Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: how big is your TV?
31 and below
23.96%
32 and up
15.97%
40 and up
23.00%
50 and up
37.06%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

how big is your TV? why? does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 12 year old 27" Sanyo, I bought it from a neighbor moving to FL who couldn't fit it into his car.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You would think with my wife working for Panasonic we would have a HUGE TV! haha.... I hear they make a good plasma....but my 27" CRT Sony Trinitron will not DIE! I might need to move that humidifier just a tad closer.......Im with Lary...cant justify a buy to replace something that is working just fine IMO. AND no….I can’t get any discounts on that new 110” Plasma…..I’ve checked already!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 AM

I got bit by the HD bug.... 21" Sceptre 1080P (amazingly clean image and doubles as desktop computer monitor), 32" Olevia (most frequently used and decent quality picture), 12' HD front projection driven by Infocus DLP projector (perfect for making yourself feel like you have front row seats to the football game you are watching).

Now I see where all my bombing money went...
Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 AM

We ve had a 32 Sony for a couple of years and love it.
Getting ATT Fios and dumping Dish was the best move we have done.
Watching shows in HD is great.
Especially the local news. HD shows every little wrinkle on the people.
Next is a surround sound system.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:02 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by HOHN
Honestly, I think it's sort of wasteful to upgrade to HDTV yet. First, the Plasma, DLP, and LCD technology is not "mature" yet, imo. There's still a lot of progress to be made, and in 2-3 years when OLED displays are commonplace, everyone will be kicking themselves for wasting money on far-inferior sets that have poorer image quality and higher energy consumption.
The only problem that I see with that logic is this: There will always be something on the horizon that is better and will be the next greatest thing. While I agree that HDTV is still in it's infancy so to speak and the Televisions are progressing daily, I'm enjoying mine right now. If I were to wait for the OLED displays to come out then I would be waiting for a couple of years watching an inferior Television right now. Then once OLED came out there would be something coming out in the near future that would be better than that. It's like buying a computer. Once you buy one it will be obsolete within 6 months. But if you wait for the next greatest thing, you will be waiting a lifetime.

Trust me, right now, there is nothing better (to me) than sitting on the couch, on a Saturday or Sunday, drinking a beer, and watching the football game in HD. It doesn't get much better than this.

Mickey Mouse looks pretty good on a upconvert DVD also. Hey, I watch it with my daughter... there's nothing wrong with that!

Originally Posted by P.J
You kidding? I saw the pictures of that new house when he moved in. I don't want to hear the old "cost of living is lower" down there nonsense..........

Britt is rich.
Ha Ha!!!! Rich??? Far from it. I think it's all in your priorities. Everyone has something that they spend their money on. I don't hunt, fish, own a $40,000 bass boat, or have any ATV's. I spend my money on my house. P.J can tell the whole story of how hard it was for me to get into this house (thanks again for all your help by the way! I still owe you) and now I'm making the best of it. I have it set up just like I want it and honestly I very rarely leave on the two days that I have off from the Fire Dept. I just really enjoy hanging out around the house.

Britt

Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
55" Sony Wega LCD. My wife won a 5k gift card to Best Buy from a contest a work last year . No, not all the $$ went to the tv.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:26 AM

I have 10 TVs in my house, ranging from 15" to 65", 5 are HDTVs with programming from DirecTV. All Sonys also, don't buy any other cheap crap.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:29 AM

I have a 26 inch LCD Sony. It was the biggest thing that would fit in my entertainment center. Plus I don't care much for TV anyway. I'd rather be on a horse or out in the woods hunting something. And I've never been into the couch potatoe sports thing. I can't sit still that long and I prefer rodeo to any other sport out there.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

i have a 50" samsung hd. i was getting my tail kicked at video games on my old tv so i had to upgrade. its one of the best purchases i have ever made. it really is the gift that keeps on giving! i strongly recommend getting an lcd, plasma or dlp.

brett
Old 12-11-2007, 11:39 AM

I'm like HOHN. I'm rocking a 19" Sanyo that I bought from Walmart back when play station 1 first came out. I think it cost 250, and having a controller with glow in the dark buttons made it the creme of the crop. I've got a tivo connected to it that's usually recording 5-6 hours a day. Whatever it misses, I download and then play on my TV.

Then again, my truck payment is smaller than my payments for my other toys...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:47 AM

Yahoo had an article about TV power usage. The worst one was Sharp LCd that had an anual electric usage of 223.52. If you drop 6 grand on a TV does a couple hundred bucks a year to power it make a difference?

Heres the chart with powe usage.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6475_7-...3.html?tag=arw
Old 12-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CTD Guy76
Yahoo had an article about TV power usage. The worst one was Sharp LCd that had an anual electric usage of 223.52. If you drop 6 grand on a TV does a couple hundred bucks a year to power it make a difference?

Heres the chart with powe usage.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6475_7-...3.html?tag=arw
no wonder why america is getting so outta shape. if people are watching TV for 8 hrs a day 365 days a year its starting to make sense. thats an interesting chart too. i had no idea, but really...do youll watch tv that much?

brett
Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
13" in the kitchen
19" in both of the grandkids rooms
19" in our bedroom
19" upstairs in the den where nobody goes but me
and did have a 19" in the front room until I came home from work one day and Wifey was singing "Merry Christmas to us,,,, Merry Christmas to us,,,," and pointing to a 42" LCD HD in a box. Strange thing is,,,, she was the one that I would have thought would be the LAST person to buy what she did. I do watch more TV than I should (honey-dews get put on hold at times) ,,, but I do like it and it's the perfect size for our not-so-big front room. I wouldn't mind having it upstairs,,,, but I ain't carrying it up the spiral staircase to put it there, besides it wouldn't fit the entertainment center anyway.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:49 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
53" Panny HD (5yrs old) Hoping to relocate her soon to a game room and replace her with a new LCD, just a tad smaller maybe 47"? It's either that or the wife has to let me get a 37" LCD for the bedroom, I want to see just how hot Jenna really looks in HD.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:03 PM
REALLY old dog

Talking

GEESH ! I GUESS MY 2.5 IN DIAGONEL -RADIO SHACK -HAND HELD-IS -IS - WELL OUT CLASSED BUT I CAN SEE IT FROM ALMOST ANYWHERE IN THE HOUSE-BOUGH IT TO KEEP UP WITH SHOCK AND AW THE FIRST TIME WE WENT TO IRAQ & KEWEIGHT - STILL WORKS GOOD THOUGH,
CLAUDE-SITTING HERE ON THIS SAC-O-SEEDS

Quick Reply: how big is your TV? why? does it matter?