terribly. 3 years ago I was running 2 crews and had 18 employees. Now I am down to one crew with 4 guys and as of last week they are sittin on unemployment. I am going nuts not goin to work. I try several builders a day and come up hearing the same thing. "Nothin for at Least a month" And even when somethin does come up, you have guys cuttin throats to get the work. I personally know of 3 Framing contractors who have gone completely out of business since summer. Luckily my wife is an RN and we are makin it, BUT it's getting impossible. She is actually talking about moving out west becasue some of the docs she works with said construction is booming. I said I highly doubt that. I did hear that Navada and Texas were booming last summer, but I also heard they were slowin down big time.
So...How is it in your area ? Thanks, Dan

P.S. any of you guys need anything built relatively cheap ?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Still building in my area.

MikeyB
Old 03-06-2008, 05:45 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Slowwwww out here in Southern Orygun lot of places sitting for sale.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:49 PM

Still going strong her in Salt lake City. My father is actually a land developer and he cant get out fast enough, also a lot of projects in Nevada where he also works out of...Keep in mind these are single family starter homes and town homes... Custom homes there has been a slight decrease in activity...
Old 03-06-2008, 05:54 PM

I'm a plumber in the D/FW Texas area and it has slowed tremendously here in the last year. I work for a company here who does mostly new residential all over the metroplex. We were 1oo+ employee and 1000 - 1500 houses under construction at one time company that has gone to a 15 employee company with about 300 houses under construction. And to make matters worse about 200 of these are in the trim stage or final stage for plumbing which means that we are about to get our last draw off of the house. All in 1 year and its not like we lost any of our builders or sub-divisions its just that there slowed down that much. A lot of builders or companies down here like K-Hovnanian, Pulte Sotherby, Standard Pacific Homes Etc... have so many spec houses just siting that won't sell that to say they have slowed down is an understatement.
they are laying of construction managers as fast as my company is and some of the major companies have halted all new construction in some of the slower selling sub-divisions all together until things pick up and they sell some of the spec homes they have sitting. On the bright side here at least commercial building is still strong and it seems that the market for the really big expensive custom homes hasn't been effected quiet as much so i guess we're still better off than some
Old 03-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Chapter President

Lot of inventory and open house pads, BRAC hasnt been finalized, and the anticitpation + high prices of the last few years caused a glut of construction. But it kept me employed in the Cabinet trade , until I got hurt, but right after I got out of the shop they let go most of the staff anyway. If the Navy brings the jobs they say are coming within the next 4-6 years I expect a localized boom once again. But who knows. Way slow for now.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 PM

Here in Floriduh there is almost no building going on. I have a lot of friends in the trades who are dieing to work but the building boom has busted.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 PM

I also work part time as a contractor for my mothers real estate investment company. We were just discussing the amount of houses sitting for sale in the Cleveland area.

I think with all the foreclosures and banks cracking down on who they loan to has really given a hit to those trying to finance a new home. The building around where I live has always been slow. I know in Peoria where my cousin is a concrete contractor they are building them like crazy.

Sorry to hear about your lack of work. I'm down to three days a week with my full time job as a painter/drywall. I'm having to pick up some side work just to make ends meet. At least I am finally having time to so some work in my automotive shop though
Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In North Dakota all the good and ok Contractors are doing good. I am planning on building a new house this summer and it has been hard to find anyone. I havent signed any contracts yet but have the cement,plumbing, and house materials figured out. I am planning to do the framing, electriacal myself.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Your in the wrong business. I'm doing a side business of smaller home repairs. I have 5 people a day beg me to do simple little things. There isn't a contractor in our area that will do a job for less the $5000. Most of what I do, I can do myself in an evening or a weekend. I'm going full time in 6 years when the boys go off to college.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 PM

Here in Killeen,Tx they are building like crazy. from sub-divisions to hotels! I think its all cause of Fort Hood, but i dont think the army base will be moving so i see no worries there..hahaha
Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 PM

Well i could use you.,

If you were closer to my neck of the woods you would't have time to take a dump in the morning. We can't build them fast enough here. Plus the prices are just plain stuuuuuuupid. Imagine a simple little 1200 sq ft house no garage, small lot take a guess?????

Starting at $560,000. Yup no typo. We just can't get them built fast enough. Have a look. Go to MLS.ca then alberta and to wood buffalo/ fort mcmurray. You will be absolutley shocked when you see the prices. Imagine a trailer/mobile home going for 480,000 and then you still have to pay lot rent.

So if you want i am building a garage this summer, i have never done this and could use the expertise come on up i'll show ya around. You can see how we make oil up here. That would be something that you would enjoy.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 PM

here in maryland the residential side is slow houses and cleared land just sitting nothing being done. the commercial side is going strong the bases here in maryland are doing alot of upgrading along with the VA hospitals
Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Here in northern Ohio we are in a huge slump. We have new houses just sitting here with for sale signs for the past year.
I have a Framing Company and have felt this terribly. 3 years ago I was running 2 crews and had 18 employees. Now I am down to one crew with 4 guys and as of last week they are sittin on unemployment. I am going nuts not goin to work. I try several builders a day and come up hearing the same thing. "Nothin for at Least a month" And even when somethin does come up, you have guys cuttin throats to get the work. I personally know of 3 Framing contractors who have gone completely out of business since summer. Luckily my wife is an RN and we are makin it, BUT it's getting impossible. She is actually talking about moving out west becasue some of the docs she works with said construction is booming. I said I highly doubt that. I did hear that Navada and Texas were booming last summer, but I also heard they were slowin down big time.
So...How is it in your area ? Thanks, Dan

P.S. any of you guys need anything built relatively cheap ?
Where at in NEO?

We are SLOOOOOOWWWWWW

I'm driving to Richfield everyday to finish a basement - imagine spending $40 to make $50.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Banned

SLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGG down here too!!!

Quick Reply: Hows the New Home Construction Industry In Your Area ?