Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

high end laptop, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:high end laptop, any suggestions?

[quote author=VPI link=board=10;threadid=22650;start=0#msg212117 date=1069382219]
I just got a 17" HP with a full key board ;D. I run a lot of video through mine. I chose to not get xp media edition. I have and external capture device and it was free. I am unhappy with Toshib their customer service is about as good as Ferd's. I think Dell is very good but much much more expensive.

Take a look at the HP pavilion zd7000. PM me if you want any info.
[/quote]

Spent some time playing on their site, real interested. Gotta work for a couple of days (non stop) and will deal with it after. Prices look competitave with Sager and Toshiba. I do feel good about the service and parts availability of HP. Used their stuff for years. Thanks...
Old 11-20-2003, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody suggesting an IBM ThinkPad yet?

I may be biased because I have used ThinkPads for many years but they are not a bad unit, all things considered. I lug my year-old T23 everywhere (it is nice to be able to work from home), have dropped it a few times, spilled stuff on it, and never had any problems. Of course, I am my own warrantee station on it even though I work for them.

If we could just get away from Microcrap OS's...........

LINUX for the laptop, that's what I am waiting on.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:08 AM

I dont see why you couldnt put linux on a laptop. The biggest problem would be drivers and that isnt really a problem I'm sure someone has made them and if not write your own. Linux makes it all fairly easy.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:23 AM

unfortunately i cant cast my vote for dell at all. i go to a college where each student is required to purchase a laptop, the school has a "deal" with dell and therefore most people chose them. in 2001 i purchased the most top of the line i model taht was available. i went through 2 screens, 1 fixed dvd drive and 1 removable floppy drive in the time i owned it. none of these were as the result of abuse. each time something broke the result was horrible customer service (both from the on-campus techs and the corporate guys) and a very hard-time getting them to fix it. i can also say that i wasnt the only person to express dissatisfaction with dell.

at the moment i have an hp and couldnt be more happy with it. have heard alot of people are satisfied with dell though, just relaying my experience

jeff
Old 11-21-2003, 12:29 AM

Oh yeah, I've heard great things about those HP's I was looking at some of them my self.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=redramnc link=board=10;threadid=22650;start=15#msg212191 date=1069393902]
Nobody suggesting an IBM ThinkPad yet?

I may be biased because I have used ThinkPads for many years but they are not a bad unit, all things considered. I lug my year-old T23 everywhere (it is nice to be able to work from home), have dropped it a few times, spilled stuff on it, and never had any problems. Of course, I am my own warrantee station on it even though I work for them.

If we could just get away from Microcrap OS's...........

LINUX for the laptop, that's what I am waiting on.
[/quote]

I had terrible experience with IBM. The case hinges kept breaking. They replaced the case once, I managed to get one a second time. The unit is in my ham shack, case busted again. I found them rediculously expensive, good service but again rediculously expensive. The unit was marginal. We are talking old, a 300, but I would never use them again, it was a nightmare. They are geared for corperate use only. The new one will not cost as much as that did. They may very well have fixed the problems, but I would not use Xerox either after the 4045 nightmare.

Linux is currently available on a laptop, I beleive that it was Sager, in a day or so I will look over the history files and see where it was. The unit is sold with the OS, so it should be with full drivers. This was the full featured units also.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have found MS XP Pro to be very reliable. I hate all the hot patches that has been coming down the pike to fix the vunerability issues. It's pretty hard to get Pro to crash even during our hardware development cycle.
Only problem with Linux is getting driver support for the latest hardware for testing.

MikeyB