Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How to deal with very difficult childish coworker

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I could give very good advice to you.

I'm usually the obnoxious one.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Begle1
I'm usually the obnoxious one.
Ha ha, I've got you beat. I've been told I am "rude, crude, obnoxious, and socially unacceptable" all in the same sentence. I told the girl the only thing I could think of at the time, "THANK YOU".

There's the old bluing inside the hard hat band thing, the old zip grip the tool box lock shut thing, the old packing pick hole in the Coke can thing, and, er ah, well you get the picture. (and it goes down hill rapidly from there)

Moral of the story is, "Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin".
If ya start soemthing, be ready to get it back twice as bad.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4
I've been told I am "rude, crude, obnoxious, and socially unacceptable" all in the same sentence.
Hmmm, that particular combination of words is quite familiar to me.....have you been talking to my boss, mom, relatives, coworkers, friends, or acquaintenances??
Old 04-09-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Timberman
Wear your steel toes. That guy needs a good old fashioned stompin'. Only thing that will make him leave you alone is fear of physical violence.
ha ha, yeah, i agree. we have problems like that all the time in the military. all we do is take off our rank insignia, walk to the tree line, and take care of it out there, problem solved.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Hmmm, that particular combination of words is quite familiar to me.....have you been talking to my boss, mom, relatives, coworkers, friends, or acquaintenances??
Yeah, and your mom says, er ha, nevermind.
Nah, just some prim and proper lady that use to work here. Notice I said "USE" to work here!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:58 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
ha ha, yeah, i agree. we have problems like that all the time in the military. all we do is take off our rank insignia, walk to the tree line, and take care of it out there, problem solved.
For once this old squid can agree with the jarhead.

Shortround out
Old 04-10-2006, 03:36 PM

In the Army we were incouraged to drag guys like that in the shower. When you're done smacking some sense into them the water washes all of the mess down the drain and it makes it harder to hear the lamentations because of the thick tile and mumbled echos.

"Conan, what is the meaning of life?" "Crush all enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women."

Conan the Barbarian.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Three months is not a long time. Things will get better in another few months.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:56 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
PM me and I'll send y'all the latest version of Field Manual 21-101 (I think that's the right number) on "Wall to Wall Counseling". As long as you go by that, you're covered cause you can tell the Gunny/Chief/MSgt/PSG that it was a training session.

Shortround out
Old 04-15-2006, 09:28 PM

I printed that one out when you sent it to me ... one of the "young uns" that was sent to come visit the Command Master-At-Arms for screwin up strolled into my office picked it up and briefed thru it. ... didn't stick around too long for some reason . Funny stuff !!

THEYDON'TCALLMEPISTOLWHIPTFORNUTHINPISTOL
Old 04-16-2006, 07:15 PM

Well I have been taking some advice, and stepping back for a while, not letting things bother me, and just doing my own work. If he cranks on my machine, i just watch and chuckle. Things were atleast getting easier....that is until Saturday. Started off as a normal Sat. until the time when we got ready for Monday's run. He was prepping a roll(1 man job) so I thought Id shaft one. We were done about the same time, so I went to help him finish prep. I walked down and reached for the web as normal, and he dropped it on the floor, walked all over it, walked around me and left...so I grabbed the web, and started fishing it through myself(still didnt mind at this point), he came back, flew around the machine and was da*n close to starting the press, while my hand was in the rollers(they dont give). At this time I dropped the web, and refused to help him the rest of the shift-I just did other work-it was also just us 2 there.

Afterwards he told me I should have helped, and I told him-without yelling, that since he had a big problem with me, and couldnt wait for me to become clear of the press-that he can do it himself, otherwise I would have helped.

At the end of the shift(5 min later), he mumbled some things along with an I apologize, which I could care less to hear.

I will be going in tomorrow and having a 1 on 1 talk with him, and him only. I plan to lay it flat on the line, if he is gonna keep up with the BS, and subject me to possible harm, its gonna progress to management/union level.

As I mentioned the "new guy" pranks I understand, and Ive been there and done that too, on both ends. But I think its crossed the line now.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:27 AM

"It's all fun and games until someone gets their eye put out" ....or in your case, a hand squished !!

I concur .... good path to go. Keep good notes of what has happened and what you have done to resolve it. Might come in handy at a later date.

PISTOL
Old 04-17-2006, 09:56 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by csramsey640

I will be going in tomorrow and having a 1 on 1 talk with him, and him only. I plan to lay it flat on the line, if he is gonna keep up with the BS, and subject me to possible harm, its gonna progress to management/union level.

one on one talk, -good
lay it out, crossed the line, -good

tell union/management, -undecided to not so good...

I don't think it would put you in a very good position (with the co-worker) to "hide behind union/management's skirt"
That is not a threat considering they don't/won't do anything about the guy now.

Edit: I am not suggesting you shouldn't go to union/management, I am only suggesting you shouldn't use it as a threat as in my eyes it doesn't shine a very good light on you.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:31 AM

IMHO your steward isn't much of one. When I am a steward on a job I have no hesitation to plumb up a brother. If a guy is a screw up I defend the heck out of him to the management but as soon as they are gone his butt is mine. You have to police your own membership otherwise the bad apples spoil the barrel. One thing you have to be careful of here is not to hold a grudge. Don't trust the guy, but don't hold a grudge either. If the guy apologizes then give him a way to back down gracefully. This will prevent him feeling like he has to save face to the new guy. Watch him closely, don't give him the chance to hurt you.
Do what you can to difuse the situation. You don't want a full on war if you can possibly avoid it.