Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How do you get rid of a woodpecker?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Geico266
What a mental picture
There is something "mental" about that whole thing

~Rob
Old 03-11-2005, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with many of these guys

However, a 22 short or subsonic is a good choice.. I have two in my truck. A gamo shadow 1000, or a benjamin sheridan. both 177 caliber, cant go wrong with either or.. silent but deadly...

Best value, if you want accuracy, compact size, and dependability and dont mind pumping it 8x, the benjamin is for you, (800 FPS velocity)

Best value, if you want a single pump, break open synthetic stock all weather, and just plain hard hitting pellet gun, fork out the extra forty and get the shadow 1000 (1000 FPS velocity)

I have them both, pm me if you have any questions.. oh yeah we also have beemans.....

Good luck

Tx
Old 03-11-2005, 08:51 AM
JKE

Rob - IF you could manage, a non-leathal solution would be great. I'm not a tree hugger, but I wouldn't blast a woodpecker for doing his thing. I guess the tree isn't really worth that much to me.....Now, if it were damaging the house or something that may be different. JMHO - JKE
Old 03-11-2005, 08:55 AM

The solution will be non-lethal.
Here is an interesting link I found on woodpeckers control:
Click Here
Here is a snippet from it:
Lethal Control
When several nonlethal control methods fail to deter nuisance woodpeckers, lethal control may be required as a last resort. Woodpeckers are classified as migratory nongame birds and are protected by the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act. A federal permit is required before any lethal control methods are employed. Penalties and fines are assessed to violators.

To request an application for a depredation permit, (a permit that allows you to kill a woodpecker due to property damage), call the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service - Migratory Bird Permit Office at 303-236-8171. The application may also be downloaded from their Web site at www.fws.gov. Chose the "permits" section, select "migratory bird permits," and then chose "depredation" permit application form. This form must then be submitted in writing along with the application fee.

Additionally, you must obtain Form 37 and send it with your application. Form 37 can be acquired by calling the U.S. Department of Agriculture - Wildlife Services at 303-969-5775. You will need to explain the problem over the phone and they will then issue you a Form 37 which details the problem and includes their recommendations to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.
I do not want to violate any laws. Discharging any firearm in my city would be stupid. I live in the 'burbs and our houses are too close together.

~Rob
Old 03-11-2005, 08:57 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Had the same problem with the lill' pecker banging the house.....

Naw seriously, I hung a plastic trash bag on the vent pipe near where he was banging the flashing and it flapped enough in the wind that he decided to go to the neighbors...

If ya cant fix it, make it someone elses problem.....
Old 03-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Administrator

FLAMETHROWER baby. Gets rid of the problem and the evidence at the same time.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4
Maybe I need a "smoke thrower". Still got your stacks?

~Rob
Old 03-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
pssst Rob......... I have some camo paint left over if you need it
Old 03-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by hotdram
Maybe I need a "smoke thrower". Still got your stacks?

~Rob
Yep.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...php/photo/3800

That'l do it.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4
Old 03-11-2005, 10:17 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I concur with getting rid of the bugs. If that doesn't work, let me know. I can probable schedule you for a couple of air bursts.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:25 AM

Yall r to darned funny..now my question is..who can I rent to get rid of mine..I was curling my hair this morning for work and heard a scratch on the bathroom window n then this horrid knockin noise..looked out n sure nuff the lil booger was tryin to peck my window open...i banged back n he flew away..im sure he will be back...he comes yearly for a few weeks n bangs on the corner of the house until hes left a good nuff mark then moves on...unless rob ****** his off nuff that it decided to make its way to my house.
~Heather~
Old 03-11-2005, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by azcwbyteaser
Yall r to darned funny..now my question is..who can I rent to get rid of mine..I was curling my hair this morning for work and heard a scratch on the bathroom window n then this horrid knockin noise..looked out n sure nuff the lil booger was tryin to peck my window open...i banged back n he flew away..im sure he will be back...he comes yearly for a few weeks n bangs on the corner of the house until hes left a good nuff mark then moves on...unless rob ****** his off nuff that it decided to make its way to my house.
~Heather~
Heather,
Call the police. Darn peepin tom pecker !
Old 03-11-2005, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by GreenZ
Heather,
Call the police. Darn peepin tom pecker !
lol no kiddin..at least i wasnt in the shower..but still kinda startled me..cus the windows up high and kinda hard to get to lol..talk bout a wake up call.
~Heather~
Old 03-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned

I've been itching to play with my .308. I think I finally found a reason to pull it out.

Quick Reply: How do you get rid of a woodpecker?