Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Homemade Science projects

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Homemade Science projects

Ok the wife and I were talking the other morning and we remembered the "Mr. Wizard" (i really miss that show) We tried to remember some things but now I just have a piece of celery in a glass of colored water trying to get it to wick the water up the celery then you can see all the veins in the celery. I was thinking it would be cool for my daughter to take to school on show-n-tell day. I might either impress her class or keep them away from her. Seeing how I have read a couple of the "revenge" or "getting even" threads on here Some of you guys gotta have some cool little ideas for home projects to make someone really scratch their head. So any ideas? even some that are "safe" enough for a 1st grade class? -Bob
Old 12-01-2004, 07:49 AM

• Rubber Egg- Place an egg in a container filled with vinegar. The acid will eat away the calcium shell leaving the membrane around the egg intact
  • Magnetic Lines of Force- using different shaped magnets and iron filings, deposit filings on a piece of cardstock. When the lines of force are visible, anchor filings in place with spray adhesive.
  • Split Sunlight Into Spectrum-use a prism to break sunlight into the visible spectrum.
  • Sewing Needle Compasss-Magnetize a needle, push thru a cork, and place in a bowl of water.
  • Electro-Magnet- Wind a tight coil of wire around a nail, leaving both ends free to connect to a D cell. Lift iron filings.
  • Ice Cube and String Trick- Lift an ice cube from a glass of water with a string. Touch string to ice, shake salt on cube, wait a moment, lift ice from glass.
  • Potato Battery- Use a spud to generate enough voltage to light an LED. Lots of online instructions.

Can you tell I've been thru this before?

These are short show and tell demonstrations. If you wish to launch your daughter well into the "Nerd" category, I'd be happy to send you my plans for a Particle Accelerator project.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always liked the vinegar and baking soda volcanoes. You know the kind using a coke bottle surrounded with dried mud to look like a volcanic mountain. put the baking soda in the bottle and then using red food coloring in the vinegar, pour into the top of the mountain and watch the lava flow.
Related warning:
A sixth grade buddy of mine used a model rocket engine in his volcano and even put some pebbles and slimy red stuff in on top of the rocket engine to simulate a real "Mount Fuji Moment",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Blew two ceiling tiles out of the classroom, slimy red pebbles ricocheted all over the room and it smoked the place up so bad that we couldn't go back in the rest of the day! Ya should have seen the look on the teacher's face when she was expecting just another fizzing soda volcano! Believe it or not,,,,, after the excitement,,,,,, I think my buddy still got a pretty good grade.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:11 AM

We grew crystals in school. Something about putting sugar water (?) in a jar, putting a piece of string in the jar above the liquid and over time a crystal was formed on the string. There was more to it than this, but it has been a while, probably find something online about it.

~Rob
Old 12-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Banned

You heat the water up and super saturate it with sugar. Once you've done that, put a string in it and let it cool. After a couple of weeks, there will be crystals formed on the string. It's rock candy. We learned how to do that in chem lab monday. I'm a sophmore in college and I'm learning how to make candy. I want to blow something up.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:40 AM

I want to blow something up.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by BigBlue
I want to blow something up.
Uh, diesel fuel and fertilizer....

(just kidding)....
Old 12-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Banned

Been there done that. I want to use deadly, caustic chemicals. I'm a little morbid. What can I say.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:40 PM

Been there done that. I want to use deadly, caustic chemicals. I'm a little morbid. What can I say.
That must be quite the college......you should tansfer to fine arts and learn how to become a mime or play the piano - that way you wont be able to hurt yourself. Remember - a LITTLE knowledge is dangerous
Old 12-01-2004, 04:52 PM

Why do I get the mental image of BigBlue pouring the contents of an ACME bottle into a beaker, then shaking it up before reading the WARNING - DO NOT SHAKE CONTENTS label - ala Wiley Coyote

I will look for small mushroom clouds on the western horizon.......
Old 12-01-2004, 08:31 PM

Is anyone else wondering if Commatoze is available for children's partys?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Banned

Dr. Evil, now where's the fun in that?

redramnc, if I could I would. I'm the kid who would melt things with the bunsen burner when the teacher wasn't looking. One of my teachers taught me how to light my hand on fire without getting burned. Talk about cool.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:22 PM

One of my teachers taught me how to light my hand on fire without getting burned. Talk about cool.

explain this one... i wanna know!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:50 PM
Banned

It had to do with dawn soap and some other chemical (don't remember what). You make a sudsy mixture with it, dip your hand in it, and light the suds. The suds burn but it never touches your skin. It was really neat.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:05 PM

Big blue

Take caustic soda and mix with water add a little tin foil and wala you have almost pure hydrogen coming out of the mix. Now you can blow things up.

Quick Reply: Homemade Science projects