Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

high end laptop, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
high end laptop, any suggestions?

I am in the market for a high end laptop. Think I have it narrowed down to the Toshiba Satellite P25-S609 or the Sager NP8890. Anyone have experience with these units? I want the TV and DVD read write functions and the 17 inch screen.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:37 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:high end laptop, any suggestions?

I find it almost impossible to beat the price and quality of the Dell products. Their durability is fantastic. Support is rated very high. If I were buying a laptop today it would be a Dell. You can customize it to anything you want and their motherboards are not so "peculiar" to that company. So many other companies have proprietary components it almost makes it impossible to upgrade them.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:48 PM

[quote author=FiverBob link=board=10;threadid=22650;start=0#msg211944 date=1069357026]
I find it almost impossible to beat the price and quality of the Dell products. Their durability is fantastic. Support is rated very high. If I were buying a laptop today it would be a Dell. You can customize it to anything you want and their motherboards are not so "peculiar" to that company. So many other companies have proprietary components it almost makes it impossible to upgrade them.
[/quote]

I have downloaded quite a bit of material on Dell but they do not have the features I am looking for. This is for the truck and I need the tv feature and a few others. Their prices are competitive. I am also afraid of enhancing my x's stock :-X Thanks much for the input....
Old 11-20-2003, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am a fan of Dell notebooks. I'm not sure however that they offer a model with a tv tuner. You might be able to get around that with a PCMCIA card.

I am assuming you want this for when you are stopped on the road. If that is true then the size may not matter. I have to travel with mine a lot and find that every time I upgrade smaller size and less weight are the driving factors. I curently use a Dell Inspiron 600 with a dvd/ cd burner. I really like it. There are times when I watch dvd's on it and everynow and then passengers watch a movie while we drive down the road. I bought a fm transmitter from radio shack that plugs into the headphone jack on the laptop and transmits on the low end of the FM scale. That way we can listen to the movie through the truck stereo. Much better sound that way and even though I can't watch while driving I can listen to the movie.

Mark
Old 11-20-2003, 01:58 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The next best one out there that I am aware of for TV and graphics out of the box is the Sony. My desktop is Sony for one reason - - graphics.
Hey, forget about the X - - maybe you should buy some too.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:07 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=FiverBob link=board=10;threadid=22650;start=0#msg211944 date=1069357026]
[/quote]

I was going to suggest Dell as well.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:10 PM

Working in the field, I also would have to agree with FiverBob that Dell is problably your best bet. Their laptops seem to have the best reliability, service, and features for the money. Last time I checked, the TV tuner was not available, but like others have said, you could simply purchase an add-on card.

Sony would be a decent alternative too. Out of the two you are looking at, if I was forced to choose one, it would probably be the Toshiba.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:14 PM

I love my dell , toshiba's are sweet too, look into www.voodoopc.com

Old 11-20-2003, 02:15 PM

I use a compaq business solutions notebook for work. I only use it for basic purposes (Word, Excel), and I do catch an occasion DVD while on the plane. It works OK. I have heard good things about the Toshiba Satelite. I believe the Sager has more goodies though. Have you looked into the Sony notebooks?
Old 11-20-2003, 02:25 PM

Here is an excellent product. The ATI TV Wonder USB. If you get the dell, or any laptop for that matter, this device will plug right in. Most places online sell them for about $75 plus shipping. www.axiontech.com is one place to get it online. I've attached a picture.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:08 PM

I use the Dell Inspiron 7500 and have been very happy with it for the last 3 years. The only problem I have had has been the battery which could have been pricey to replace but Dell took care of it. If and when I need to buy agian, it will most likely be a Dell, this one is heavy but I dont travel much, not too big of a deal for me. I can this one for back up to one of the desk tops to run some of the equipment here in the office.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HP makes a 17" widescreen laptop (more of a desktop replacement) that available with DVD+RW and has Microsoft Media Center. Media Center has the functions like Tivo. Able to record off of TV or videos. Will need a RCA A/V to USB 2.0 adapter for that function through.

MikeyB
Old 11-20-2003, 08:36 PM
VPI

I just got a 17" HP with a full key board ;D. I run a lot of video through mine. I chose to not get xp media edition. I have and external capture device and it was free. I am unhappy with Toshib their customer service is about as good as Ferd's. I think Dell is very good but much much more expensive.

Take a look at the HP pavilion zd7000. PM me if you want any info.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:29 PM

I appreciate all the input. The reason for Sager is because we bought their best in 2000 and it is a great machine, very satisfied, never had an issue except for the bird pulling the key pads off a few times. I will be looking into the HP, I would feel comfortable with the HP. I am surprised at the Toshiba not haveing good service. They have the best specs so far, except that the Sager has a higher resolution screen, both are good though.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:43 PM

I was a big fan of dell and used them in almost all of my network designs for large buisness. After finding out that there more or less anti-gun I've desided that I will never purchase any of there products again. They still make good quality equipment though at a very cheap price. I just thought I'd mention it. Anti-gun can make me alittle excitable
Chris

Quick Reply: high end laptop, any suggestions?