Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Heavy equipment questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy equipment questions

I am possibly goin to be involved in a large developement project in the near future. I will be needing an excavator and dump truck on site full time for 5+ years so I was thinking of just starting up another company and buying them myself. they will be on the same 500 acre chunk of land the whole time while we build the houses and other buildings. My question is should I go new & lease or try to find clean used equipment. These will be used everyday all day for the majority of the 5 yrs but the truck will never be on a city road. What are the best options in the excavator and dump truck markets? At this point i know very little about this type of equipment. Also what am I lookin at cost wise to run this stuff (hidden costs)?What should I be billing out per hour for each?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned

Cant say to much on the truck but with a excavator I would personally say go with new equipment although you may find good clean used equipment there is alot that could go wrong new or used but a less chance with new, wether it worn hoses, leaking cyls, hyd issues, and electronics. The problems are not that hard to figure out its the down time to get the parts. What size excavator and truck were you looking for?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:36 PM

The excavator will be used to dig holes for the houses and the trucks will be needed to move the soil around the site. We already have a couple mining style trucks but I want a normal type Mack or something in case we need to haul something in or out of the site. Im not sure on the size - not too big. I was actualy thinking of gettin a compact one too for grading the lots and doing retaining wall work.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:55 PM

Don't know where you are located but in Wisconsin, www.threelakestruck.com tend to have a fair selection of Mack-type dumps. Excavators are tricky - not too knowledgeable on them. I will say if it's for a smaller project, I would look for a good used one - new will deprecaite rapidly. If you need a wheel loader I know the Case 621 or 721, and similarly sized Cat 928 & 930 may work well.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:15 PM

You named the only truck worth having if its all construction and off road work, MACK. Get you a good ole R model and never look back. It will do what ever you ask of it and wont think twice about it!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:29 PM

My opinion on excavator would depend on the job..personally I'd be prone to say a 200 size excavator, My Top Opinion on excavator would be 200 John Deere/ Hitachi same designs different engines), or the 320 Cat both excelent working Mid size excavators.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 200 series Hitachi/John deere is an exellent machine for what you want to do. We have been digging very large ponds with one for the past 2 years.

We did have to replace the water pump on it though, to the tune of 600$$$ from the Isuzu dealer. Although its got about 3000 hrs on it.

Any hydraulic equiptment that works everyday, especially in dusty conditions is going to develop hyd. leaks, hoses will flex constantly,And be subjected to the sun. Fluid and filter changes etc.

Depending on local pricing 200-300hr with operator is a decent charge. Thats with no transporting cost involved, since you said it would not be leaving the work site.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Syndicate
I am possibly goin to be involved in a large developement project in the near future. I will be needing an excavator and dump truck on site full time for 5+ years so I was thinking of just starting up another company and buying them myself. they will be on the same 500 acre chunk of land the whole time while we build the houses and other buildings. My question is should I go new & lease or try to find clean used equipment. These will be used everyday all day for the majority of the 5 yrs but the truck will never be on a city road. What are the best options in the excavator and dump truck markets? At this point i know very little about this type of equipment. Also what am I lookin at cost wise to run this stuff (hidden costs)?What should I be billing out per hour for each?
Around these parts a single 10 wheeler runs about $100 per hour, T-hoe will very on size but like a cat 320 or a komatsu 300 will run about $250 per hour.

As for what to purchase there is many variables. First thing is what functions you intend to use the equipment for ie pipe install (storm drain,H20,sewer, power etc), Digging holes for homes (full basement 8'-10' cut, slab on grade maybe a 3' cut). Second, do you plan to load trucks with the T-hoe? Third, If you plan to move alot of dirt onsite with a 10 wheeler does the site conditions permit this (not to practical to have to build temp roads all over to traverse the site with a 10 wheeler in slick or muddy winter conditions, of course you could be in the bannana belt and be lucky enough to not have to deal with winter conditions)?

T398
Old 10-06-2006, 12:07 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

From time to time, I drive tri-axle dumps.

I have driven them all and will second the opinion on the R-Model Mack, all Mack, with Macksidyne 300 engine, six-speed two-pole transmission, and genuine walking-tandem (Hendrickson style) Mack rears.

