Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How to keep cats out of yard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:54 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this works for me , also works on human neighbours who wander around un wanted.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd say use the hava-heart trap. then put the in the neighbors car with the windows cracked for air. a bowl of water and let them all over the seats. let them get a little sent of what your probably getting at your house. if they lock the car doors take them to the pound or give away on craigslist.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:14 PM

Benjamin sheridan

397 model, 800 fps, silent but violent with a .177 caliber... Gamo shadow 1000's rock but they are far too loud...

Rick
Old 07-30-2007, 10:15 PM

Just caught one last night in the live trap.
I don't put it out until one scratches the paint or sprays in my garage then it's on. A little drive the next morning about 15 miles away and it's back to nature for the that little kitty.
If I have to pay a fine for my dog not being on a leash or not being in my yard Then keep the cats off my cars and off my property, our the cat as to pay the fine.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:29 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by JKM
this works for me , also works on human neighbours who wander around un wanted.

What on earth is that thing ???
Old 07-30-2007, 10:36 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I got a neighbor, that stays in the nut-house most of the time.

He gets a big charge out of live-trapping cats, then dunking trap, cat and all, in a fifty-five gallon drum of water.

I ain't got no use for cats, PERIOD; but, I ain't quite that heartless, either.

The absolute best cat-killers alive are Blue-Heeler dogs, quicker than a .22-bullet and on duty 24 hours a day.

Next best are what we have, Border Collies; the difference being that the heelers instantly rip 'em to shreds, whereas the collies sort of wool them around a while.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
The absolute best cat-killers alive are Blue-Heeler dogs, quicker than a .22-bullet and on duty 24 hours a day.

Next best are what we have, Border Collies; the difference being that the heelers instantly rip 'em to shreds, whereas the collies sort of wool them around a while.
I used two have 2 heelers that would kill cats at the drop of a hat, problem was they did not like strangers around the place much either. Not a good thing when your dog tears up the power meter reader guy.

I Now have a Vizsla that is pretty darn efficient at killing cats. He is quick as lightning, and hates cats with a passion. It's something else to watch, there is a quick point.....a short stalk.....a quick burst of speed.......no more kitty. I used to get after him for it, till some feral cats made my tack shed their home and sprayed urine everywhere. Talk about stink! Now I let him tear em up. Needless to say, I have no cat problems.

If you want to deter the cats from your yard, without dogs or excessive force, go to a place that sells trapping supplies, get some bobcat urine and put in a few key places around the yard. Don't get it too close to where you spend a lot of time as it gets pretty rank. It'll keep them at bay. Dad uses the same method with coyote urine to keep his neighbors dogs off his favorite bushes around the house.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:30 AM

I like the paint ball gun the best. I don't care for the killing either by human or dogs. Not necessary.

I'm going to try paintball for deer hunting this fall. It wil be a challenge to get close enough for a 1 shot "kill".

I wonder if I need a license for this??

Old 07-31-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
What on earth is that thing ???
Mmmmm..... PAINTBALL!

Son was a FANATIC paintballer before he was old enough to play (publicly) with the genuine article. He had some pretty high-tech gear then - heck, he still does, but it's noisier now.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hoss
Understatement of the day.

I dislike cats but I don't want to kill or injure them...so I generally only pump the pellet gun five times instead of ten. Fifteen will penetrate a dog's skin and cause much bleeding, but don't ask me how I know.

well on the charger idea i put one on the fence for my dogs (100 mile) and they can hear it arking around the insulators. and on the pellet gun idea, even five is a little hefty for a cat, saying my brother still swears on his life when he put a BB thru my hand it was only one pump
Old 07-31-2007, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CB rounds for a .22 theyre quieter than a .22 short with more punch than a pellet very nice. FYI walmart carries the CB rounds.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by WHITE3500DUALLY
A little drive the next morning about 15 miles away and it's back to nature for the that little kitty.
All you're doing is putting the problem off on somebody else. Either put them out of their misery or take them to the pound. Have you ever seen an animal that's diseased and starving to death? A bullet is a better ending.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:27 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Funny timing, but when Igot home this morning I had to remove teh remains of one of the 'neighborhood" cats from teh front yard. Looked like the Shepard didnt like this one at all....
Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM

It is far better to shoot them than turning them loose somewhere else if you don't want to take them to a animal shelter. Causes a lot of problems for wildlife too, cats are hard on quail. I have had to dispatch ferral cats when hunting and a 30.06 or 12 gauge steel is pretty hard on them.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:05 PM

fence charger will probably work. have never been able to run a cat off. but will give them 3 chances. after that what ever it takes. shoot close to a dog the second time and he will almost always stay away. like the song says " but the cat came back"

Quick Reply: How to keep cats out of yard?