Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How many Dune riders here

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Silver lake state park in MI

Five hours from home but well worth the drive. My Raptor is made for the sand it seems. My truck on the other hand is not. I bent both front wheels on some whoop-de-doos. I thought I'd be towing the truck home after that, but it only bent the wheels.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=500&page=1[/IMG]

Old 08-16-2005, 08:40 PM

Sorry, guess I missed those last two replys
James, St. Anthonys is about 20 miles north of Idaho falls, directions and a map of the dunes here
gatf4 you going to get one of the new 700EFI raptors? we already have two of them on the DR forum
Old 08-16-2005, 09:46 PM

My wife would kill me if I show up with any new toys There was a guy from Ohio who had this brand new Sand Rail out to test and tune it. He just had it delivered from Tatum Motorsports in AZ Two days Earlier. I'm new to the Dunes and The ones in my pictures are about 1 mile by about 1/2 mile right along Lake Michigan. That is way to small for this guys rail. I've never seen a DuneBuggy like this guys before. I was flat out flabbergasted. Twin turbo 427 aluminum Small block Chevy w/Sequential shift Indy car style trans. He was nice engough to take me for a ride in it and it was the most BAD A$$ and fastest thing I've ever been in. He must of done a trip around the Dunes in about 1 minute. We must of been Ten feet in the air and he said he thought he was over 125mph a couple of times, and I believed him. If I had an extra $125,000 laying around this is what I would buy!

He talked about St Anthony's in Idaho and told us it was the best place in the country to ride. I'm sure some will disagree but it sure sounded nice. He said he was going there for two weeks I got the impression that this sand car had to be one of the best in the country. You can tell I was impressed. It was like being on a Roller coaster with no tracks. The dunes Rock! These pictures are from July 1ST and I was just there again last week Sorry for the long post
Sorry I couldn't get the link to work for the picture but it's in my gallery.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Chapter President

I call on Tatum about twice a month. These guys make some mad rigs.

If you look at my Ranger, you can kinda tell the only thing I can afford from them is the mirror in my pic...

tom
Old 08-17-2005, 11:14 AM

i have a bombadier 650 and i bet it is a blast in the dunes, but the closest one to me are 8 hrs. but i would love to give it a go. i also have a 250 3 wheeler set up for dune running. extended swing arm, motor work and a set of paddles on the back.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:36 PM

not trying to offend anyone here, but sand sucks. at least mud gets dirty before ripping your junk apart. I have ridden a quad on dunes before and that was fun but there's only so much of going up and down a hill I can take. that's just me.

I wouldn't mind going to see the idiots jump their full size vehicles, though. I don't mind seeing bent frame.

but if sand is your thing, rock on!

and nice shot of the quad w/ nothing but sand in the bg.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:26 PM

I ride Little Sahara in Utah about every other month or so. Depending on my mood I will ride either a 250r or a 400ex. Nice to see some fellow riders here.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:00 AM

I lve about 15 minutes from silver lake sand dunes. Get their as much as I can. Unfortunately not getting their much this year .

I currently ride a 400ex with a couple things done to improve it .
Living here my whole life I have had many, many quads for the dunes, and as soon as I can I will ride one of those new 700 raptors. So far my hold 400 will hang with most quads, but not a ds760. sweet quad!
Old 08-18-2005, 10:01 PM

Good to hear from you Sharpmachine. The dunes are great and I can't believe that it took us this long to find them. It's kind of far for us to drive but we were thinking of trying to find a property near there to store our wave runners, 4 wheelers and maybe some snowmobiles for some year round fun. 15 minutes make me jealous for sure. Maybe I'll see you around. We'll definately back over there before Halloween.