Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: What do you use your truck for?
Joy of driving
20.31%
Occasional hauling/towing
54.77%
Hauling in the bed (regularly)
5.85%
Pulling a trailer (regularly)
19.08%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

How do you use your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drew03
does this look like the half ton resource?
Oh man I dunno why but I find that funny.

Occasionaly load in the bed, or towing a trailer with cars/tractors/forklifts/farm implements etc. About once a month or so.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:16 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even if you occasionaly tow, pulling stuff around with a gasser is just depressing if you have ever towed with a diesel.

I recently sold my "good" reason to have a diesel truck (5,000 lb. tractor), so now my only excuse is our boat.

I wouldn't care if I had nothing to tow, I spend a lot of time at Home Cheapo, si I have to be able to chuck stuff in the bed.
I'm always going to have a truck of some sort, might as well be diesel powered!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:33 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by drew03
does this look like the half ton resource?
Mine is rated at half ton too... im here because I like diesels and want a dodge, but I learned with my Nisssan that a forum is a great way to get the truth about these trucks. A salesman or mechanic isn't going to tell you everything.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:07 AM
Banned

i bought it because i love big trucks, wanted to add some power and make the 4 ton wonder scream down the 1/4 mile, and i figured id be able to tow and/or haul the quads around...but being 20 i am extremely stupid in my fathers eyes and he does not allow me to tow.

i have towed a car trailer with a malibu once, a 16' trailer with 2 quads on it once, and an 8' trailer twice, once with a street bike, the other time with a set of concrete precast steps. so ive had a trailer on it 4 times in 16 months...not bad. like i said tho pops dont let me tow because i might wreck and someone sue him. apparently i dont know to brake early, check my mirrors when turning, or make sure im clear when switching lanes.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:33 AM

Got a truck big enough to fit my bike in the back and wanted a diesel so Cummins looked like the way to go. DRW just happened to be the best deal I could find on a manual.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:23 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You really needed a "daily driver" in the poll, but since you didn't have that I went with joy of driving. I run empty 99.5% of the time. Every once in a while I might pull a light trailer (relatively speaking), but usually I just drive it and enjoy it.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Begle1
I've never towed anything on mine...

I got my truck because I wanted a Diesel that wasn't in something giant; my truck was basically just what I wanted. I don't really have much of a use for a truck, although I do use it for hauling around pool cleaning supplies every other day. Nope, mainly I drive mine wherever I need to go and rely on it to drive across country once a month...
So I'm not the only one that bought a vehicle he didn't need just to get a Cummins?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use my truck

as my daily commuter, tows trailers once a week on average now, and as u can see thru my gallery photos, as pretty much my locker room and personal library on school related materials. Better yet, my mobile office. I can attest to what i have on it as well, 4wd for deer lease and ranches i visit, and most accessories i have on it serve a purpose, so i love my truck, it does what i need it to, torque, power and mileage are awesome, and most of all its paid for...

Tx
Old 11-16-2005, 10:23 AM

Mainly used as a daily driver. Only loaded stuff in the bed twice in the 5 months that i've had it
Old 11-16-2005, 03:02 PM

pushin snow.......and pullin a car trailer

COop
Old 11-16-2005, 04:12 PM

Daily transportation, yard work, home projects, pulling my 5er, and my 20ft. boat on the weekends. I never had a need for a truck until I bought a couple acres of land, then comes the boat, RV, yard work, and then you need a truck.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:07 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm one of those "Joy of driving" folks. My truck makes me smile every time I drive it.

I do work it occasionally. When you have a 1 ton pickup friends tend to ask you to move heavy stuff. This weekend I went with a buddy to pick up a pallet of cement for his addition. 80# bags x 42 gets the back end squattin' a little, but I still had 3/4" to go before the bumpstops. There will be pics when he emails them to me.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:28 PM

i pull a 7x14 800 miles a week. it's my job lol
Old 11-16-2005, 06:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I first got out of college in 2000, I moved to the Vail valley in Colorado. In that area you can't walk two steps w/out tripping over a dozen turbo-diesel pickup trucks. One morning I was leaving a quaint little mexican diner in Gypsum (yeah, that's where they make the drywall) and I heard a straight piped Cummins wind up through the gears getting on to I-70. I was absolutely floored with that sound. Just kinda stood there, like this---- ''Gotta get me one of those'' was all I could think. The rest, as they say...
Old 11-16-2005, 07:16 PM

Mine works hard and plays rough. It's already sporting 25k miles and has a couple of work related wounds and the bed is all scratched up. It tows the same 5th wheel my previous Cummins Rams towed, runs the same speeds but at a higher rpm and loves gas! I buy it the good stuff! I like 'em both. The grunt of a diesel and the roar of a gasser.
As fer the 1/2 tons... We have literally dozens of construction sites with the building boom in our area from houses to high rises. Gawd I love the city! The hardest working trucks at any construction site are F-150s. Those poor bass droppings get beat, abused, kicked and battered and keep on going. The boss's dually diesel is usually all clean and protected sportin' a new wax job and wheels sitting out by the road profiling. Nothing wrong with that and there are many many dually diesels out earning a living. But the 1/2 tons earn their keep too. The poor red-headed step children of the construction sites that do most of the dirty work.

Quick Reply: How do you use your truck?