Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How to clean Mechanix® gloves

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try #2 diesel cleans most everything
Old 11-30-2005, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
The gloves keep my hands from being burnt, cut, scratched , nicked, impacted. Its kinda hard to unthread the drain plug when it and the oil its holding in is still ~165°, Not the most pleasant thing for my hands. I not a being a wimp here, but I would rather not put up with burning my hands. I will try out the degreaser and Dawn®.
But getting your hands burnt, cut, scratched, nicked, and impacted is part of being a man. I actually prefer to change my oil when it's hot. Makes it come out a lot quicker. My fingers have been burnt, cut, and smashed so many times (did that tonight as a matter of fact ) that I don't feel it much anymore. Oh well.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:39 PM

I use the mechanix glove also , but around oil like a drain plug , I put on a extra large latex glove over the mechanix glove and keep the oil out , works great.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnCA58
I use the mechanix glove also , but around oil like a drain plug , I put on a extra large latex glove over the mechanix glove and keep the oil out , works great.
That is a great idea. I'll remember that one.

Originally Posted by BigBlue
But getting your hands burnt, cut, scratched, nicked, and impacted is part of being a man. I actually prefer to change my oil when it's hot. Makes it come out a lot quicker. My fingers have been burnt, cut, and smashed so many times (did that tonight as a matter of fact ) that I don't feel it much anymore. Oh well.
Believe me, I've had my fair share of injuries while working on vehicles (one of which required stitches). However, after buying a pair and using them, I have to say I like them. Plus its made changing a bad thermostat on a Ford 300 I6 that was at operating temperature (actually it was over the normal temperature, thermostat had stuck shut) way easier as I didn't burn myselfon the hot engine or the very hot coolant.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
My fingers have been burnt, cut, and smashed so many times (did that tonight as a matter of fact ) that I don't feel it much anymore. Oh well.
Your gonna wish you didnt say that in thirty years........kids

Many people (including me) couldnt pay their bills if they didnt have full use of their hands. I only have the one set.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:24 AM

I tried finding DAWN at Wal-Mart to de-grease my gloves, but all I could find was Cindy. She slapped me when I asked her if she would come home and de-grease me.

~Rob
Old 12-01-2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by hotdram
I tried finding DAWN at Wal-Mart to de-grease my gloves, but all I could find was Cindy. She slapped me when I asked her if she would come home and de-grease me.

~Rob

Don't you hate it when that happens? LOL
Old 12-01-2005, 08:03 AM

Use the old GOJO. The stuff that has no pumice in it. That orange GOJO leaves your hands smelling pretty good, but it does not compare to the old stuff. I remember it from my dads machine shop when I was a kid. That stuff will take grease off anything. Even a kid that played on top of an engine that had been removed from a truck. HEHE, I was covered from head to toe with thick gooey grease. I believe it has a little diesel in it also. Smell it next time you have some available.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by HappyGA
Use the old GOJO. The stuff that has no pumice in it. That orange GOJO leaves your hands smelling pretty good, but it does not compare to the old stuff. I remember it from my dads machine shop when I was a kid. That stuff will take grease off anything. Even a kid that played on top of an engine that had been removed from a truck. HEHE, I was covered from head to toe with thick gooey grease. I believe it has a little diesel in it also. Smell it next time you have some available.
oooh! i love the smell of fast orange! but u could also try tuff stuff. autozone carries it but it might be cheaper at wal-mart
Old 12-01-2005, 08:41 AM

Graingers has a dry floor oil absorbent that we buy at work for oil spills. The guys say rubbing some into their gloves leaves them looking like new.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Your gonna wish you didnt say that in thirty years........kids

Many people (including me) couldnt pay their bills if they didnt have full use of their hands. I only have the one set.
Your probably right Doc.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I throw mine in the washing machine.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:00 PM

I hate using gloves while working on something. I tried Mechanix once and I wore 'em out before they could get dirty. I'm with BB, just use your hands.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
SO many comedians ands so little time. I work in a safety culture that requires the use of work gloves to do just about anything. I have since gotten used to the idea that work gloves are a very good thing. I also used to buy the expensive mechanx gloves but have found that Walmart sells a similar glove in the men's clothing section for less than ten dollars. They are the same glove less the writing. I wash mine with my dirty work clothes and let them drip dry. They will last thru about a dozen washings.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HappyGA
Use the old GOJO. The stuff that has no pumice in it. . . . Smell it next time you have some available.
I have a tub of it in the garage, so old that it isn't creamy anymore,
more like the consistency of Powerservice, and smells like it as well.
Has to be circa 1985 or so.

It gets anything and everything off the hands, arms and elbows.
Have to wash with regular soap 2-3 times to get rid of the smell.

phox