Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Help designing a web site for my stainless biz

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help designing a web site for my stainless biz

I need to design a web site and I have no idea where to start. I was thinking that there would be some step-by-step instructions on the net somewhere but Im not seeing what I was looking for.

I do plan to advertise obviously so it has allow that prefferably without any annoying popups or ads running across the screen.

I was told to download Nvu so I did. Then I printed off the instructions for it and it still wasnt "dumbed-up" enough for me to understand.

I also tried a few other sites that create a site by picking a few things and then yer done. That was just not good enough, it looked like my kids made it.

I do recognize that people make a living at designing web sites and Im sure this might sound like im just tryin to get something for nuthin. But I can assure you that is EXACTLY what im tryin to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:21 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
You can try and download Mozilla Composer, it's a part of the Mozilla suite- it'a a web editor that will help you a bit- it's free and has some nice documentation with it.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 03-27-2006, 07:00 AM

Just please don't use a Microsoft product!

I use an old and oudated Macromedia Dreamweaver which is still pretty tricky but I am used to it.

I have never heard of NVU. If you want to check out dreamweaver, it is free for 30 days, here is the old version I use.

http://xj.cdevco.net/temp/dreamweaver3.exe
Old 03-27-2006, 01:16 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
If you're using a web host that has Micro$oft IIS then Front Page is better to take advantage of all the bells and whistles IIS has to offer. If they use LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySql, PHP) then DreamWeaver is a good choice.

Front page has several templates for different types of web pages which you just install and then customize. It's not that hard. I use Front Page for my stuff but I also Like DreamWeaverMX.

Check out Godaddy.com. They have web hosting for $3.95/month and can also register your domain name for $8.95/yr. The have a product called WebSite Complete which is a simple Q&A to build a basic web site for $14.95.

Edwin
Old 03-28-2006, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the help, ill give it a shot. Not sure which one to go with though. Thanks