Mack rears work similar to the old "All-Wheel-Drive" in the old International Scouts.

Torque is sent to all wheels, and not only the two with least traction; a genuine set of Mack rears will not have a power-divider lock-up switch on the dash, as they take care of themselves.

Around here, we get $75/hour for truck and driver, some jobs will pay $100/hour.

At these rates, you better buy a truck.

As for a track-hoe, LEASE, with my preference being Kobelco, then Komatsu.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:21 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Syndicate
I want a normal type Mack or something in case we need to haul something in or out of the site. Im not sure on the size - not too big. I was actualy thinking of gettin a compact one too for grading the lots and doing retaining wall work.

An experienced driver can do anything with a tri-axle, while hauling three times the weight, and do it much safer, than can be done with a little bobbed-off single-axle.

Watching them at the quarry, I see little single-axle dumps cross the scales with rock piled over the head-board , and pouring off the sides and tailgate , with the back tires mashed about half-flat , and the front tires almost lifted off the ground , reeling and wobbling from one side to the other .

I can put their entire truck and load in one corner of the bed, and not be able to see it over the side-boards, let alone know it is in there.

A single axle has four pairs of brake-shoes, whereas, a tri-axle has eight pairs.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:07 AM

I would buy an older Mack DM600 tandem axle so you don't have the tag axle to deal with causing you to get stuck etc. or even a DM800 if you can find one.There probably isn't a tougher truck to be had and parts will not be a problem either,even for the older ones.
I would buy a new excavator for the availability and the service that comes with it.My personal preference would be Cat but John Deere has a good product too.
One major factor in your purchase should be the location of your dealer and his reputation.You don't need to be fighting for service/warrantee work while you have site work to do.
If you have a maintainance dept. to do repairs on site then you can consider a used machine but that is more overhead that you don't really need with two vehicles.
Consider adding to your fleet a rubber tired backhoe soon because they can do so much,at some point you will need to be cleaning the streets and they are so handy for digging deck piers etc that one should be part of your fleet.
That can be a used machine of course,John Deere will be the preferred brand for a TLB.When the time comes for a small dozer go for John Deere again,they are the best in small dozers.Good Luck.Ron G
Old 10-06-2006, 07:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I vote for Macks also. I drove a '78 R series Value Liner many moons ago, 300 Maxidyne I6, 9spd Maxitorque tranny with the Hendrickson rears. I sure couldn't break it.....ok, I did break a fuel tank strap...

MikeyB
Old 10-06-2006, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with New Holland/Kobellco some of the best excavators on the market.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Banned

When it comes to picking a certain brand of new or used excavator, parts and service is one of, if not the most important factor to consider. Ask around and find out who stands behind their equipment. Buying new gives you more of a warranty plus more of a payment. Buying used gives you someone else's problems. But there is good used equipment to be found. Always ask for any maint. records. You'll see any repairs as well as oil sample results. If there are no records, walk away! Things to watch out for when looking at used excavators are :
1. Loose or worn turntable. This is one of the most expensive repairs. Boom down over the side to see if there is any movement at the turntable.
2. Carefully inspect the stick and boom for cracks or repairs. I know first hand that when you break a stick, it can be real ugly! Also inspect the track frame and upper main frame for cracks or repairs. Track bushings, drive segments and bucket, stick and boom pins should be tight.

3. Engine and pumps... this is where you need oil sample results. Check pressure relief valves by cycling and tube locking each hydraulic control. Check hydraulic and engine cooling by running the engine wide open and booming up against the relief valve and holding it there for a few (5) min. If the water and oil temps quickly climb, they should quickly return to normal after you let off of the hyd. controls. Oh....almost forgot.... its gotta have a good seat!

A hyd. quick coupler is nice for changing buckets or using a wheel. A third valve for a thumb or breaker is always a good thing to have. And watch for rust....a rusty cab means rusty wires and hose fittings... which can and will cost you.
I'm sure that theres lots that I forgot....but hey, its Friday..

Hope some of this helps.....