Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How did they do that?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did they do that?

Ok, maybe my subject line was a little sensational, but I found out how the thief broke into my truck.

The detective assigned to the case said that they took a screwdriver and punched it up under the drivers side handle, causing the door to unlock. Upon further inspection, there is a chip in the paint and scratches on the door handle itself that I missed in my initial walkaround.

Does anyone know how this worked? I wish Chrysler would spend some R&D money on theft-proofing it's vehicles. For those that didn't read my thread of a couple weeks ago. My locked truck was stolen out of the office parking lot. Obviously, it took 2 tools and 60 seconds to make off with a 5 month old 2004.5 CTD.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
They have spent money on theft proofing their vehicles, it's called the sentury key.
As it is sometimes called around here "the grey key" basically there is a chip in the key and a sensor on the column if the sensor doesn't detect the chip the truck will start for a second then stop running, you get 6 tries at it before it shuts down for good (until the properly coded grey key is used.)
edited to add: it is now standard on all trucks in Canada, it must still be optional in the US
Old 08-23-2004, 12:25 PM

I agree with westcoaster, getting IN the truck is easy. Just break a window and you're in. The theft deterent needs to be in the form of a "chipped" key. But then you hear people complain about having to buy a $100 key when they lose theirs. To me, I'll take the responsibility of the expensive key and feel good about the extra security.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:32 PM

Ford & Chevy have these "chip" keys... why doesn't Dodge?
Old 08-23-2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by BiggRigg600
Ford & Chevy have these "chip" keys... why doesn't Dodge?
They do, but it's an OPTION.
You have to pay a little extra for it.
It's cheaper to install a hidden fuel cutoff switch.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Chapter President

As the others have said gettin into a vehicle is EZ the chip built into the key is fairly new ideal and someone will come up with a way to by pass that too I'm sure

Even items like the Club are EZ to remove by hacksawing the steering wheel

One item that seems to work are the wheel locks....because they are outside of the vehicle in the open most thefts don't mess with them or brake peddle steering wheel lock combinations that make the brake peddle inopertive

If a thief wants your vehicle bad enuff they are hard to stop.....I knew a thief that only stoled new Harley Davidson's, he would watch bikers bars and knew that he had 10 mins from the time the rider walked into the bar and ordered a drink before the rider would think about rechecking his bike....by then he was gone
Old 08-23-2004, 04:20 PM

All my alarms I have installed are theft proof. Open a door alarm goes off and kills power to truck. Try to remove alarm brain truck will not start. So as long as the alarm is going off the truck will not start.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the update CaughtinmyGrill. Not a master key then.
You said in the other post, the ignition lock was popped I think? Wouldn't that defeat the key diode chip anyway? Minus the ignition switch cylinder can't a screwdriver be used to start the truck? Just curious.
New Buick Park Avenues no longer require keys with a diode, the device is in the key fob transmitter. New Caddy's have push button start, the key fob stays in your pocket (or pocketbook) works fine as long as the fob is three feet from the in-dash receiver.
Nat
Old 08-23-2004, 10:52 PM

Move to Idaho... We just leave the windows down and the keys are in the ignition and the engine running.

This is common practice around here... But not for me! I grew up in California!

Sorry about the truck... But no matter what you use for a thief device there will be someone to figure it out...

I still like the hidden kill switch under the dash... Or the fuel valve under the seat...
Old 08-25-2004, 01:02 AM

You could also rig a toggle switch under your seat that splits one of the wires from your solenoid. Nothin would start then!