Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Home oil heat, delivery charges, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home oil heat, delivery charges, etc.

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Western Mass where I notice a good majority of the houses are heated by oil.

I am guessing this is basically just diesel, in one form or another.... maybe dyed, and with more sulfur?

I don't know much about this. I wonder if anyone could shed some light and give me an example of how much you pay for heating oil per gallon (and how that compares to how much you pay for pump diesel?), how many gallons per month you might use in an average winter month (temperatures?) and maybe how big the house is??? Don't want to get too private or rude, but we have nothing to compare really. We are at the mercy of PSEG here.

Should the price of heating oil cost basically be the price of pump diesel minus state and federal taxes??

TIA.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:08 PM

If it means anything, I paid $1.95 gal. delivered on Saturday. I use only 200 gallons a year, but my hot water heater is electric and I supplement alot of my heat with a woodburning stove.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
diesel is about 60 cents more per gallon.

.255 $ per gallon federal

.20 - .40 $ per gallon state

I just got a fillup in my house, $1.82 per gallon.
I don't use much #2 oil because I burn wood.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Don't get automatic delivery, they will figure you're not paying attention and charge you ridiculous prices. Buy COD and shop around, you will find the price varies by as much as 60 cents a gallon. There is not typically a delivery charge, but you must buy a minimum amount of oil (usually 100-150 gallons).

I am getting my first fill of the winter tomorrow, with about 1/4 tank left in my 250 gallon tank. Best I could find was $1.99/gal, down from $2.09 two weeks ago. This year I don't think I'll need to refill again during heating season because it's been so mild. Figure on 3 tanks of oil for a winter, though.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm about the same as Wannadiesel, i help to offset the cost by using a pellet stove and the fireplace. Usally fill up in the summer and that last most of the winter. Also depends on how good the insulation is in the home.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I live in the western part of Mass. Home heating oil is anywhere from 1.95-2.25 per gal. I have a log cabin and heat it with a forced hot air oil furnace,
the house is 1 level and appx 1,400sf not including the basement. With the t-stat set at 70 deg all winter, for an avg. winter season I will use appx 350-400 gal. max. It is my only source of heat.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:19 PM

I heat with gas, and use a pellet stove, so I can't be of much help. If you want to move here, and plan on buying a house or condo, it's a buyers market.

Wait a couple of years and it will be even more of a buyers market, imo.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:06 AM

Sorry not down there, but I just got 200 gallons at $2.46. No delivery charge, same price at pump in town. I'm not a stock holder but I have asked other people in the lower 48 if they have ever heard of these. Toyo stoves, yes I have one and so does almost everyone here does. They are probably the most fuel efficient oil stove there is.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:11 AM

Thanks guys. A lot of these homes also have some sort of stove seen in the pictures - they may be pellet stoves? Here is an example

We're going to check out the insides of some homes within the next few weeks. The toyo stove looks neat even for my apartment here. I know I brought this up last year, we are paying about $150 to heat a < 1000 sqft apartment with natural gas. Waiting 2 years is about $30,000 of rent money to my landlord Guess I was worried that if the aparment is this much, a house is going to be 3x more. Hopefully with different types of heat it'll be reasonable and in control.

For the Mass guys we are looking around Hampshire county ...
Old 01-17-2007, 06:23 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a 253 gallon delivery about a month ago, paid $2.15 a gallon.

It is hard to say don't get on a budget plan (as most families can't take a 5-8 hundred dollar hit). BUT, the best deals are on COD, 250 gallons or more.
I started shopping my fuel about 5 weeks ahead. I make a page long list of about 15 companies that deliver in my area. I made three columns to the right of their name and number, I called three separate times over the month for COD price quotes. They all went down (just plain luck) up until the time I decided to pull the trigger.
I had never had oil heat till now (moved in last Feb.), always had propane fire forced warn air or elec. baseboard. I have no clue what people are talking about when they complain about oil heat??? I think it is GREAT, nice and even, doesn't dry you out real bad like gas.

I burn about 2.5-3 cords of wood a year, otherwise my oil bill would probably be in the $1,200 range (per yr. @ $2.15 a gallon).
Old 01-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Patrick, send a pm when your coming up here, I'll be happy to show you around or just give directions, or answer any questions you might have about the area. Lots of nice communities in the Hampshire county area.