Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How do I get a refund?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm one of those farm kids that got sent to town by myself at 10. Blocks bolted to the pedals and pillows on the seat.

My kids got taught to drive in an old IH pickup, no power anything, straight shift and double clutch when they were 10 or 11. Backing a trailer is still beyond the daughter, she thinks too much and gets confused. She went and married a city kid, so no more trailer worries for me. It's all on him now .

Get your girl in the big lot with some of those barrels. Block the rear window so she can't see anything, and make her use the mirrors.

Good luck.

Ed
Old 04-30-2006, 09:33 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think im ready to risk my truck to her changing oil or playing with fire... she is a true blonde and makes most blondes look level headed...
Old 05-01-2006, 12:25 AM

I just took drivers ed back in October,up her you need it if you under 18 to get a permit. I got the highest score in the class and the whole driving thing was basically a way for me to waste the gas in the drivers ed car and get to know the town(I moved up only 3months before). The first day I went driving when we got back he shook my hand and said good job,he said everything I did right, most other kids were still going to be working on where the shifter goes and starting and stopping. I grew up on a fruit farm so I have been driving a full range of vehicals since I was probably 6 or 7. The only thing I got to remember when I take the test in a couple weeks is to use my back window to back up,I am so use to using my mirrors. Once I get my driving license I am applying right away for my MC license,just have to find a place up here that does it.

Jeff
Old 05-01-2006, 01:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm another farm boy that took Drivers Ed. the semester AFTER I got my license just for the insurance break. One of the gals in the class was a true blond and couldn't comprehend the relationship between the steering wheel and the front wheels. I ended up taking her out to the farm and putting her on a tractor in a pasture so that she could see that the tires turned to the left when she turned the steering wheel counterclockwise, etc. She finally got it but it took a while. You just have to remember that not everyone learns the same way or at the same pace.

You want fun, practice backing a 4-wheel hay wagon. For real fun, try backing two of them hooked in tandem. Never did master that one completely.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:01 AM

There are two things I cant do while behind the wheel. one is back a four wheel tounge wagon (for those who dont know, picture a big version of the "little red wagon") and the other thing is I cant drive a slolom in reverse with a trailer.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Banned

I remember driver's ed and they didn't teach us how to back up at all and my first accident just happened to be backing up (dang over the rail tool boxes). I had no problem driving though. I passed everything with flying colors. The teacher actually told me that I couldn't answer anymore questions because it made everyone else look dumb.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I remember driver's ed and they didn't teach us how to back up at all and my first accident just happened to be backing up (dang over the rail tool boxes). I had no problem driving though. I passed everything with flying colors. The teacher actually told me that I couldn't answer anymore questions because it made everyone else look dumb.
I can relate to the not aloud to answer any more questions. One time he wanted use to answer on how to change a tire on the side of the road,he wanted us to explain it from the point that it blew till the point that we pull back onto the road.(He was doing it like if one person got stumped you would move to the next person). Well he made the mistake of calling on my first,So I started to explain it I explained it from the time the tire blew out to the time pulling back onto the road(also explained it very detailed). After I got done explaining,He shook his head and was like I should of never called on you I knew no one else would get a chance,I was not aloud to answer anymore questions that day. Another class we each were assigned different parts of the car to explain, I picked the engine. So I started to explain it and once I got done, Every one had the look on there face like " What did he just explain". So the teacher had to dumb it down so every one else could understand it..

The first day he ask had asked us who could drive a standerd, I raised my hand and a few girls. The he asked who could pull out, we raised are hands again,then he asked who can shift once you get going, I raised my hand along with another girl. Then the last question was who can pull out on a hill smoothly with out stalling or squeeling your tires, I was the only one that raised my hand, He point to me and siad " Now he knows how to drive a standard,If you can't do all them then you can't drive one".

Jeff
Old 05-01-2006, 02:29 PM
JKM

a one day course!? no wonder she can't drive! mine was about 20-25 hours of in class training , then 10 full hours of in car training! and it was 450$. You also had to wait 4 months between getting your beginners permit and getting an actual drivers licence.

On a side note , i just got my class 1 (CDL for all you guys) , i did hourly training for that (although training was not required). In total i did 8 hours worth of driving , and passed my road test with a 53' reefer , first try. They trained 2 of us in the truck at a time , and i had NEVER driven a class 8 before, the first guy drove for 2 hours, then he did a hill park on a free way on ramp ( i had never driven a class 8 before) , and the instructor announced "switch drivers" (i had never driven a class 8 before) and i asked him if he was sure. I sat down , released the brakes , and started rowing gears , and i never missed a single one.

I'd definetly say your daughter just needs more practise.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JKM
a one day course!? no wonder she can't drive! mine was about 20-25 hours of in class training , then 10 full hours of in car training! and it was 450$. You also had to wait 4 months between getting your beginners permit and getting an actual drivers licence.
I agree, the reason she can't back up is because the length of the course. Just like you can't cram algebra in someone's head and have them master it in one day, you can't do that with driving either.

The course I was in was 3 or 4 hours a night for two weeks. I then had 10 hours of driving. Just about everyone that came out of there could drive well.

I'm with Geico, you should be able to back a trailer when you are done training. I'd take it one step farther and say you have to be able to parallel park a trailer

My girlfriend is the same way as your daughter. She doesn't have any trouble going forward, but she has backed into 4 things (that I know of). Of those were a fence (twice), a 27foot boat on the trailer, and a parked car. When I try to help, she gets frustrated, so I know your pain.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:28 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
There are two things I cant do while behind the wheel. one is back a four wheel tounge wagon (for those who dont know, picture a big version of the "little red wagon") and the other thing is I cant drive a slolom in reverse with a trailer.
Send her down here. If she can drive this in reverse.....
.....then she can drive anything. I've had to teach many people on this job how to drive this truck and if some of these people can learn, I promise you she can too (even reverse slalom). All it is, is a matter of confidence. Once she has that, she will be fine.

Geico, I like your rules. You've given me a couple of ideas for my daughter

Britt

Old 05-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Banned

My course was a couple of weeks long and last 3 hours a night for 4 days a week and then after we passed the written part we had to go and do 10 hours of driving and pass that and once that was passed you could finally go and take the DMV test.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:05 PM

Im not sure how many people was in her class, but the morning 1/2 was class, the afternoon, everyone took a turn driving. apparently around the block.

T-15, that looks easiy enough to reverse. assuming you have someone in the back steering it correctly.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:03 PM

My class was 30 hours than 10 hours in the car with the instructor. We wached movies for 29 in class hours than took the test for the other hour. They only teach you the basics. Nothing like backing a trailer, or backing up with any speed or turning. To pass the licens test you must be able to back up stright 50 feet. They put me with a ditch on one side of me. told me not to go in the ditch or out into the road.

Maybe the state should require a longer class for new drivers.

Coop
Old 05-01-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
I dont expect much out of her driving, I just think she needs to be able to put a vehicle exactly where she wants it either forward, backwards, or sideways if needed.
go buy her a cheap rc car and set up parking lot in kitchen floor and let her burn up some batteries. she will see how car reacts from above car and may help her get better view of what car is doing
Old 05-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Registered

humm... send her to iker or someone of the like and im sure he could teach her how to drive. im sure they could find the time

Quick Reply: How do I get a refund?