Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Homebuilt Boiler

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:48 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homebuilt Boiler

A buddy took these for me. I have some shots with more detail, but still need a usb that'll fit my Sony.

The stove is blanketed in insulation, with corrugated steel sheets riveted around it. This was gonna be temprary until I get the insulated shed finished. The insulation on the face was a temporary experiment, that I plan to finish a little more thoroughly. The backside is also insulated with steel riveted on to protect it. The outer tank is a 400 gal. electrical transformer tank. The lid on the tank was 3/8's plate, which was cut to make the door and firebox face and tank face from one piece. To do over again, I would have used heavier steel for the face of the firebox and door to help keep the heat in better. I may build it up later. The electrical components are mounted to the face temporarily. The two lights, there switches, and pump switch will be secured to the shed when it's done. I will leave the blower switches there for easy reach while opening the firebox door. One switch to cut the blower off at the aqua-stat and one to turn it on, over-riding the aqua-stat. Also a water pump switch on there. The pump on the left circulates the water to the house through 3/4" pex. I have a T on it with 1/2" pex going across the drive to my dog kennel. My left over pex was put in the ground with the hot water, to put a spicket out ther for easy watering and emergencies. Heading out now, I'll get to more tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good job! I've been thinking of trying to build a waste oil furnace, but
I just can't seem to find the time, maybe when I finish some of my other projects.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:21 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

does it actually boil water or just heat it?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good,

now all you need is the 1.21 Jigawatts and your all set.

Nice!
Old 02-22-2007, 07:23 AM

Fronty, it works the same as a commercial made outdoor wood stove. Just heats the water, non-pressureized. Just don't cover the fill hole so it wont build pressure. If I didn't plan on putting it in an insulated shed, I would hev boxed it on with a steel frame and insulated it heavily. I keep it about 160 deg., which is about where the house likes it for the furnace to cycle properly with the chincy heat exchanger I have. When I get a better heat exchanger, I'll drop it down a bit to get a longer burn out of the wood. In the right side of the picture, you can see part of the latch (red). It's a piece of leaf spring with a handle welded on, attached to a pivoting block that secures the door. Where the water is drawn from the tank, there is an aqua-stat tucked into the insulation. It measures the temp of the water off the surface of the pipe, and triggers the blower under the face of the door to vent the fire to get the temp up. The fire box is a 3 foot section of 30" dia. underground, pressureized gas line. The wall is 1/2" around the sides. I didn't need to build the backside. I found a stub piece. The round stub is 3/4" thick. These are good steel, they even x-ray the seams before they use them. Couldn't cut the chimney hole in the back with the plasma cutter, had to go real slow with a torch. A 9" pipe was welded to the back of the box horizontally running through the end of the tank. I bulit a box on the end of the pipe with a swing plate and a bottom that drops out for easy cleaning. Then, more 9" pipe for a stack. I had to add thin chimney pipe to clear the roof line. The roof was improvised from some donated trusses, so the original plan of a "shedroof" was changed. I later added a damper where the pip exits the tank.

I notched out the back side of the shed, to get away from needing a thimble for the roof and immediately around the chimney, it is just two layers of corrugated steel/flashing. No insulation or lumer close by. The rest of it is insulated and tyked. I have since put on verticle pine siding, trimmed the perlins even and put on waney pine facias around the roof. The cieling of the shed is insulated with plywood on the cieling of the vacant side. Steel will go on over the stove, like I did for the walls around the stove. The "attick" area is gonn be enclosed in the back and open in the front, and has plywood down as a floor. This will be a wood drying/storage area.I already have a window built in the far wall not pictured, and plan on one in the back wall. Then I'll have a nice warm area to sit and drink coffee and watch for critters that look tastey, maybe a little tv for Saturday morning outdoor shows.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:34 AM

Oh, yeah, the end of the house in the pictures was left void to add a room made from block to houe a wood add-on furnace. Instead, when the weather breaks, I'll make it with matching log siding and save it to store wood for the wood burner in the living room. Hopeing the DNR will let me build a polebuilding off the face of the boiler shed towards the house. It'll be getting close to the creek that runs through the other side.