Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

heavy equipment operating schools?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this school will teach me how to operate a backhoe, wheel loader, dumptruck, scraper, bulldozer, compactor, hydraulic excavator, telescoping excavator, and motor grader and also laser/grade reading, grading/excavation siteplans/ layouts equipment maintence and transort trenching undergroud utilities, construction saftey and soils and compaction hasmat and cdl. it is 10 hours a day half in class and half operating and the school is 11 weeks long and you will be nationally certified (if that is worth anything i dont know but it sounds good)

There are schools that are closer but they dont teach half as much stuff as this one does there are two closer to me one is woodland wash. and one in eugene. I have tried to get a job as a laborer but they tell me they dont need laborers they need operators.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Banned

That sounds like some very good training. would sure help get your foot in the door. then after that experience, experience, and more experience.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Banned

Although after you do get hired somewhere don't make the mistake of being the typical newbee that went to school and knows everything, still be willing to learn.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:11 PM

i am always willing to learn new stuff the only way you can get smarter is to learn new things god gave you 2 ears to listen and only one mouth to talk so thats saying something right there.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 AM

Before deciding on the school, find out if they have a job placement program for their graduates. It is a big help in finding the open doors for employment. Be sure and ask for their hiring percentages. What percentage of their graduates actually get jobs and what kind of jobs. If they do not have a placement program and/or be willing to show you their success in getting jobs for their graduates, be very cautious of parting with your money.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most of these machines are fairly easy to master. The only thing I would want to goto school for would be for foundation digging, and utility's like gas lines, water lines, and electrical, because there's alot of money to be made there. Along with septic installation/removal in the county. But as far as going to school to learn how to operate any of those machines u mentioned, 11 weeks wouldn't be worth it to me, because it only takes a day in the seat to learn every control, then it's just learning on the job IMO, but it might be worth it to have it on ur resume. You should look into schools for the more technical side of equipment operating, like reading blueprints, utility's etc, because learning to run the machine is the easy part, and that sounds like what that class is.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:05 PM

It's hard to get seat time on most of those machines, especially so many in such a short time. Let me say this - school does not cost - it pays. You show many things besides being closer to a level of a certified operator by attending such a school. You show inititiave, creativity, willingness to sacrafice (cost of cousework, time & travel) as well as a humility in the sense that you take the role of a learner, willing to be trained new things. These attributes will contribute to you being a leader if you desire to be.

Here's a secret - companies prefer to hire prople who want to do more than just take a job and stay in that role. They want people who will lead and be teacher and coaces to others after they have some years under thier belt. Taking the role of the learner now will really help you from this perspective.

Once you complete, look at usajobs.com for forest-service and department of agriculture operator positions. Good luck with this!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:33 PM

If it's something you really want to do and you stick with it then school will be worth it. I went to the same school in Sun Prairie WI. It is a pretty good school and they do have job placement. It can be hard to find someone to hire you with little experience and school may help.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:04 PM

The school does teach utilitys reading blueprints and has job placement. I want to thank all of you for your opioions i am mailing off all my applications tommorrow to apply for the school again thank you, all of you have made this disicion alot easier. I will keep all of you posted as to how everything works out for me