Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Holy Cow!!! Look at my baby.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy Cow!!! Look at my baby.....

Well, I'm sitting at a stop light today and it's kind of windy out. They were calling for 20-30 mile an hour winds but with gusts to around 50mph. All of a sudden it gets really, really windy. So much that the truck is shaking. Next thing I know, the wind has gotten up under my Lite-Rider tonneau cover and rips it off the latch at the tailgate and swings it up over the cab and down on the windshield!! It hit so hard that it even broke my rearview mirror. It left a couple of scrapes on the roof and somehow bent the aluminum rails that are clamped to the bed and hold the tonneau in place. Thanks to USAA it will only cost me $100.00 to get it all fixed. This happened at about 11:00am today and the only place around that could replace it was 6 miles away and they couldn't do it where I was at so I had to drive it there. Of course as soon as I get on the road a State Trooper comes rolling up towards me. Luckily he wasn't paying attention and kept on rolling. I put the flashers on and got to the glass place where I had to wait over 4 hours for them to get the glass. Instead of waiting in their shop I decided to walk to go get some lunch. I had to walk over 1.5 miles in what felt like a wind tunnel. Of course I had to walk back in the same thing but it was at my back this time. They got it fixed quicker than they had planned though and I was on my way. What a day!! All this on the one day when my 10 month old decided he wanted to stay up all night while my wife was sick. So guess who had stayed up half of last night!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
O SNAP!!!THAT SUX, we got some of that wind, but not like that, How'd it get under the cover?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Geezzz.

MikeyB
Old 02-17-2006, 08:14 PM

yah.. that wind was kicking today. I saw truck in the parking lot at Lowes with in tonneau blown up also.
If your rear view broke, I wonder what would've happen if you had an overheard gauge pod.

Your baby was probably telling you to stay home last night.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Banned

ouch, that realy bites...... the wind kicked tail around here today too, but no damage to my rig...... wait a sec.. I got it out in front of the house under the tree lemmme go look..... well trucks fine but dang it was fifty out when I got home, now its 30.brrrrrrrr
Old 02-17-2006, 08:37 PM

It happened this morning.
The wind either got in at the corners where there's a small gap on each end or it may not have been sealed flat against my tailgate due to the plastic bedliner cap on the tailgate being a little warped. Either way the latch should have held it but once the wind got up under it, it had no chance.... I was covered in glass too. I can't believe how much glass came down on me when it happened....
Old 02-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Banned

ahh..i c, R u getting a free replacement cover b/c of its failure?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
All this on the one day when my 10 month old decided he wanted to stay up all night while my wife was sick. So guess who had stayed up half the night.
A good careing daddy, a good husband, and a good man.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:46 PM

Tell my wife that Geico!!!

I can't blame the cover. That wind was wicked!!

Worst of all is that my "C" is gone off the windshield....
Old 02-17-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
We didn't hqave any vehicle damage, but I did spend all day fixing the same fence I fixed LAST week. Tonight, I pull a 12 hour shift. Plan for the morning, CHAINSAW every green thing within falling distance.

Sorry about your truck, but you are lucky to have been parked. Imagine the suprise if you were tooloin' down the road in traffic. Glad you got her fixed up.

Ed
Old 02-17-2006, 09:00 PM

Kinda makes me glad I have a soft roll up style tonneau cover. Weather could be worse though, its been -38' CELCIOUS here for the last 3 days.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:30 PM

Oh man that blows!!! (pun intended )

Sorry to hear about that. That is amazing that it could do that much damage, but there is the proof. Go see you local Cummins dealer and show them your pictures and perhaps they will generously offer you another Cummins sticker.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:44 AM

Tweeter, it IS a soft cover! It's the bar in the rear that hit the windshield when it came over the cab. The bar is about 6" wide, 2.5" thick, and goes from side to side.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:30 PM

OUCH!, gonna go check mine for tension, maybe set up that optional 'lock' it came with..................
Old 02-18-2006, 05:16 PM

Luckily today I got my "Cummins Turbo Diesel" windshield banner from Genos Garage... Perfect timing!!!

Quick Reply: Holy Cow!!! Look at my baby.....