Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Homeschooling!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cbrahs
Thank you Soul! I appreciate the advice and will look into the site.

Andy- Does anything that comes out of your mouth at all positive? You must be a grumpy EDIT
Not grumpy at all.

I am positive that home schooling is not the best choice for many people but I am also positive that many public schools are not up to the standard they should be. I am also positive that anyone that says one or the other is the only choice is wrong. Take the one that works for you and go with it.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
well i invite you to come down here and research schools and then tell me. They are NOTHING like they are in Idaho. I would move back in a heartbeat if I could get my ex to move as well but I chose to come down here to be closer to my kids and be a part of their life and have no regrets when they get older and not have to hear "why were you not at my cheer leading competition", "why were you not at my baseball game" etc....

Schools down here are terrible so this is the only choice that I have and can afford as the private schools are out of my bugdet and I am positive myself and my children's mother as a team will be successful in teaching our kids in a Godly manner.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That sucks that you have so much trouble starting up home schooling. Up here the local school board runs a home schooling program. They give you a curriculum, have science experiment kits that can be signed out, group field trips for all the home schooled kids, a local office with regular hours staffed by teaching assistants to give you extra help if your child has trouble with a particular subject.

That being said my sister tried it in gr9 and it don't go well, pretty much quit school altogether after 6 months. She a real estate agent now so it worked out ok in the end. Just wasn't disciplined enough to sit down every day and work on her own and my parents both worked full time.

I also know of two other kids that were home schooled from day one. The girl turned out normal and successful, the boy on the other hand is pretty much socially inept, clams up in there are more than 3 people in the room and still lives with his mom(is in his late 20s).

Personally I think home schooling is ok for younger ages but I think they need to go thru high school. The subjects are more advanced and need someone to explain it to them as well I think it socially prepares them for going on to post secondary schooling.

For me 90% of the really stupid stuff happened in jr high(grades 6-9) by gr10 things started to mature a bit and weren't nearly so bad.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In Canada and more over Alberta, you sign up with a homeschooling board of your choice to fit your needs. From this board you get funding back at the end of the year for your school materials to a limit (not much) set by the government. So even a very low income family can have this choice.

The stories of great achievements and low social ability are no different for homeschooling or the public system. You could not prove that the same introvert student at home would have become the social butterfly at school, probably less so now that this could be a wound to prod on the playground.

Everyone is so hung up on the social aspect of homeschooling. I don't recall "social interaction" being a test subject on my diploma exams?? To put it simple, monkey see-monkey do.. If you are a social person, so will they, same the other way. I have my business at home, so there are some examples of communication without being a personal relationship.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of weeks ago my wife was on her home school blog and someone had posted a note and a link to the Health Care Bill. Apparently, there is a provision in the Health Care Bill that tasks state governments with the job of monitoring home schooling by making random inspections at home. These inspections, apparently, can be unannounced and possibly, what I would call invasive. Don't know much more, but I think that the biggest problem with the Health Care Reform Bill is that at nearly 2000 pages, who knows what is hiding in this giant Trojan horse!!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Badge with warrant only gets through the door. Otherwise HSLDA is on the phone..

Thanks for the update MDCS...
Old 11-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
Wyo - I will do my best to answer your questions but you know me from my posts, any time someone talks in absolutes it gets my attention.

I am positive that home schooling is not the best choice for many people but I am also positive that many public schools are not up to the standard they should be. I am also positive that anyone that says one or the other is the only choice is wrong. Take the one that works for you and go with it.
Hmmmmmmm. Absolute anyone?
Old 11-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wyododge
Hmmmmmmm. Absolute anyone?
Okay Wyo, you twist that like a liberal.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:27 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Okay Wyo, you twist that like a liberal.
You have taught me well...