Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

HELP 98 Dodge Intrepid is kickin my tail

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:15 PM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vzdude
you don't have to take the starter off or anything. One bolt, and one wire with a ring terminal on it. IIRC it is a green wire.
I can't see in there too well but I don't yet see a "GREEN" wire on the starter bolts.
There is a huge ground cable on the top bolt. It's not green though.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well.....there goes that theory. I'm pretty sure it only had one wire on the starter bolt so..........
Old 07-02-2007, 10:47 PM

Well.....there goes that theory. I'm pretty sure it only had one wire on the starter bolt so..........
Ok what I have found is that the small wire at the back of the starter has some of the insulation pulled back. I accidentally pressed it against a bracket and the starter tried to turn over.
It doesn't have alot of slack so I'm unsure as to whether it's the culprit but it does need addressing.
There may be a smaller ground wire on the starter (the schematic shows one) but I can't find the right position to see it from underneath or up top.
I've uploaded a drawing into my gallery(it's not approved yet )from the service manual that shows the starter and the wires. The suspect wire has a red arrow pointing at it.
That small ground may be up on the top bolt but I can't see up there or even get my fingers up there to feel it.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Grounds 200 and 201 are for the interior stuff like a/c head, guage cluster, radio ect. Might check them.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:35 PM

still not there

Ok I've unwrapped pretty much every bundle of wires under the hood on the drivers side. I did see a red wire with a white tracer but I have yet to see where it splices into 3 other wires, it was solid from the TCM to the firewall.
So from there I sprayed contact cleaner into the connectors for both the TCM and the PCM, blew them out with compressed air and gave them some time to dry.
I also disconnected every ground cable that I could find and buffed the ends and the mating surface to a lustrous shine with my wire wheel and die grinder.
I tried starting the car and it started and died twice and then the starter would do nothing I tried several times and got nothing at all not even a click.
I tried moving the shifter in and out of park several times turned the key off and on several times including giving it a jiggle and still nothing.
Something I did notice though was that when I turned the key on the a/c fan did not blow, when I hit the starter the traction on and traction off light came on as well as the check engine light and the radio and the a/c controls went blank while trying the starter. Also the theft control light up on top of the dash came on and stayed on. I connected the code reader....no codes.
After several more tries I noticed that on one of the tries the a/c fan started blowing. When I tried the starter it fired right up but the cluster or the a/c compressor wasn't working. I didn't have to touch the pedal or anything but it stayed running. I checked the code reader, still no codes.
I decided to drive it around a little and after about 5 min.s the a/c started cooling, 10-20sec.s later the gauges came back and the CIL goes off. Still no codes for a couple of reads and then the P1698 code appears. No check engine light though.
Not sure where to turn from here other than taking it to the dealer.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:03 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

I am beginning to think maybe more like an ignition switch or something with the last symptoms described. It is hard to get a feel for it over the net! I hate throwing parts at stuff, and I am definately a better do-er than teacher!
I'm trying!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:16 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
The latest crazy symptoms sound suspiciously like a problem with the ignition switch. I am not going to suggest that you install a new switch yet, but you could try checking the plugs going to the switch and also blow a wad of contact cleaner into the switch and work the switch over the full travel a few times with the battery cable disconnected. Reconnect the battery cable and see if it fires up with everything working. If that changes the symptoms then maybe go for a new ignition switch.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:24 PM

It is hard to get a feel for it over the net! I hate throwing parts at stuff, and I am definately a better do-er than teacher!
I'm trying!
Well I definitely appreciate the effort.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
Well I definitely appreciate the effort.
One of the guys on the OBDII forum is leaning toward the ignition switch as well.
I guess I'll check there next. If I get an indication that this it I'll probably replace it.