Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Highly Upset

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highly Upset

For Christmas, the wife and I deceided we would get each other new desktops.
One call to Dell and our orders were in the works.
Ten days later, DHL drops off two boxs.
The day after Christmas, we deceide to transfer all the stuff from our old ones to the new ones.
Hers works fine. Mine
It seems there was a glitch in one of the old programs that transfered to the new one.
The new one has Trend Micro Pc Cilin on it.
During the transfer, I find there was a trojan and a couple of other problems that Norton didnt find.
After spending the better part of two hours on the phone with three different "techs", two of which I could hardly understand, the brand new computer is fixed and running great.
Ended up reformatting the harddrive. Most of the info that was on the old drive is on an external harddrive.
The bad part was all the diesel sites for parts and forums I had gone.
At least I remember a few of them and have got them back on now.
Just thought Id get this off my chest as I gotta rant and the wife dont want to hear it.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:13 AM

I have a Dell XPS laptop. We bought it for family use. I haven't had any software problems but in the last 18 months, I've had to replace the power pack 3 times (if it goes, you are on battery power only which only lasts a couple hours. It takes about 3 days to get a new one from Dell which means we are without the computer during that time.) Also, the left keypad button has gone out three times. I'm glad I got the extended warranty for 4 years. I also have a cursor jump problem since it's been new. I type and the the cursor will jump from where I'm typing to somewhere else....affecting my productivity. Most frustrating. This thing sits stationary on a table 99% of the time so it's not like it's being abused.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Exactly why I don't buy Dell anymore. I used to love their computers but their quality has dropped a lot over the past three years. I went to the thinkpad and never looked back. The quality is night and day. I would never touch a Dell again after using the ThinkPad.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:28 AM

Donnee, check out NOD32 anti virus program. It's what I replaced Norton with. None of them are perfect but NOD32 did better than Norton in testing at PC magazine, and they are pretty hard testers. Not a guru here, but it is worth a look.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:47 AM

Not to turn this into a Anti-Virus thread, but Kaspersky is generally considered the best on the market.

Norton is a victim of its own popularity. Virus writers know how to write viruses that won't be detected by Norton.