Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

how to cure algae issues in your pond

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007 | 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to cure algae issues in your pond

I have 50' by 50' pond and am being over run with algae. What is the best way to get rid of this stuff or at least control it. Is there a good solution that you can mix in with the pond water? My fountain broke, hence no water movement which = a crap load of growth.

If anyone has a pond and knows of an effective way to deal with this, let me know.

Thanks

Tom
Old 05-19-2007 | 04:16 PM
DTR Mom

Wink I even know where cannonsburg is!

alum- at the farm supply places - makes the dirt in the water clump together, get heavy and sink, balancing the ph and bottom alkaline at the bottom of the pond. rids algae that way BUT try the 20 dollar solar powered
(fan blade) circulator. you have to have something to create the balance.

i have koi in a three quarter acre pond by 16 feet deep. no algae this way,
thanks to the koi too.... hope that helps.

movement or high alkaline plants at edges for simple control.

try to look for an old pool filter if you have electric nearby...
Old 05-19-2007 | 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Algea eating fish like Koi is the way to take care of it.
Of course they're making alky from algae too.
Old 05-19-2007 | 08:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my dad is in a "fish pond club" and those folks all have advise & free Koi for each other,

no idea how you would find one in your area though, maybe ask at pet fish stores?

most folks with small ponds over breed, and keep just the pretty koi
Old 05-20-2007 | 12:58 AM

add a good bunch of barley straw and it will clear it right up and won't hurt the fish.
Old 05-20-2007 | 01:53 AM

when ours was overrun when my parents had their place we always used copper sulfate. we had a little strainer setup where you would introduce water from a garden hose into one end of a special holding tank that contained the crystals. then we just shout it out of a nozel out across the pond. did it ever month or so and it killed the stuff dead.
Old 05-20-2007 | 09:24 AM

our irrigation distric used copper sulfate in the past and it would kill all the critters in the water.
Old 05-20-2007 | 09:53 AM

will the copper sulfate harm the fish
Old 05-20-2007 | 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by CASMOKIN
I have 50' by 50' pond and am being over run with algae. What is the best way to get rid of this stuff or at least control it. Is there a good solution that you can mix in with the pond water? My fountain broke, hence no water movement which = a crap load of growth.

If anyone has a pond and knows of an effective way to deal with this, let me know.

Thanks

Tom

Check this out, Scott is an old friend of mine:

http://www.proskim.com/
Old 05-20-2007 | 03:25 PM
Banned

hey guys thanks for all the feedback. I should also mention, I am trying to do this as inexpensive as possible. I have a fountain that circulates the water well, but has been down for about a month. Come to find out some critters chewed through the electical and caused it to short out. i spent the better part of the day working on it and got it fixed. I spent the last two hours with a rake pulling the crap out of the pond. I made some headway... I am however not ready to put the fountain back in the water, for i fear it may end up getting clogged. ($1600 fountain, not ready to replace it. ) I just need to find some chemicals that I can put in to take care of the rest. Fish friendly too, as I have large mouth bass and catfish swimming around. Ill check out some of the things mentioned. Keep the advise coming. Thanks again.

Tom
Old 05-20-2007 | 04:26 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

go to your local electrical supply and pick up some flexable metal conduit to take care of the varmint problem.
Old 05-20-2007 | 09:50 PM

it never did a thing to our fish. we had catfish and bass as well as some crappie and we never once had any die on us. given we didnt completley load the water with the stuff. we didnt just let it run all the time, like maybe a 15 min spray every month or so.
Old 05-20-2007 | 10:46 PM

i used to see the frogs and small fish jumping out of the ditch water and onto the ground. i don't know about catfish . good friend has a 3 acre pond just down the road from me an i have supplied him with barley straw for five years and we put 25 bales in and the algea and trash have been way better.
Old 05-21-2007 | 08:25 AM

Copper sulfate does not hurt the fish. What kills them is the copper sulfate kills the alge and it uses up oxygen when it decomposes and that suffocates the fish. If you have a bad problem you should only treat part of the pond at a time and keep the fountain running to keep oxygen level up. If you do not let it get to bad you can treat the hole pond and not harm the fish. I put about 5 pounds of copper sulfate in a burlap bag and tow it around the pond with a boat untill it all desolves. That is for a 1 acre pond.
Old 05-21-2007 | 08:28 AM

in oregon from what i understand we can no longer use copper sulfate in any body of water that drains to a creek or stream.

Quick Reply: how to cure algae issues in your pond