Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How to Survive a Tech Support Call

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Oh Stan, you are wonderful. I just flipped to our Dodge site after leaving the Dell site. I received an email asking me to rate their support after my problem with my computer. So, your little epistle was so timely and I did giggle, then, you rascal - - it made me mad all over again. Shame on you - - you knew I was upset and just wanted to rub salt in the wounds. Here I thought you were my friend.

My Dell is now not quite 2 months old. It has not been running for five weeks. The run around from the "paint by number" tech support teams in India was absolutely the most frustrating experience you can imagine. My problem: the computer will not run, the computer shows no signs of life, the computer has no lights except one on the mother board that light up, no fans run, no light on the front - - nothing. Their first suggestion: make sure it is plugged into a socket that has power. HELLO - - there is a light shining on the mother board. Suggestion: reset the ram. HELLO - - how does ram stop the cute little light on the front of the computer from coming on? Suggestion: reset the firewire board. HELLO: (same reponse). Suggestion: unplug all periphial components, start the computer, then plug them back in one at a time and see which one makes it shut down. HELLO, is there a human there??? No lights come on, the computer will not start, it is sitting in the middle of the floor with nothing plugged into it except the power cord.

Oh well, I finally found a little tiny back door and contacted someone who could get something done - - it is back up and running. New mother board, power supply and processor. Thankfully all data was saved. Thanks Stan, that was a grin.

TryingToCalmBackDownBob
Old 07-29-2006, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picture "Larry the Cable Guy" on the line talking with Dell Customer Service... Wouldn't you LOVE to listen in on that one???

K.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
You know the absolute smallest of things that make me absolutely furios???? Huh??? PRESS ONE FOR ENGLISH. I want to shoot them through the phone. I'm calling from America you jack 'donkey'. If I wanted spanglish support, I'd call Mexico. Sad thing is, most tech calls are routed to India or somewhere. I always ask for 'a person that can speak fluent English'. That usually promts a 'supervisor' of which I love to talk to. I tell them that I am in America and I speak English and would appreciate it if they hired folks that can speak English to support products bought in America by Americans.....AHAHAHAHAH! It just makes me sooooo MAD!

Ok, I'm back. I'm so shallow. Now Altell, that's a different story. Their reps are idiots, at least the ones that called me Friday night during supper and Saturday morning at 8:00am. I told them my phone worked half the time so I only paid half my bill. My final bill was $400 to cancel two phones becuase they did absolutley nothing for me. I called and called and.... opps. I lost it again. Altell is TOTAL CRAP. Ok, no more flaming.

Back to the subject, tech support is absolutley horrible.

You really need to cut down on the caffine.....
Old 07-30-2006, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by SoTexRattler
What I love about dealing with Dell? I figured out what was wrong with my PC before I even picked up the phone.. (dead modem)
I still had to go through this same lengthy "rewarding" experience just so they would OK the warranty replacement of such a cheap component..

K
I finally figured out how to work around this, tell them what they want to hear.
"have you checked the power cable"
"yes"
"have you removed the battery and waited 20 seconds"
"yes"
"have you held down F2 while the PC booted"
"yes"
"have you removed the battery & power supply and then held down the power key"
"yes"

I knew the laptop needed a power supply and just agreed until I had a new power supply under warrenty.

The other thing is that the upper-level Dell server support appears to still be in the US. I get a Texas-drawl every time I call. Then again, if I pay $400/machine/year, I want the best Texan I can get!!

brnadon.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:41 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just went thru the same fiasco with HP support. After a week of BS and at least a hundred "sorry, I don't understand what you're saying", they're finally sending me a new CD/DVDW for the desktop.

And.....they haven't figured out the 75080 zipcode.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by joefarmer
I finally figured out how to work around this, tell them what they want to hear.
"have you checked the power cable"
"yes"
"have you removed the battery and waited 20 seconds"
"yes"
"have you held down F2 while the PC booted"
"yes"
"have you removed the battery & power supply and then held down the power key"
"yes"

I knew the laptop needed a power supply and just agreed until I had a new power supply under warrenty.

The other thing is that the upper-level Dell server support appears to still be in the US. I get a Texas-drawl every time I call. Then again, if I pay $400/machine/year, I want the best Texan I can get!!

brnadon.
I did that early on in the tech support phone call process... It didn't shorten the process that I could tell...
Also, I spent more phone time connected to New-Delhi talking to "Robert", "Tom", etc with Indian accents.. I finally was forwarded to a more knowlegeable, very American sounding tech named Pratap that OK'ed the replacement.. I asked him where he was, "Canada" was the reply...

K.