Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Help!!! Please with Gasser Question!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help!!! Please with Gasser Question!!!!!

Sorry about putting a gasser request Help but I need Help!!
Have a 1996 Dodge Ram Wagon 3.18 5.2, the problem is when the gas tank gets to about 1/4 tank the engine runs rough when accelorating and engine light comes on. If I fill it with gas about 3 minutes later it runs fine only happens in the winter. In the summer it is fine. I'm in Pa. and it got real cold here and it started happening at a half tank. Has anyone ever expierenced this problem? this has been happening for about a year but it is getting alot worse. I'm thinking it may be the fuel pump! Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:29 PM

Well, mind you I'm only a shade tree wrencher, but a couple of things come to mind. From my experiences with tank fuel pumps, they usually just quit. No warning, no stuttering, just plain old nothing! But thats just been my experience. You could gauge the fuel line and see what your pressure is. Naturally you have probably done the simple stuff like changing your fuel filter and making sure you have a good seal on your gas cap and screwing it down until it clicks. The other issues may be foreign debri in your tank and/or water in the fuel. I was always taught to keep the tank at least half full, especially in the winter. Condensation forms pretty quickly when cold fuel meets a not as cold garage. You might try a product like "Heet" to add to your fuel and see if that makes any differences. I'm also assuming your fuel gauge is accurate. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions. Anytime I'm faced with a problem with my gassers I try to reduce my thought process to the simplest solution and then work my way up from there. It was a lot easier in the days of Air/Fuel or Spark. Now you have to deal with CPU's ,sensors, microprocessors etc...Good luck
Old 01-12-2004, 12:27 AM

It's either your fuel pump itself going bad, and when exposed to the air (instead of being cooled in the gasoline) it's burning up, or it's the plastic hose from the pickup to the fuel pump (part of the overall fuel pump module) that's developed a hole/crack in it, and when the fuel level gets low enough to expose this hole/crack, you start sucking air, which lowers the fuel pressure, and makes the truck run like crap.

Either way, it's going to require dropping the tank, removing the fuel pump module, and either trying to replace the pickup tube (don't even know if it's possible - never tried it), or simply replacing the fuel pump module, and not having to worry about it anymore.

In the meantime, obviously, don't let the tank get below 1/2
Old 01-12-2004, 12:37 AM

I have an '01 ram with the 318 I found out the hard way that under any circumstances let the gas go below a quarter tank that is when you burn up the pump. Speaking from experience this happen to me last year the truck started fine problem stopped to get gas and went to turn on the truck got nothing. So its my exp if you have a pump that goign it just goes with no warning.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
In other vehicles, I've seen poor running caused by the fuel tank vent/evap emissions stuff not letting air into the tank to replace fuel as it is consumed. It caused poor running towards the end of the tank on road trips (tank draining quicker?) particularly in colder weather.

Your vehicle is new enough to have to pass the 360 rollover no leak test, so the various vent lines have check valves and rollover valves that can stick, get wet and freeze...

I may be totally out in left field, but it should be easy to confirm or eliminate...

Quick test: When its down to 1/4 of a tank and quits running well, unscrew the gas cap for a minute to let air in and see if the engine returns to normal.

Like I said above, I could be totally wrong...
Old 01-12-2004, 10:01 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Just for grins, have you been using dry gas? We have at least one local station that looks nice, but if you don't carry dry gas, your getting stranded, I only stop there for coffee fills now. Remeber that water settles under oil products, so when it gets down there, that may be what your getting into. I think the air leak would show in the summer as well. If dry gas doesn't work, at least you can say you tried it, maybe a double dose.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:43 PM

I have replaced many fuel pumps on gas Dodge pickups in the last couple of years. All the 95-00's seem to eventually need one. Similar symtoms to yours. Replace the fuel level sender at the same time if you do it.