Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How do you surf this site?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you surf this site?

I've been bumpin around here for a couple of months and one question I have is...

How do you guys and gals surf this site?

I hadn't thought much about much until I saw the thread that somebody posted about the mark thread read option not working for them.

I have always just hit the "view new posts" link. Maybe there is a better way
Old 03-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just read the individual forums, then mark that forum read.

First visit of the day, I visit the "Other" forum, since I've been put in charge of keeping it civil in there.

After I've read the new posts in there, I mark it read, then move on to "Help".

Then I work my way down, marking each forum read as I finish with it.

Then I start back in "Other", checking for new posts, then back to "Help" and the process continues until I log out for the day.

Viewing just the new posts ultimately leads to confusion, as most don't read the previous posts in a thread and end up answering the same questions multiple times.

phox
Old 03-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Chapter President

phox, when you hit the new post button, mine takes me to the first post(question) and then I read throught the replies to see which way things are going.

Am I missing something...
Tom
Old 03-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Tfeore
phox, when you hit the new post button, mine takes me to the first post(question) and then I read throught the replies to see which way things are going.

Tom
I guess I've just never done it that way,
just figured there had to be a reason for the copycat answers buried deep withing the replies.

I didn't really want to read the 12 valve, or 3rd gen forums, and most of the new posts were 3rd gen posts.
So I just would go to the forums that interested me and clicked on the new posts in a particular thread.

Being a moderator, I now have to (get to?) read everything, over and over and over again.

Not complaining mind you, it's not that bad being a moderator, and the pay is well worth it.

phox
Old 03-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Chapter President

I can't wait till I grow up and get to apply for a moderator job!!!

I agree about the 1st and 2nd gen stuff, I just bypass those and look at the ones that interest me.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:14 AM

My method is very simple. I go to the main forum page, and I click on "View New Posts" just under your name in the right hand upper corner. you will see all the posts since your last "reset". When you're done viewing, at the bottom of each page of posts is a line of text that says "Mark All Forms Read" . Click that and and those posts will disappear and you'll begin to compile a new list of posts. If you step away from the PC or log out, the list will build until your next visit. You can also leave the window up and do a refresh and if there's any new threads, they will be displayed. If you have lost the window you were working in, just go back to the main forum window and click on "View New Posts" The list will show all of the new posts since your last visit. Using this method, I rarely if ever miss any posts, in any of the forums. Likewise, I rarely visit an individual forum now.

Tom Hybiske
Old 03-23-2004, 09:08 AM

Tom
Just curious, do you ever click on the"subscribe to this thread" button at the bottom of each thread? This generates an email to your personal home mailbox each time the thread gets another post. You don't have to post a reply to use this feature.

Phox, perhaps you can shed some lite here, but it seems to me when I post a reply and don't subscribe, I miss getting emails when a thread gets additional posts the following day. In other words I only get emails that the post is been updated the same day as I post unless I subscribe.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My method is pretty simple. I stay logged in all the time, so I have a shortcut set up to the forums. I start at the bottom, read Towing & Hauling, Other and General Diesel, replying to them as I see fit. If I have time I'll check out the two 3rd Gen forums. Then I close my internet browser (or go to another site and follow a similar procedure) and come back later to see what's new.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Chapter President

If I'm really interested I subscribe and get an email when a new post is in(only if I subscribe though).

I have been doing it the way commatoze does, minus the mark forums read. It's works out just fine and I always have something new to read. I was just wondering how others did it...
Old 03-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by natstayl
Just curious, do you ever click on the"subscribe to this thread" button at the bottom of each thread? This generates an email to your personal home mailbox each time the thread gets another post. You don't have to post a reply to use this feature.

Phox, perhaps you can shed some lite here, but it seems to me when I post a reply and don't subscribe, I miss getting emails when a thread gets additional posts the following day. In other words I only get emails that the post is been updated the same day as I post unless I subscribe.
No idea.

I've never been one to subscribe to threads, on purpose anyway.
Occasionally I mis-click on subscribe instead of mark read.

Hopefully one of the other mod's checks in.

phox
Old 03-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Hoss
My method is pretty simple. I stay logged in all the time, so I have a shortcut set up to the forums. I start at the bottom, read Towing & Hauling, Other and General Diesel, replying to them as I see fit. If I have time I'll check out the two 3rd Gen forums. Then I close my internet browser (or go to another site and follow a similar procedure) and come back later to see what's new.
Yes but Hoss some of us work for a living and can't bring the 'puter in the truck.
I go to the new threads and reset it when I leave. This usually gets all the current stuff outa the way.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Chapter President

I don't want to reveal what a DA I am but, here goes. The little arrow next to the thread title will take you to the last post.
This place is great, gotta put that one on my "Things I learned today" list
Old 03-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Administrator

I don't want to reveal what a DA I am but, here goes. The little arrow next to the thread title will take you to the last post.
This place is great, gotta put that one on my "Things I learned today" list
Actually, it's supposed to take you to the first "unread" post.
Usually works, sometimes get's confused and takes you somewhere in the middle of the thread.

The arrow on the far right takes you to the last post, unread or not.

phox