Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hey tractor guru's, got a problem....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey tractor guru's, got a problem....

Hey guys, this may be an odd question but i know a few of you have way more knowledge and experience with these beasts than i do, so give this a thought. My dad has a Kubota m4900 (sweeet tractor ) and is having some troubles with the 6' bush hog we got this weekend. Basically, the PTO on the tractor engages REALLY rough when hooked to the bush hog. Once the thing gets going, it spins well and doesnt seem like the blades are off balance or anything. But, when first engaged it's really rough and has broke 3 or 4 sheer pins in less than 2 days. He drops the engine down to the lowest idle it'll go, and there's only one lever to move to get the PTO going (no clutch to work it in slowly). Basically it starts up so rough that it's breaking the pins. But if it makes it past the initial start up, it's fine and hasnt broke any while running at all. Is it possible that the bush hog is too light, or is this just a normal problem? My dad is pretty familiar with tractors in general but never has owned a bush hog and we've never run one on this tractor at all. The bush hog is the standard one from TSC. If anyone has any advice i'd really appreciate it, myself i have very little knowledge of this kinda stuff since i am admittedly very young and new to it. Thanks for any help!
Old 09-28-2003, 11:21 PM

Re:Hey tractor guru's, got a problem....

is your PTO shaft angle to steep ?? i dont know just a thought
Old 09-29-2003, 09:02 AM

I have an M4700 that I absolutely love. The PTO does engage pretty hardif your not careful. I move the lever real slow until it starts to run and I have gotten pretty good at a smooth engagement. I'd probably take it in to the dealer though if your breakin shear pins. That has never happened to me and I pull an 8' heavy duty cutter with mine.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:15 AM

We have a 65 HP kobota its an older model but it has two levers to work the PTO. one turns it on and off and the other is like a slip clutch. pull it up and it stops.As you put it back down it spins faster and faster. The only thig I really like about the tractor :-
DM01
Old 09-29-2003, 11:32 AM

here's something out of left field.. Could the bushhog need grease/oil.. maybe the differential there is hanging up slightly causing it to shear the pins..

Also.. are you using shear pins (from tractor place) or abolt of some sort? If a bolt - could it be too light??

just a couple ideas..