Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Help....Oregon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help....Oregon?

Hey all.

I've noticed in a signatures that a few of you are from Oregon. I have a potential job in Portland. Being from Missouri, and never been to Oregon. Help me out. Places to live. School districts to avoid. Things to do. Web sites. You name it.

I'm scheduled for a trip out in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
We do have some members here from Oregon who will probably chime in soon Also check out the North West Bombers web site, most of those guys are also members here, and a pretty good bunch of guys too!
Old 08-23-2004, 06:16 PM

Can't help out to much in the Portland area for I live in southern Oregon. Only drive to portland to pull fuel off the pipeline when we are low at our pieline in Eugene. Like TOP said come on over to www.nwbombers.com we have several members who live in the Portland area.
I know if it was me relocating I would be looking for a place in the outlying area. But then I'm just a country boy, don't much care for the big city. Been there done that.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:29 PM

like tankery said id be looking for something out of town. im over an hour south of him and try to avoid the big city to. good luck and welcome though
Old 08-23-2004, 11:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
What part of Portland is your job in?

I live 80 miles out, close enough to pop over to shop frequently, and traffic can really be bad. I would hate to work on the west end and live in Gresham, or work on the east end and live in Beaverton...

It is a nice city, generally, but there are bad areas. Great state- has mountains, nice coast, desert areas, rivers, nice lakes... no sales tax...
Old 08-24-2004, 01:08 AM

Oregon is a sportsman's paradise. Portland is --------- well check out the city on the internet. It is on the Columbia river, with lots of surrounding bedroom communities . Like any large city it has its problems , but not as many as most cities this size. I believe it has been voted as one of the most desirable cities in the US to live in. It is only hours from Seattle, and going south, there are the Dunes along the coast for atv, motorcycle and buggy riding on the ocean. Lots of lakes and mountains and beaches with many state parks. No state income tax. Fairly low taxes generally, compared to some areas I have lived in. The climate is cool with very little snow in town in the winter. Sometimes it rains --but you don't have to shovel it !!! Schools ? -----You need to know --where you will work and live, ---traffic can be a problem !!! I go once in a while, and normally enjoy myself compared to Chicago or LA. I like it here near Coos Bay, away from the big city however----done way too many big cities in my life.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:20 AM

Ah-ha! My girlfriend and I are maybe moving somewhere together and Portland was also near or at the top of our lists. I've never been there but it sounds nice. I don't have a job lined up though unfortunately and I heard unemployment is a little problem.

Hmmmmmm!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:10 AM
CJ

Ditto on finding a place out of town, I avoid Portland like the plauge. But I'm just a poor old country boy. I live about 75 mile south, course that would be a bit of a comute Portland probably wouldn't be that bad if you were used to big towns. just my .02

CJ
Old 08-24-2004, 09:22 AM

I agree with you guys on the not living in the city part. I too have lived mainly in the burbs of the cities I've lived in. Personally, I love watching deer & turkeys walking around behind my house. Only problem with that is, my wife puts an extra lock on the guns. Also makes for some pretty bad buck & beard fever (if you all know what I mean).

Address is in the 700 block of SW Third Ave. Traffic can't be much worse than St. Louis.

Any thoughts about living over in Vancouver area?
Old 08-24-2004, 10:49 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We are as Far from Portland as you can get and still be in Oregon but welcome to the State.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:17 PM

That is pretty much down town, for location
Vancouver is across the bridge ---YOU ARE GONNA HAVE TRAFFIC !! but no worse than before .