Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How much is too much (technology in vehicles)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much is too much (technology in vehicles)?

Saw an add for the Chevy Cruze the other day that lets you hear Facebook updates and update YOUR Facebook status through OnStar. People can't frickin' drive as it is, this is too much in my opinion.
Handsfree or not, somebody will kill someone because they were too busy telling the world they just ate at Jack in the Box or they got wrapped up in someone else's Facebook status.

From the Chevy website:

"Hands-free Facebook®
Stay connected to your social network on the go. Now you can update your Facebook status or check your newsfeed without taking your eyes off the road with your current OnStar® subscription(17)."

~Rob
Old 03-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Agreed, life is now being degraded due to too MUCH technology I can't drive 5 miles from my home without yelling at 25 people to get off the phone and DRIVE!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 PM

I agree,

I do like some of the new features like temp, and fuel mileage, but I could like with out most other stuff. (my truck has neither of the above and I get along fine, my car has both)
Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Bypassing fuses for the headlights and letting the computer decide if the load is too high is more than enough technology!
The old fashioned battery to fuse to switch to light bulb worked fine. If it ain't broke, why fix it?
The above is just one example, but there are unfortunately many more.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 PM

Lary and Stan,
Once they got rid of the hand crank and put those new fangled electric starter motors in was probably too much for you two

~Rob
Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I thought my 00 Nissan XE had too much technology... it wont let me redline the engine and shuts me down at 110 mph.
There are some features that are good. minute by minute updates on face book isn't a feature. its stalking...
Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Dang it, you guys are getting me wound up again.
Even the self parking feature baffles me. Now I can see how, after a long night of drinking and driving, a feature like that could be useful especially if you are talking on the cell phone while balancing a burger, beer and cigarette.
Otherwise, if you lack the ability to park a car than maybe you shouldnt be driving it.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 PM

Far to much technology if that is what you want to call it. People are doing all the types of accidents that you can imagine. This is mainly caused by their confusion on the "hands free" feature. Another is the ESP and I am thinking the Extra Stupid People feature needs to be turned off.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Bark
Dang it, you guys are getting me wound up again.
Even the self parking feature baffles me. Now I can see how, after a long night of drinking and driving, a feature like that could be useful especially if you are talking on the cell phone while balancing a burger, beer and cigarette.
Otherwise, if you lack the ability to park a car than maybe you shouldnt be driving it.
walking the dog tonight, we went by the post office, and there was a nice looking black Jeep, raised on some mudders, perfectly clean. the post office is the only place in town to parallel park and NO ONE WAS AROUND. and the jeep was crooked and about a foot from the curb.
Some people need park assist even when no one is around...
Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by hotdram
Lary and Stan,
Once they got rid of the hand crank and put those new fangled electric starter motors in was probably too much for you two

~Rob
In my much younger years I did actually own a couple of cars that came from the factory with a crank. Used it too when I could not afford to buy new batteries. Two of the cars even had a very small crank clipped inside the glove box. This was in case the wipers died and you could screw it on to a shaft extension under the dash and power the wipers by hand.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really don't understand why you guys are upset. They've been warned, new laws have been written, and these morons still do it.

It's natural selection, survival of the fittest, Clorox in the gene pool. If you're stupid enough to talk on a phone in traffic (not using hands free), text, update your Twitter/Facebook, whatever else will be the new "in-thing" then why should we even care?

Forrest was right .... stupid is as stupid does.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
In my much younger years I did actually own a couple of cars that came from the factory with a crank.
You probably owned at least one with no roof or windshield as standard equipment.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
You probably owned at least one with no roof or windshield as standard equipment.
Not true! All my cars had windshields and roofs, but some of the older ones had no floor as it was rusted out. Lived on the coast of the Indian Ocean and the salt air rusted everything fast.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 AM

[QUOTE=HMX-1;2942142]I really don't understand why you guys are upset. They've been warned, new laws have been written, and these morons still do it.QUOTE]

Her in Pa they are trying to pass a Teen Driving Bill because there have been several teens killed in cara accidents. Most caused by kids texting, having too many people in the vehicle (Durango with 10 people in it), and driving too fast. Don't need more laws, just need the parents to give the kids rules and follow up on them.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HMX-1
I really don't understand why you guys are upset. They've been warned, new laws have been written, and these morons still do it.

It's natural selection, survival of the fittest, Clorox in the gene pool. If you're stupid enough to talk on a phone in traffic (not using hands free), text, update your Twitter/Facebook, whatever else will be the new "in-thing" then why should we even care?

Forrest was right .... stupid is as stupid does.

Darwin award candidates usually take others instead.

..."I looked down for a second"...."I didn't see him"...

Re: technology
Why don't they just start implanting WiFi into people's brains and get it over with.

Quick Reply: How much is too much (technology in vehicles)