Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hogzilla II - over 1,000 pounds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007 | 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats what i said earlier. a true "wild hog" does not get that big. they fight since the moment they are born and are very strong and healthy. a "feral" hog isn't a wild hog. feral is a pig that once was domestic that escaped its pen and is now nondomesticated. a true wild hog has been wild since he was born, never in captivity. and if his daddy's daddy's daddy's daddy was feral, then the hogs get more wild and untameable the longer the generation goes on. we call these farm pigs that become "feral" smileys. because of their facial features. they have big floppy ears and almost a goofy facial expression.

now yes this pig is HUGE. and even though he is a smiley, i would not want to run across this in the woods, with any gun. if you think for one second this pig is something like you watched on "charlotte's web" than you are mistaken. i would like to see you get in a pen with one 500 pound boar farm pig. they can be very aggressive. it might have been a guided and somewhat controlled hunt, but it was still dangerous.

large hunting ranches or whatever you want to call them, raise these semi wild pigs so they can get very large, and also so they can pretty much gaurantee you a kill. i am not endorseing what they do, but it is how they make money. and yes this might be a media ploy for attention, but more than likely it has worked.
Old 05-29-2007 | 06:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well said ...
Old 05-29-2007 | 07:01 PM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not all farm raised big boars are mean, ive had 2 different ones that were practically pets, one weighed almost 1000 and the other weighed just shy of 900 when we took them in to the stockyard. he should of tried a shot behind the ear at a angle toward the skull, probably would of dropped it with the 1st or 2nd shot. i learned this real quick when you shoot a hog between the eyes with a 30.06 and it flips out and commences to tear everything in the yard up. next shot was behind the ear and it dropped dead.
Old 05-30-2007 | 08:36 AM
Ggg

Man reading the negative comments on monsterpig.com,,,,,,,,There are some extraordinarily ignorant people out there. It's too bad they have a right to voice their opinion.
Old 06-01-2007 | 11:31 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That hog was neither wild nor feral. It was a domestic hog that was raised as a pet, sold and then let go by the buyer to be shot. Not what I'd call hunting...

In case this hasn't been posted yet...

http://www.annistonstar.com/showcase...-7f01i1244.htm

'Monster Pig's' origins revealed
By Bran Strickland
Star Sports editor
06-01-2007

Rhonda Blissitt holds a picture of Fred the pig on Thursday evening while standing in front of the pen where she and her husband, Phil, raised him at their home in Fruithurst. Phil bought the pig for her during Christmas of 2004. Photo: Kevin Qualls/ The Anniston Star

FRUITHURST — Before he became known as “Monster Pig,” the 1,051-pound hog shot in Delta was known by another name.

Fred.

Rhonda and Phil Blissitt told The Star on Thursday evening that, on April 29, four days before the hog was killed, Fred was one of many livestock on their farm.

Late Thursday evening, their claims were confirmed by Andy Howell, Game Warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries.

“I didn't want to stir up anything,” Rhonda Blissitt said. “I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig.”

Added Phil Blissitt: “If it went down in the record book, it would be deceiving, and we'd know that for the rest of our lives.”

The monster hog gained worldwide acclaim after he was harvested by 11-year-old Jamison Stone, a Pickensville native, with a .50-caliber pistol on May 3 at the Lost Creek Plantation, LLC, a hunting preserve in Delta. The big boar was hunted inside a large, low-fence enclosure and fired upon 16 times by Stone, who struck the animal nearly a half-dozen times during the three-hour hunt.

The Blissitts said they were unaware that the hog generating all the media attention was once theirs. It wasn't until Howell spoke with Phil Blissitt that the pieces of the puzzle came together.

Phil Blissitt recalled Howell asking him about the now-famous hog.

“Did you see that pig on TV?” Phil Blissitt recalled Howell asking him. “I said, 'Yeah, I had one about that size. He said, 'No, that one is yours.'

“That's when I knew.”

Phil Blissitt purchased the pig for his wife as a Christmas gift in December of 2004. From 6 weeks old, they raised the pig as it grew to its enormous size.

Not long ago, they decided to sell off all of their pigs. Eddy Borden, owner of Lost Creek Plantation, purchased Fred.

Attempts by The Star to reach Borden were unsuccessful.

While Rhonda Blissitt was somewhat in the dark about the potential demise of her pet, Phil Blissitt said he was under the understanding that it would breed other female pigs and then “probably be hunted.” Many other of their former pigs — like their other farm animals — had been raised for the purpose of agricultural harvest.

As the Blissitts recounted the events of the last two days, they told stories and made many references to the gentleness of their former “pet.”

From his treats of canned sweet potatoes to the how grandchildren would play with him, their stories painted the picture of a gentle giant. The even talked about how their small chihuahua would get in the pen with him and could come out unscathed.

“But if they hadn't fed him in a while,” Rhonda Blissitt said, “he could have gotten irate.”

Phil Blissitt said he became irritated when they learned about all the doubters who said photos of Fred were doctored.

“That was a big hog,” he said.

The information of the pig's previous owner came out on the same day that officials from the Fish and Wildlife concluded their investigation of the hunt. They concluded that nothing illegal happened under the guidelines of Alabama law.

Allan Andress, enforcement chief for the Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Division, said they derived the hog's origin as the investigation unfolded.

“We were able to determine that he came from a domesticated environment,” he said. “So, he was not feral to start with. Therefore, he would not violate our feral swine trapping and relocating rule.”

Mike Stone, Jamison's father, contends that he was unaware of the origin of the pig. Before, during and after the hunt — and up until late Thursday night, when contacted by The Star — Mike Stone was under the impression that the hog was feral.

“We were told that it was a feral hog,” Mike Stone said, “and we hunted it on the pretense that it was a feral hog.”
Old 06-01-2007 | 01:42 PM

I'm the furtherest thing in the world from an anti-hunter but going to a game ranch to kill something to me just takes the sport and skill out of it.
Old 06-01-2007 | 05:05 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

When I was growing up we had a 800 lbs boar. I used to ride on him, he loved being scratched behind the ears. He was a lot of fun for a 12 year old boy. I would bring him food and he would make all kinds of noise, as I was bringing it to him. And he went where he wanted, nothing could contain the old guy. Any way as most farm animals one day he went for a one way ride.
Old 06-01-2007 | 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 223 rules
I'm the furtherest thing in the world from an anti-hunter but going to a game ranch to kill something to me just takes the sport and skill out of it.
x2........
Old 06-01-2007 | 06:32 PM

Thanks for posting that Hoss, I was about to post the same thing, it just did not sound right to me. Here is the link on Fox news: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,277097,00.html