Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How do ya'll Yankees do it

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:14 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorts
Is it a common assumption of Northerners that Southerners have never lived in the north? Thus Northerners think Southerners have no business stating "It's cold" with any legitimacy? Is there a merit badge that Southerners must earn to say "It's cold"? What are the requirements to earn said merit badge?
Repairing 1500' of 5 wire fence at -20 or lower. There is a training class being held next week.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Absolutely beautiful! I love places like that. Thanks for sharing!

Still waiting on the Lab story!
Battle Creek resident here (wintering in Mission Tx)
Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

And just for good measure, water ain't cold till you can walk on it.

But that's kinda splitting chaikwa's...
Old 02-11-2011, 10:21 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's beautiful over there!

Now tell us about the Lab.
Chester? He's a hoot. Loves snow and long walks on the beach. It's an old pic, he was four then, he's six now and a little gray in the beard. Likes to catch birds in the backyard. His daddy was a hunter; his momma was a "large *****", breeder's term, not mine

Eternally locked in puppy phase. Loves people, especially kids. Can swim.

Here's him and his buddy at Lake O (in that top lake pic)

crappy phone pic
Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 AM

I do regret I never got him hunting. I'm not a bird hunter (I do nonflying game), so we do feel a little guilty we didn't get him doing that. He's got incredible instinct.

He caught a mocking bird in the back yard. He's got a wide range. He caught this too:

Which led to this:
Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wyododge
And just for good measure, water ain't cold till you can walk on it.

But that's kinda splitting chaikwa's...
Nice touch Buford.

Chester? He's a hoot. Loves snow and long walks on the beach. It's an old pic, he was four then, he's six now and a little gray in the beard. Likes to catch birds in the backyard. His daddy was a hunter; his momma was a "large *****", breeder's term, not mine

Eternally locked in puppy phase. Loves people, especially kids. Can swim.
Chester is gorgeous! There's nothing like a Lab, best dog in the world as far as I'm concerned, altho I like 'em all. Our Jake just turned 4 on January 26th. HATES the water, will retrieve if he HAS to, (I swear he rolls his eyes when I ask him to 'go get it'), and is rather finicky about what he eats. NOT a typical Lab!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 AM

Thumbs up

Nice touch Buford.

Chester is gorgeous! There's nothing like a Lab, best dog in the world as far as I'm concerned, altho I like 'em all. Our Jake just turned 4 on January 26th. HATES the water, will retrieve if he HAS to, (I swear he rolls his eyes when I ask him to 'go get it'), and is rather finicky about what he eats. NOT a typical Lab!
Thank you

Aww Jake! Yeah, the finicky eater is not a typical Lab.

I love this dog though. We have asked so much of him in our travels and he doesn't complain. He just does it. Man, he's a great dog.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Thank you

Aww Jake! Yeah, the finicky eater is not a typical Lab.

I love this dog though. We have asked so much of him in our travels and he doesn't complain. He just does it. Man, he's a great dog.
We travel a lot too and Jake is the star of the show. LINK He never complains about what we ask him to do either, I think it's just the nature of the Lab.

My first was a duck dog. Almost 20 years ago now and I still miss him.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:41 AM

We travel a lot too and Jake is the star of the show. LINK He never complains about what we ask him to do either, I think it's just the nature of the Lab.

My first was a duck dog. Almost 20 years ago now and I still miss him.
Wow, impressive pup! And he's got a job How'd you get him started for service? That was smart though. They are very quick learners and sooooo trainable. Heck they're almost too smart. I swear Chester has figured out how to work us.

Winchester (his full first name when he's in trouble) wen through his obedience class and graduated. We're pretty proud that lol We got him started right after we brought him home. Training was really more for us than him and it's an investment I'm glad we made.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Wow, impressive pup! And he's got a job How'd you get him started for service? That was smart though. They are very quick learners and sooooo trainable. Heck they're almost too smart. I swear Chester has figured out how to work us.
Make no mistake about it, Jake has figured out how to work us too!

Actually Heidi, (member justwannabeme), found Jake and pointed me in the right direction to get him to service dog status. Not hard at all, it's just knowing what's expected and training to the expectation. Jake goes EVERYWHERE with us. His first day with us at 10 weeks old involved a CPR class in a rather upscale restaurant. Heidi was there to show me the ropes, stayed with us for about a week and after that everything just kinda fell into place. It helped that Jake is well suited to what he does too!

I'd say we have successfully derailed this thread!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Chaikwa's got a new best friend.. sniff sniff
Old 02-11-2011, 10:50 AM

Make no mistake about it, Jake has figured out how to work us too!

Actually Heidi, (member justwannabeme), found Jake and pointed me in the right direction to get him to service dog status. Not hard at all, it's just knowing what's expected and training to the expectation. Jake goes EVERYWHERE with us. His first day with us at 10 weeks old involved a CPR class in a rather upscale restaurant. Heidi was there to show me the ropes, stayed with us for about a week and after that everything just kinda fell into place. It helped that Jake is well suited to what he does too!

I'd say we have successfully derailed this thread!
Oh yeah, 10wks. That's just when their little sausage legs start to grow. Puppy time was so stressful being on all the time, leading them and training them for consistency. But they are so cute then too. You can teach a new task every week so long as you're solidifying with training every day. It's really neat to see the results. I bet Jake blew your socks off in his training.

I've seen Heidi on here now and again

Yeah, we totally derailed the thread. But it was a pleasant derailment. Not filled with explosions and chemical leaks.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Chaikwa's got a new best friend.. sniff sniff
Everyone is MY friend!

Oh yeah, 10wks. That's just when their little sausage legs start to grow. Puppy time was so stressful being on all the time, leading them and training them for consistency. But they are so cute then too.
I really want to get to a point in my life where I can always have at least one puppy in training. That's a long time off tho.

Yeah, we totally derailed the thread. But it was a pleasant derailment. Not filled with explosions and chemical leaks.
Well, explosions are cool in the right venue.

Cincy is getting jealous... you gotta keep your eye on him, he bites!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:56 AM

Everyone is MY friend!

I really want to get to a point in my life where I can always have at least one puppy in training. That's a long time off tho.

Well, explosions are cool in the right venue.

Cincy is getting jealous... you gotta keep your eye on him, he bites!

Lol NO! Cincy. Go to your rug.

Does Jake's feet smell like Fritos?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Lol NO! Cincy. Go to your rug.
LOL! Another one that knows how to handle him! You're doomed Eric!

Quick Reply: How do ya'll Yankees do it