Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How much is too much (technology in vehicles)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorts
Darin award candidates usually take others instead.
Like the 2 drunk idiots here in McKinney racing their Mustangs down Lake Forest at 2 am this past Monday. Both of them broadsided a street sweeper turning into a parking lot. Killed one of the guys in the street sweeper, but both drunks survived.

~Rob
Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

What they need is onboard cameras to snap a picture of the drivers face hitting an airbag and then send it to facebook via onstar.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redleg
What they need is onboard cameras to snap a picture of the drivers face hitting an airbag and then send it to facebook via onstar.
I shouldn't laugh at that because it means someone got hurt, but the initial image is funny.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by hotdram
Like the 2 drunk idiots here in McKinney racing their Mustangs down Lake Forest at 2 am this past Monday. Both of them broadsided a street sweeper turning into a parking lot. Killed one of the guys in the street sweeper, but both drunks survived.

~Rob
That's terrible

Two guys street racing head-oned my mom that way. One of the guys was killed after he bounced off a car that pulled out from a stop sign, flipped up and catapulted onto my mom's car coming the other way after just turning onto the street.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Back to the thread.

Too much technology started with basic power options, windows/locks etc.

What was wrong with a vehicle being a vehicle. Nice to have a heater, power steering isn't a requirement, power brakes are nice, but my 52 chevy, which has no power anything, will steer just fine, and outstop most modern vehicles with just a wheel cylinder upgrade.

The auto locks bug me. I don't want the automatic cab imprisonment system on ANYTHING I drive. Period.

My 01 dodge has the nice stuff, cloth interior with carpet, genuine steering wheel, 3 pedals ( just like it should have, 4 if you count the park brake) No tilt, no cruise, no power options. Just the way a truck should be. Less to go wrong that way.

As far as texting/reading/applying makeup/pouring coffee/etc while driving, common sense says don't, but that isn't common anymore. And all the legislation in the world won't change that. But before I go off, I'll shut up.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
Dang it, you guys are getting me wound up again.
Even the self parking feature baffles me. Now I can see how, after a long night of drinking and driving, a feature like that could be useful especially if you are talking on the cell phone while balancing a burger, beer and cigarette.
Otherwise, if you lack the ability to park a car than maybe you shouldnt be driving it.
I thought that was a stupid, over -the -top feature as well, but you've shined a new light on it. I cna really see the usefullness now! Seriously!

Hell, I don't even like anti lock brakes! Stupid on my part, but I was pulling out of our jobsite parking lot couple days ago and there's one tree in the middle of the drive that you can go around either side. I was looking down for a sec writing a note in my log book, looked up and I was about 20' from the tree, headed straight at it maybe 5mph. Jammed on the brakes and there was a dusting of snow on clean gravel. ABS kicked in and smack! Center punched the tree! I know for sure that had the wheels locked up I'd have stopped up short of the tree. (Apparently F150 bumpers are good for less than 5mph becuase it put a big dent in the bumper!)
Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Some people need park assist even when no one is around...
My favorite is watching somebody try and park a 15ft long car in a 15ft parking spot.
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Agreed, life is now being degraded due to too MUCH technology
Yet both you and Stan were delighted when they replaced those square tires with a new invention (the wheel).
Old 03-17-2011, 02:46 PM

My favorite is watching somebody try and park a 15ft long car in a 15ft parking spot.
Yet both you and Stan were delighted when they replaced those square tires with a new invention (the wheel).

short message!
Old 03-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Actually I think round tires are not all they are cracked up to be (which would be evident to you if you took a ride in my truck with old mud and snow tires with flat spots ) and I am holding out thinking round is just a passing fad like.... color TV
Old 03-17-2011, 08:29 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
In today's news:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...r-distracting/
Old 03-18-2011, 05:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Redleg

I hate saying it, but this isn't a bad idea.

I used to live in southern California and did the commute from Ontario to LA. Sometimes on the 10, sometimes doing the 60/71/91/241 route to Irvine and Newport. I've seen men shave and read newspapers. I've seen women put their makeup on. Texting, talking on the phone, e-mailing with a Blackberry, you name it.

And all of it while I'm in traffic!

I've only been to work late a few time, mostly due to stuff I couldn't avoid like accidents or assisting until a first responder got there.

Kris
Old 03-19-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 451 Likes on 343 Posts
The only difference between a cell phone and a sub woofer is you can't hear a cell phone 2 miles away. Those are the only people I will go out of my way to smoke out.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:55 PM

there are people that will tell you that once they put a radio in vehicles it was a step the wrong way.

i can tell you that once they tried to make a car into your house intsead of a mode of transport the devil giggled.

though u gotta die somehow, atleast these people will die knowin their buddy is gettin ice cream at baskin robins.