Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hey Gun Nuts, Need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Gun Nuts, Need some advice!

Ok, so I just recently bought a Rem VTR R15 2009 .223 24in barrel Max 1 Camo. Along with that, I have a custom built 22-250 and 300 Ultra Mag. I would really like to put a Leupold VXlll 6.5-20X56 Varmint Hunter on the .22 Calibers. For the Ultra Mag, I would like to put the Leupold VXlll 4.5-14X56 Boone & Crockett on that. I use the .22 calibers for little critters, coyotes, etc... and the 300 RUM for, well you know. So, first question. Do you see any issues with using these scopes on these paticular guns? Is there something better in that price range? And, where is the cheapest place to purchase Leupold scopes? I absolutly love my NightForce scope, but sometimes think its over kill for what I want to use (these) guns for. I have a wild cat target/hunting rifle that I have the NightForce on, but the gun was built for long range, so that scope fits its needs. If you have any knowledge or recommendations, please spill it. Thanks guys!

Jason
Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 PM

From reputation you are selecting quality glass for your guns. Whether or not the power selections is overkill is something only you can determine. I have seen .22 cals with scopes almost as long as the barrel but the important thing is you need to make sure the gun is up to shooting what the scope can do for it. It is a shame to put a quality piece of glass on a rifle that will only shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yds.

I use a lot of Burris and have been happy with their quality even though the ones I have are less expensive than other models they have. Check out their Black Diamond line or Euro Diamond line. I don't know how the prices compare but the quality is probably there. As for pricing, just google the sight you want and compare prices.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leupold has a minimum sale price and blacklists any dealers who break it. For this reason alone, I've stopped buying any Leupold products. For your 22's, I'd consider a Sightron SII. Decent price, very crisp optics and I've never had one break. For your 300 RUM, have you looked at the Zeiss Conquest series? They might be $100 more than a VX-III, but they're a significantly clearer scope. I really like Burris, but they're a bit longer in the tube, and can present mounting challenges for some rifles. If you're looking at low light shooting, Meopta is a scope not often seen or promoted in the US, but they've been making sniper-quality optics for the ex Soviet-bloc countries for decades, and they started making glass in the early 1900. Great thing with Meopta is that you can get a 30mm tube, which greatly enhances your field of view and light transmission.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 AM

I have and use sightron big sky 6-24

They have good glass / ***** and they just work
Old 02-26-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Equalizer 2
It is a shame to put a quality piece of glass on a rifle that will only shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yds.
For custom build guns, they better hold better than a 2 inch group at 100 yards. No, I get what your saying and thanks you guys for all your input. One of the main reasons I like the 2 Leupolds I mentioned is because of the reticals. I will for sure look into other models. As far as the Sightrons, I don't know from experience, but was told that they would never stand a chance on a 300 RUM loaded full tilt? Not sure? If you know they will, chime in. Thanks guys, and keep'em commen!

Jason