Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Homeschooling!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Homeschooling!

Well after today, my ex notified the state that our son will no longer be a member of the public school system.

Here is the thread about the issue at the school https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...g-t257323.html

If any of you DTR members are homeschoolers out there. HELP with direction and suggestions, prayers!!

This is the program we are looking at http://www.pennywiselearning.com/ACE...Set-Paces.html

THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS
Old 11-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris, I have some friends that have graduated 1 daughter and have another almost finished with homeschool. I will get as much info as I can from them and pm it to you.
Good luck with it, you'll be in our prayers. Just be sure to keep a good social group for him so he doesn't become isolated. It'll all be good!!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Chapter President

we have found a group here in town that takes the kids on field trips etc. He is actually looking forward to it and so are we. I just feel blessed to have a good relationship with the ex. we put our differences aside and concentrate on the kids.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 PM

www.hslda.org This is the legal defense for homeschoolers. Sign up now, with you pulling him out of a public school you need to have someone on your side. There is an 800 # on that site to call to find out about support in your area, your rights, etc. There are also links to curriculum and just about everything else that you might need.

Some other curriculum you might consider:
A Beka
Rod and Staff
and there are many others. How old is your son? Feel free to PM if you'd like, we homeschool and would be happy to share experiences.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 PM

Thumbs up

I second the HSLDA suggestion. People will try to turn you in for everything. They are some of the best lawyers out there. They are partners in Patrick Henry College. My brother and myself are both homeschool graduates. I highly recommend homeschooling. My wife was also homeschooled and we plan on homeshcooling our 3month old little girl. PM me if you ever need some contacts #'s for homeschool moms. I know it can be overwhelming in the beginning. PS don't look into my post for grammatical error. I can actually be quite articulate despite the fact that I am homeschooled.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Chapter President

Thanks guys! maybe a single mom that is a homeschooler! LOL... No seriously

NO- I do appreciate all the help. My ex emailed me the following links earlier today.

http://www.ped.state.nm.us/HomeSchools/index.html

http://www.hslda.org/elert/archive/2...0331154501.asp

http://www.pennywiselearning.com/ACE...Set-Paces.html

http://www.schooloftomorrow.com/homeschool/Default.aspx

http://www.hslda.org/Default.asp?bhcp=1

http://www.cape-nm.org/

I have been looking on the HSLDA site and going to join asap. The next thing is to find an accredited Christian Program!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:59 PM

Acredited doesn't really matter. When you get ready to apply to college they won't even look at any homeschool material, the only thing that matters is your SAT scores. I really enjoyed Abeka for math when I was younger and then switched to saxon in Jr High due to it's excellent for college preparation. We used many different curriculums for other subjects till we found the one that we learned and gleaned the most from.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 PM

I am kind of the oddball out here it looks like, but I am not a fan of homeschooling. Yes there are tons of things that are screwed up with our school system in the US, but I feel like there is nothing that will help prepare your child for interactive engagement with others like public or even private schooling. They are faced with so much everyday that is different, and they learn how to take on the difference that we all have.

I also feel like the majority of us (parents) are not capable of teaching every subject thoroughly to our children. Rather than the parents trying to teach a kid something out of a book that they may or may not understand them self’s, or god forbid they are terrible at (like me and math), I feel that most teacher are comfortable teaching one or two subjects because they did well in those subjects them self’s. So have someone that excels in math, teach the math, and someone else that's great with history teaches that... so on and so forth.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Austin'sDodge
Acredited doesn't really matter. When you get ready to apply to college they won't even look at any homeschool material, the only thing that matters is your SAT scores. I really enjoyed Abeka for math when I was younger and then switched to saxon in Jr High due to it's excellent for college preparation. We used many different curriculums for other subjects till we found the one that we learned and gleaned the most from.
New Mexico does not recognize home schooling unless it is from an accredited course so I am forced to find one
Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
I am kind of the oddball out here it looks like, but I am not a fan of homeschooling. Yes there are tons of things that are screwed up with our school system in the US, but I feel like there is nothing that will help prepare your child for interactive engagement with others like public or even private schooling. They are faced with so much everyday that is different, and they learn how to take on the difference that we all have.

I also feel like the majority of us (parents) are not capable of teaching every subject thoroughly to our children. Rather than the parents trying to teach a kid something out of a book that they may or may not understand them self’s, or god forbid they are terrible at (like me and math), I feel that most teacher are comfortable teaching one or two subjects because they did well in those subjects them self’s. So have someone that excels in math, teach the math, and someone else that's great with history teaches that... so on and so forth.
I agree to a point, there are people out there that may not be suited to do the job. The good thing is that I just graduated from College and good at math and history. My ex is good at english and writing so we have it covered. I am just happy we get along great and are working together on this and raising our kids rather than fighting like most ex spouses do. We could be in the same room and NO ONE would know we were ex spouses. Best friends really. Just did not work when we were married and we did not have God in our lives at the time.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:13 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Hey Chris,

I am sure you guys will do fine. Prayers sent your way. I have no doubt you guys have what it takes to get the job done. Let us know how he is doing. You gonna take your daughter out also??? I know nothing about the idiosyncrasies homeschooling, but if there is anything I can do to help, you got all my info. DONT hesitate to use it.

