Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Help (stereo)!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help (stereo)!!

Well I've been looking at new stereo's lately.and can't make up my mind.
I have over 250 cd's and hate shuffling through them all the time.

So I was wondering if any of you know if it's possible to take an aftermarket stereo with the usb port on the back of the unit and hook to a external hard drive that I could put under my seat.
I already found a external Hard drive that will run off the power supplied ona usb 2.0 port.
But do you know if any stereo's usb ports put out the power needed ( I think it's like 5v)

It's either that route or this stereo I already found.
It's very sweet unit but a little pricey.

If you want the most from your in-dash receiver, but space is a concern, the JVC KD-NX5000 DVD receiver packs a lot of features into a standard-sized chassis. Not only do you get DVD and CD playback, but you'll also find a full color 3.5" screen and a dedicated 40-gigabyte hard drive for navigation.

Built-in hard drive navigation
The navigation drive features more than 13 million points of interest and multiple destination searches, so it's easy to find restaurants, hotels, and landmarks in unfamiliar places. Read more

Details:

General features:

» DVD/CD receiver with navigation and built-in amplifier (20 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
» detachable face with 3.5" color screen
» remote control

Audio/Video features:

» plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and WAV files), DVDs, DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, and DivX
» 24GB hard drive for music storage
» JVC Original lossless recording
» 7-band iEQ
» DVD Audio compatible
» DTS/Dolby Digital

Navigation features:

» built-in 16GB hard drive navigation
» 13 million points of interest
» 2D and 3D map viewing angles
» built-in RDS-TMC tuner receives up-to-the-minute traffic reports (subscription required, 3-month subscription included)
» voice guidance in English, French, or Spanish

Expandability:

» compatible with optional JVC Bluetooth adapter
» compatible with optional JVC iPod adapter
» steering wheel remote control compatible
» satellite radio ready
» optical digital output
» gold-plated video input/output terminals
» three sets of gold-plated preamp outputs

Other features and specs:

» amp defeat switch
» telephone muting
» warranty: 1 year

Any help would be great.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The power issue can be a problem. I have a Kenwood with a USB port, the manual says no more than 500mA power consumption allowed. I use flash drives in it, a couple gig holds a lot of music.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just put Alpine CDA-9856's in my wife's car and my jetta. You can buy a $30 cable with it that allows you to plug and ipod into it. It is a nice stereo and cost only about $325.

When you plug the ipod in then you can use the stereo to control the ipod.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:52 PM

If you have your songs in an external hard drive or on your computer burn them as MP3's, or data discs. Then, a 700mb cd holds around 170-180 songs. I bought an alpine head unit for $199 at best buy, plays my mp3 discs and has the Ipod hookup, you just have to buy the cable.

Then you can reduce your CD's to around 10-15.

Jamie
Old 03-25-2007, 10:08 PM

My alpine unit does play mp3 discs, but all the stuff I've bought from itunes is mp4/aac which the alpine unit does not play... arg!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:17 AM

I also have an Alpine 9856 ($200) with the cable ($30) and a 30 gig Ipod ($250). Awesome. 3700 songs at my fingertips and the Ipod is only half full. Once you go to a similar set up, you will never want to touch a CD again.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:10 AM

Yeah I don't have an ipod, but my wife does and she never carries discs in her car anymore...
Old 03-26-2007, 10:32 AM

If you are going to purchase the above unit, why do you need an external HD? It will hold 24Gb of music itself. Alternately if you still need the external drive, you could purchase one with a separate power supply and hard wire the supply into the car's system.

Also, I must say I no longer like you as now I have to go find some $$ so I can buy that head unit, as that sucker is Shhhhaaaweeeeeet!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:38 AM

stereo

Blackbird, I use a firelite smartdisk portable drive. It's about the size of a cigarette pack and holds a hundred gig. It can be powered by usb or power adapter. Buy a power inverter and power problem solved. Or like some one earlier mentioned a flash drive. I saw an 8 gig one the other day.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:40 PM

Use an external laptop harddrive like the above post. They will easily run off the power of a usb port, and can be had at a decent price now adays..
Old 03-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Banned

Yeah but can it beat an 03 cobra? Sorry blackbird, had to do it.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.roadmasterusa.com/stereos_car_vr3.php

This is what I have in my truck. Very good quality and compatibility. But it is cheaper at Wally World. It has 4 RCA jacks in the back. If you have that much music I would buy a 2 gig SD card, a 4 gig USB flash drive, and a IPod with the stereo and have close to 10 gigs of storage and it would be about the same or less in price. Plus with the USB jack you could hook up a external and a power inverter and get everthing except for the 3.5" screen.

(Dismounting my Belgian horse and jump into my truck...) Ok got off my high horse.

dieseljon
Old 03-26-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sea:\>Drive
If you are going to purchase the above unit, why do you need an external HD? It will hold 24Gb of music itself. Alternately if you still need the external drive, you could purchase one with a separate power supply and hard wire the supply into the car's system.

Also, I must say I no longer like you as now I have to go find some $$ so I can buy that head unit, as that sucker is Shhhhaaaweeeeeet!
No I was wondering a a head unit with a usb drive would power an external hard drive. or should I just buy the deck above.

Yeah the deck is sweet. but pricey $1000 but it does have NAV so it kind levels out.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Yeah but can it beat an 03 cobra? Sorry blackbird, had to do it.
you should have followed that with

(DID THATS JUST BLOW YOUR MIND)???
Because that just happened...

All rights revsered by Ricky Bobby INC..