Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

how things change with age?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I turned 30 last month as well. The way I do stuff has changed but not what I like to do.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:20 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This article was dated from 2004, so this class would be seniors(?) now:

Each year the staff at Beloit State Wisconsin puts together a list to try to
give the faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming freshmen.
Here's this year's list:

The people who started college this fall across the nation were born in 1986.

They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up on takeoff.

Their lifetime has always included AIDS.

Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.

The CD was introduced the year they were born.

They have always had an answering machine.

They have always had cable.

They cannot fathom not having a remote control.

Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.

Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.

They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.

They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.

They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.

They never heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel",

or "de plane, Boss, de plane".

They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. even is.

McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.

They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

Do you feel old yet? Pass this on to the other old fogies on your list.

Notice the larger type, that's for those of you who have trouble reading.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:22 AM

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930’s 40's, 50's, 60's and 70’s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat
rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and ate worms (only with some tomato sauce for me) and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:19 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
In this thread there is a lot of talk about being "grown up". What is the definition of "grown up"?

Recently I was talked into coming out of retirement and going back to work full time. After I had started work I asked the young girl in HR if I was the oldest person working in the company. She hesitated for a couple of seconds, (obviously trying to be polite) and then told me that I was the most mature in the company. Go figure what that means.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
In this thread there is a lot of talk about being "grown up". What is the definition of "grown up"?

Recently I was talked into coming out of retirement and going back to work full time. After I had started work I asked the young girl in HR if I was the oldest person working in the company. She hesitated for a couple of seconds, (obviously trying to be polite) and then told me that I was the most mature in the company. Go figure what that means.
That means you remind her of her dad.........
Old 09-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What a depressing thread~!

All you elderly guys complainin' about all yer aches an' pains... jeez!

Someone oughta do a follow-up thread titled, 'What do you expect death to hold in store for you?'

Chris, your 'TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED' post was pretty accurate tho!

chaikwa.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:53 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Sheesh! Lot of help you are!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:58 AM

I guess I have matured more than grow older. I still do things that might be a little edgy and dangerous but I don't do the "stupid" things that I used to.

The key to getting older and not sweating it is to stay active ... really active. I can't tell you how many old guys that I know who you couldn't tell were in their late 50's early 60's because they are still steaming like a 30 year old.

My brother is 53 and still stomps around the mountains of Montana chasing elk and mountain lions ...

One of my last commanding officers had to be close to 60 but was still pulling full SEAL workout, running and riding (and wrecking) his mountain bike.

My question is .... how do we keep our minds young ??? How do we keep from sounding like an old fart ?
When I was young, it used to be "Hey man, it was a blast to do donuts in the intersection downtown" .... but now it's "I don't want to waste my tires and have the cops show up and be a bad influence on my kid ..... blah, blah, blah ...."
Gotta work on that part ...

PISTOL
Old 09-09-2007, 08:14 AM

Lets put this in perspective, I grew up with Bugs Bunny and the Road Runner Hour( now to graphic, violent), then we had (real!) ground beef patties on our burgers that came in a wax paper wrapper (now to expensive to produce, meat fillers,etc.), gasoline at .30/gallon ( now, well you can guess), it used to be you had to speak English before you where a legal citizen (now you don't have to), there wasn't any AIDS or Crack cocaine and if you where caught with a little weed you went to jail! Now you get just a slap on the wrist. And the most important one is THERE WAS GOD ALMIGHTY IN THE SCHOOLS!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930’s 40's, 50's, 60's and 70’s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat
rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis ***** and ate worms (only with some tomato sauce for me) and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

This is good it reminds me of that Bucky Covington song on cmt, this is so true.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan View Post

No, I think it means your reminded her of her GRANDFATHER
Dont ask me how I know that.

Yup, I grew up in them years. It was fun.
Had my knuckles wrapped with a ruler in school many times. Slow learner.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tbarbee1
Yeah but do you feel like a grown up???
Mature and wiser now. My mom used to tell me I wasnt happy unless I was going Mach2 with my hair on fire. I still have the agressivness but have lost some of that Mach 2 attitude, now ging about Mach 1, only with less hair.

I work now just as much as I did when I was younger, I just work smarter than I did before.

If I had to do it over again, I would have taken better care of myself physically, as my attitude was "There isnt anything I cant lift, climb or do" Now my back and legs say otherwise, so I have to do things in a smarter way to get the same job accomplished.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:12 AM

man I am getting too old. it just seems like yesterday I was only 25 years old. Oh yeah, I was. I'm 26 today What I would give to be 16 again...
Old 09-10-2007, 12:35 AM

In all honestly Stan, i think the difference between growing up and growing old is all mental.
growing old means you simply cant or wont do the things you enjoy and lossing the ability to live as you choose..infirmity or illness takes over. After a certain point you dont try and that is when you are "old"....

Growing up is a matter of becoming mature enough to think of others before we act. To use Pistolswhipts example( doing donuts in the road), as a "kid" we didnt think about the expense of replacing tires and getting a ticket, or about how it might impact someone else, where as an adult( grown-up) we realize that paying the ticket means not being able to buy groceries or pay bills, or that we could loose control of the vehicle and injure someone else...or know that we are being watched by our kids and they are learning from our behavior...

so we dont do things like that anymore. Its not that we dont enjoy it anymore, we simply have developed a different veiw of life and our role in the world. Growing up means developing a sense of responsibility for our actions and the impact they have on the others around us.

Imagine a button that is held down by a bottel of milk. Removing the bottle will destroy the world. A child who is hungry wotn care about the results and willtake the bottle. A mature person will think of the consequenses of the act and wont......
Old 09-10-2007, 08:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
Mature and wiser now. My mom used to tell me I wasnt happy unless I was going Mach2 with my hair on fire. I still have the agressivness but have lost some of that Mach 2 attitude, now ging about Mach 1, only with less hair.

I work now just as much as I did when I was younger, I just work smarter than I did before.

If I had to do it over again, I would have taken better care of myself physically, as my attitude was "There isnt anything I cant lift, climb or do" Now my back and legs say otherwise, so I have to do things in a smarter way to get the same job accomplished.

HEre it is this is what I was looking for I just wasnt asking correctly do you loose the aggressiveness and vigor or the competitive spirit. And it looks like the answer is no. You still want to be first and win everything no matter your age I just dont want to wake up some day and not care any more and wonder what happened to the guy who thought if people were passing him on the highway he was getting beat.

Quick Reply: how things change with age?