Oh ya we have a cattle herding class coming up on the 2nd of December. It will include pasture gate operation, moving cattle in an orderly fashion, loading cattle into tub and squeeze chute, Counting and sorting cattle, tagging and identifying health problems or injuries, loading cattle into and out of trailers, and fixing any fencing which the cattle have damaged during the summer. The cost is free to recently enrolled home school students. Food will be provided but you are required to supply your own set of old boots and leather gloves!!!! There is even a complimentary river dunking following the course!!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:38 AM

This may or may not apply to your child. But i'd like to share it anyways.

I've read your other thread and understand where your coming from. Not from a parents point of view like your self but from my own educated experience. I went to HS in Sacramento, Ca. Enough said right there. I actually attended two different High Schools in the area. Not because I was kicked out of one or was made to make the move, but because I simply tried to actually get a half way decent education. As you could probably imagine the classes where WAY to big, to much gang activity and BS going on. Gang fights, race riots, drugs, ect.

By my Junior year I had enough of the "public education" crap and decided to with draw my self from there and pursue a different path. I got enrolled in a homeschooling/ school program called Options For Youth. I would actually go to this school/program twice a week for a couple hours to get assignments, ask questions/help, ect. I finished my final two years of school and with that program letting me work at my pace I was actually able to hold a full time job turning wrenches.

For me that was crucial. I got my diploma and I was learning a skill and keeping some money in my pocket at the same time. Some pretty darn valuable skills needed in a persons life if you ask me. But thats really all I wanted to share. I wish you and your family the best of luck.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris I am going to say that homeschooling is not a very good option unless it is well supervised and the kid is 100% on board with it. Who will be the primary instructor?

There must be other options such as Charter or Magnet schools in your area that focus more on academics. These also tend to weed the bad elements quickly so your son should not have as many negative influences.

There also must be a Church run school that meets your needs, now I am no fan of Church schools either but it would be better then homeschooling.

Homeschooling works for docile kids that accept 100% without question the requests or actions of the parents in every aspect of their lives. The problem starts when the kid rebels as there becomes an ever smaller set of options for discipline. Since your kid has already started down the path of rebellion (more or less the reason you are making this decision) you may find this to be a very painful experience. Right now you look forward to getting home from work or as a kid you looked forward to getting out of school, your kid will also have those desires but where dose he go when his job (aka school) is one and the same place as home?

Good luck man but I am glad I am not in your shoes and having to try this home school experiment on the fly.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:21 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm kinda with CamperAndy on this one. Here's why.

From you're other thread.....

Originally Posted by cbrahs
I am just glad my son has the sack to talk to us about things like this or we would have never known until it was too late.
Sounds like you and your ex are INVOLVED parents doing the right things. (not exactly easy when you are exes) Your son talked with you about what was going on. he wasn't afraid to talk with his parents and he knew you would listen. He knew something wasn't right and came to someone he trusted for guidance. (even if he wouldn't admit that or put it in those words)

Removing him from the public school setting after being in it for years may have a detrimental effect to him. The social interaction in the public schools is VERY important. Learning how to deal with different people,opinions, cultures, etc happens first hand. Not something easily learned (or taught for that matter) from a book in the home.

That's just my .02. You know what is best for you and your family. I'll say a prayer or 2 for you.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:59 AM

Not trying to stir anything up here, but why is it that when people see home and school in the same sentence, they automatically think that you lock your child up in your house and never let them leave to have interaction with anyone else?

My children are home schooled. They are probably more well adjusted than any kid that you can find in the public school system. Oh yeah, and they DO have interaction with the outside world. That's the great thing about home schooling, you aren't forced to work at the pace of the slowest kid in the class.

There are usually several families in an area that do home school, so normally you can find someone who:
1. has children the same age as your own
2. can handle those subjects that you might not be as strong at
3. is willing to let their "poorly adjusted" non "socially acclimated" children interact with yours. This is probably the easiest part of the conversation.

Additionally, right now, we can be done with the actual school part of the day in a couple of hours. That means that you can enrich the educational experience with activities that the child likes to do.

Remember the 1 field trip a year in public school? My kids get to do that almost every week.
Remember waiting for the kid who just doesn't get it before you get to move on in public school? Not here, you work at the pace of the child, and surprise, if there is only one there, you can figure out the best way that they learn
Remember all the crap that you got into as a child that you really shouldn't have, but no one was watching to tell you differently?

I will be the first to say that if you can't handle elementary school subjects yourself, it is probably not the thing for you to do, but if you can take a look at a quick refresher before starting, or learn on the fly, you'll be fine.

Most of the people who are against home schooling have a stereotype in their mind of what it is and can't/won't see past it. Who do YOU think is best equipped to teach YOUR CHILD what he/she needs in order to be a responsible/well adjusted adult? If you aren't thinking that you are . . .