Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Honda rancher quad valve adj???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda rancher quad valve adj???

Surely someone out there has a 2003 Honda Rancher 350 4x4 that has adjusted the valves themselves. I have 2 that are due and no manual. Adjusting the valves is no problem, but how in haties do you get at them? Does ALL the body work have to come off and if so how do you get them plastic button deals undone to remove everything? looks like a special tool? Dealer wants $250 each for a service and Im a cheap **** and would rather do it myself.
Please help me before I get the sawsall fires up and have my way with them
Old 05-19-2005, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not familiar with the excact model, but typically the front rack if equipped and the tank, and front fenders come off. if its like most other honda's there should be a cover, either bolted, or a screw cap in front of the valves on top of the motor, front and rear, these need to come off, i have special valve adjusting tools to do the job, but if you wanna save the bucks, you will have to play with it and get it right with the wrench and feeler gage. remember to check the tolerance again after you tighten the lock nut, 99% chance it tightened up and the gap will be too small.

the 250 sounds high, real high, try and find someone who has an independant shop. full service with valve adjustment should take a few hours and still be under 200.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I just did my Foreman 500. The seat, plastic bodywork over the tank, and the tank had to come off, along with a little rubber and plastic heat shield.

Likely the body work on yours is held on by little black plastic pop pins, bolts, a and little hooks and slots on the edge of the body parts. The pop pins are designed to pull apart in the event you rub a tree or something, rather than tear the plastic. There are grooves that allow you to pull the center part out with a flat bladed screw driver, and then pull the whole pin out. Essentially the center part expands the end to hold the body pannel in place.

There is likely to be a plug somewhere on the engine by the flywheel that when pulled will allow you to see a T (at least on a foreman) when you turn the engine with the pull rope, which indicates you are at TDC.

It might be a good idea to order a Honda manual (1-800-292-5393) or get the Clymer manual...
Old 05-20-2005, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 5800 miles on my foreman 400 4x4 and have never touched the valves

Eric
Old 05-22-2005, 11:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Actually, I spent quite a while doing mine, only to find the valves did not need adjustment...

It's still good to check them on schedule I suppose, especially while under warranty.

Apache, did you get it done?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, we have 2 actually, and after tearing apart #1 I found theres nothing much that has to come apart to get at them. #2 was real easy.One quad was a touch tight and the other was a couple th loose. There both 03`s and are just getting their 20hr (ha,ha) breakin service.
If anyone interested PM me and I`ll give ya some quick details If you dont have a manual for them.