Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hog hunting down South

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 01:25 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hog hunting down South

I want to try hog hunting sometime next year. Anyone have any hints or tips on the idea? I was looking at South Carolina or Tennessee so I wouldnt have so far to drive. Maybe there is a bunch of you guys that go out and wouldnt mind a tag-a-long Is it best to hunt with dogs, or do they allow you to bait them in? I am not sure on the laws about baiting, but here in PA, there is pretty much no baiting. Thanks for the responses!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:22 PM

Go to Arkansas. Hunt with a hand gun. Preferably the Super Black Hawk 44 variety! Depends on whos land you are on when you hunt as to the laws. If its private then pretty much anything goes. They are a pest down here and farmers get rid of them all the time. Nothing more fun that stalking a hog with a hand gun. Corner one if you get a chance and get ready, one of you is gonna die. Just make sure you got enough skill and fire power so its not you!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hunt hogs here in Texas, and prefer .30 cal autos. Need the firepower!

MikeyB
Old 11-21-2007, 05:56 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Does anyone know of farmers that let people hunt? I would like to line something up and Arkansas would not be too far, I guess. I have a 45-70 lever action set up for Canadian bear with a pistol scope mounted half way out the barrel. Makes it easy to see whats coming from the side trying to take a chunk out of your hide. I would like to try my Dan Wesson .357 max on a few hogs. I think it would be a lot of fun blasting a few hogs and filling the freezer.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:25 PM

hey are bad around where I live here in Texas...My 7.62 mm AK47 with hollowpoints in a 10 round clip gets the job done well
Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 PM

Most farmers will let you hunt their land. Either get a corn spreader or find someone that will let you tag along. Someone with dogs. Hog hunting is such a good time, and a pack of good dogs will make it much more enjoyable.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:37 PM

there almost impossable to kill better carry a 50 cal those suckers are tuffer than a cummins.come and kill them all in tn.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:45 PM

Come to TX and kill as many as you can!! Big guns lots of ammo and kill!!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:59 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Hey Sawmill, is that an invitation? I can bring lots of beer for the after hunt pig roast! Ever have Yuengling Lauger from here in PA? Its the best. I was trying to figure out how to contact farmers in the area for a place to hunt. Maybe I can bring you up to PA for Whitetail or Black bear in exchange.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by bnold
Come to TX and kill as many as you can!! Big guns lots of ammo and kill!!
man when my dad had peanuts I guess about 2 years ago they were terrible...I waged all out war on them. We would have actually paid people to kill 'em haha
Old 11-22-2007, 12:35 AM

Alabama !! http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...=1&image=large
Old 11-22-2007, 01:01 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Better make sure you have a Cummins to pull that thing out of the woods. I do believe I would have fudge dragon in my pants if that thing came after me. How great is it for the kid though. Bragging rights for a lifetime!
Old 11-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Fire power is the answer. Here in Florida you are many times in the tall grass. All you hear is grunting and watch the grass parting as the sucker is charging you. The rifle or the .357 hopefully gets him early - - if not, the second man takes him down with buckshot and the 12ga when he can see his eyes. Fun. They don't get as big down here, but we have some pretty nice ones - - they still are mean.
Bob
Old 11-22-2007, 07:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xOmertAx
hey are bad around where I live here in Texas...My 7.62 mm AK47 with hollowpoints in a 10 round clip gets the job done well
A buddy of mine just tried the new 6.8mm SOCOM against some hogs several weeks ago, didn't even phase them.

We prefer using M1A's and FN-FALs for getting the job done.

MikeyB
Old 11-22-2007, 08:41 AM

The most fun is going out about midnight and spotting them with flood lights from a 4 wheelers. One guy spots, one (or more) guys shoot
They are a big problem here in Texas. Amazing the damage a bunch of hogs can do to pastures and ranch roads

(PS, you can always go hoggin' in State College )
~PA Native Rob

Quick Reply: Hog hunting down South